The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Is this legal?!

dseagull

Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where they went caravanning. they bought an LED strip readout. Later, when they had created a queue of cars, the one immediately behind them was towing a horse box. The sign they posted? "Serves you right!" laugh.gif

Guest stuartp

You might get away with sticking the scrolling one on your roof (until it gets wet and goes pop) but I'm with Mezzoman on this - why ? I suppose it would give you something else to fiddle with inbetween adjusting your CD player, radio, sat nav, Ipod, phone, etc. It must be so distracting having to look up from all the gadgetry occasionally to see what's going on outside. Apart from anything else, road rage by proxy doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man.

• RMweb Premium

No I doubt its legality as well - anything else to distract a driver is just another nuisance to other road users - the number of accidents that are now caused by driver distraction is incredible - I have only the radio on when I drive - mobile is on voicemail, and no distracting CD changes, Satnavs, anr anything else - a mate of mine has a car with so many gadgets on it as standard that it's a bit like an Airbus flight deck in his car - and he seems to spend more time making sure that the gadgets are all doing what they should that he misses important things around him - you know, things like buses, red lights, kids crossing the road, etc...

I have seen quite a few traffic police cars with the long bar version of this in the back window. I saw it on the motorway a while back when a BMW 5 series traffic unit pulled in front of the car in front of me and put a message up on the unit saying please turn your fog lights off. After the car in front turned them off the traffic unit moved away further down the motorway.

Obviously there were two officers in the vehicle so the passenger would be operating the message unit leaving the driver to focus on the road.

Cheers

Martin

Illegal: the view in/through the windows should be clear and unobstructed... Sorry :P

Legal as long as you have clear view from two of your three mirrors, and if you placed it to one side of the back window you would still maintain vision form all three mirrors

Guest dilbert

I could think of far better things to spend ~£20 GBP on - apart from that, it looks like another one of those cases where technology is further advanced in relation to legal requirements.

For example, those travelling to/thru France by car this summer, it is worth noting that :

- it is not contrary to regulations to have onboard radar speed detection equipment

- however it is illegal to use it

Which gives way to strange behaviour - like when known speed traps are in the vicinity, a whole pile of brake lights redden up - the fear of a speeding fine is greater than something that could be very serious - material damage is one thing, injury and potential disability to people as a result of this type of (re)action is apparently not considered...dilbert

material damage is one thing, injury and potential disability to people as a result of this type of (re)action is apparently not considered

Not to open a can of worms, but surely this is only an issue if you're driving too close to react to the brake lights of the car in front of you in time...?

• RMweb Premium

"surely this is only an issue if you're driving too close to react to the brake lights of the car in front of you in time...? "

I was under the impression that this was fairly normal, despite being dangerous. I don't drive but am a frequent passenger + commuter cyclist. Staying a safe distance from the car in front often seems to result in somebody overtaking you and occupying said space. As for the device under discussion, I feel it has the potential to provoke 'road rage' or at least unwanted and possibly dangerous behaviour from some drivers.

Guest dilbert

Not to open a can of worms, but surely this is only an issue if you're driving too close to react to the brake lights of the car in front of you in time...?

While you can control your vehicle in relation to the traffic in front of you, when it comes to the behaviour of whatever is following, things become different...

One of missus d's acquaintances and three kids were 'crushed' when queuing on a road to a roundabout, the traffic at a standstill ... brakelights on and off (visible upfront), and yet this didn't stop the idiot behind hitting the victim's car at at an estimated 90kph (in a 50kph speed zone) with a loaded 40 tonne lorry... the rest of the story is so harrowing, I'll spare you the detail...dilbert

Guest dilbert

I just thought it was both cool and wonderfully geeky. Ticks all the boxes ;)

Sounds like it is commercially geeky. Cool, and ticks the boxes ?...Nah, there are other things in life that are way more important...dilbert

Sounds like it is commercially geeky. Cool, and ticks the boxes ?...Nah, there are other things in life that are way more important...dilbert

Oh, probably wont buy one. Payday will come, and other things will take priority! - did amuse me though.

I have seen quite a few traffic police cars with the long bar version of this in the back window. I saw it on the motorway a while back when a BMW 5 series traffic unit pulled in front of the car in front of me and put a message up on the unit saying please turn your fog lights off. After the car in front turned them off the traffic unit moved away further down the motorway.

Obviously there were two officers in the vehicle so the passenger would be operating the message unit leaving the driver to focus on the road.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, the Thames Valley Police down here have their unmarked patrol cars fitted with scrolling LED bars that lift up. If you watch Road Wars, you can see them being used.

Ok, those things way be usefull to the Police, but why would you want one, it would just distract you further from driving.

Simon

Guest jim s-w

if you could program it to say

"its driving rain and you are in a silver car - put your ****ing lights on you t***!" I'd have one.

Other favourites - 'its not foggy! You dont NEED fog lights!"

Cheers

Jim

BMW/Mercedes or someone are probably developing an automatic or voice activated version as we speak tongue.gif laugh.gif.

My most frequently used one would probably be "get out of the ******* middle lane you moron". But only in my imagination wink.gif , I'd never actually use one.

A bit of research reveals that....... yes...... the device is totally legal in the UK and EU countries, the makers sought and obtained full approval for the devices.......with the legal caveat that the use of these devices might well be a motoring offence!!!......in other words, inappropriate use that caused an accident for instance, could lead to prosecution for dangerous driving etc., etc.,

It could also contribute to a rejection of an insurance claim, the use leading to contributing to the blame for an accident, and reduction or rejection of claims, and liability for damages to others might be affected if the use contributed.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

if you could program it to say

"its driving rain and you are in a silver car - put your ****ing lights on you t***!" I'd have one.

Other favourites - 'its not foggy! You dont NEED fog lights!"

Cheers

Jim

If you could program it to show the writing backwards you could put it in the from windscreen and get to it to show "Stop hogging the middle lane you ****!" I'd definitely get one!

Legal to have as long as the driver does not operate it. It would be classed as driving without due care and attention if the driver were to use it whilst the vehicle was in motion. A passenger, however, would be free to operate it.

The kid down the road will be sure to want it - his car already resembles mission control with the amount of gadgets he has in and on it. It even makes the road glow blue underneath it when he drives along. Whatever floats his boat I suppose.

Archived