Best match for Hornby chocolate and cream?

Hi all,

As the title says really. I'm about to paint some upgraded old Hornby Collets to sit in a rake of their newer models. I want a reasonably homogenous finish and I'm guessing I'm not the first to try to match Hornby's rendition of these colours. I generally use airbrushable enamels or lacquers by the way.

Any help appreciated.

Will

I use Humbrol Service Brown and Cream for Great Western carriages. While the brown is, I think, a good match for Hornby's, the cream is not so far as Hornby's cream is concerned.

To my eye's, Hornby's cream looks like it has a tinge of green. They look fine, but you can see the difference between Humbrol's and Hornby's interpretation of cream quite readily.

When I was adding some extra cream to my long clerestories (Margate products acquired second-hand some years ago), I used Humbrol Cream, but as there was a difference in shading, I tried some Precision Pullman Cream I had, and found that the Precision Cream was a better match. However, the Margate cream is different from the cream used on the Chinese-made Hornby carriages.

All in all, I prefer Humbrol's Cream; but Precision's Pullman Cream is also good, though a somewhat different shade.

Dana

If you want the old Humbrol Authentic Railway colours some are still in the range. I bought some recently and they're exactly the same shade as the ones I bought about 1980.

Although the number of the chocolate has changed, used to be 102 ISTR.

98 Chocolate

103 Cream

More readily available than most of the other makes.

Jason