RMweb

Wiring Seep PM1 point motor to Peco SL 90 Insulfrog Double Slip

WILLIAM ADDISON

After receiving much help from forum members I have almost completed my layout control panel where I've successfully wired up many Seep PM1 point motors via a DC auxiliary power supply to power the Peco Electrofrog crossings which dominate my layout.  However, I still have a Peco SL 90 double slip to complete.  In fact, I have connected one point motor on the SL90 the same way as I wired all the electrofrogs WITHOUT any connection from the point motor to the live point frog itself (which is necessary on all the electrofrog crossings to ensure power continuity - the PM1 itself sorting out the polarity switching).  But I'm getting no response from my toggle switch linked to that point motor on the SL90.

Are there some wires from the PM1 (A C D E F B) which do NOT need to connected to the Peco SL90?  On the toggle switch itself I have connected the middle to the live common return, and on the PM1 point motor I have connected terminal D to the negative common return (all linked to my CDU which in turn is linked to the DC power source I use, the rest of my layout operating as a DCC system as I didn't want the complication of using DCC to power the Seep PM1s.

I've got the feeling that less wires need to be connected to get things working and I would be extremely grateful if forum members could advise me on this.  I hope I've clarified the problem but I'm still a relative model railway electrics novice.

Kind regards

Mick

Edited by WILLIAM ADDISON

Sorry I'm going to check the code again as my "short crossing" (if that's what it is) does have moving parts at either end under which I have installed the Seep PM1s.  I installed this some time ago and have concentrated first on wiring up all the electrofrog points and I'm looking for the original packaging and guidance sheet.  I can use the hand of God (me) to move them but would like to include them to automatic control via my control panel via a toggle switch.

It sounds like I'm using the wrong code to describe the part so please bear with me whilst I try and locate the original packaging etc. and come back with a more competent description.

William

3 hours ago, WILLIAM ADDISON said:

Are there some wires from the PM1 (A C D E F B) which do NOT need to connected to the Peco SL93?  On the toggle switch itself I have connected the middle to the live common return, and on the PM1 point motor I have connected terminal D to the negative common return (all linked to my CDU which in turn is linked to the DC power source I use, the rest of my layout operating as a DCC system as I didn't want the complication of using DCC to power the Seep PM1s.

Terminal C is the common on the Seep PM1, with A & B going to your switch.
As the slip is insulfrog the other connections (D E F) are not needed

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, WILLIAM ADDISON said:

Thank you Michael - there is truly some very useful material there.

William

As the topic starter, I would suggest editing your first post (via full edit) and correcting the title to say SL-90 Double Slip. 

• Agree 1

• WILLIAM ADDISON changed the title to Wiring Seep PM1 point motor to Peco SL 90 Insulfrog Double Slip

Hi

As this is the DCC section then basically you don't need anything done to the SL-90 and you can use metal rail joiners (Fishplates) all round. 

Operation wiring of the Seep PM1 is given further below.

However, Peco suggest on their SL-90 leaflet that DCC users may like to convert the DS point into what can only be termed as a "semi electrofrog" point motor operated switch wiring!  This involves cutting the link wires underneath each DS plastic frog area and twisting together the two wires coming from the frog rails. Solder these to a piece of flexible wire and do the same at the other end of the DS too. Fit IRJ (Insulated Rail Joiners) to rail ends of the DS and take the two newly fitted frog wires to the layouts underside and connect the left hand frog wire to the right hand PM1 tab F.  Connect the right hand frog wire to F on the left hand PM1.  Feed power from the normal DCC feed rails or from the DCC Bus pair to PM1 tabs D & E on each motor.  Ensuring these two feed wires are the correct way around on each motor.   Add as necessary new DCC rail feeds on the main tracks after the IRJs fitted on the DS.  An amended extract of the Peco SL-90 leaflet attached showing Seep PM1 connections.

For Seep PM1 operation link together tabs C and take a wire from one C to the common return wire for all motor return connections (Assuming you have a common motor return wire).  Feed one connection on your momentary lever or non locking panel switch etc to Seep tab A and the other connection to tab B.  Do the same for the other lever or switch to the other Seep Pm1 A & B tabs. Use 16/0.2mm (0.5mm2 or 20AWG) wire minimum for all connections.

Peco SL-90.jpg

Edited by Brian
Inserted image pushed down slightly

Thank you so much Brian, (and for much of your earlier guidance on such matters which helped me so much when wiring up all the Peco electro frog points and connecting them to Seep PM1s).  I'm shying away from the possible electrofrog conversion and just using it as a simple insulfrog PL90  as I'm not getting any stalling even on my short-base locos.  And a big thank you to all the other kind respondents.  Everything is working wonderfully now.

William

Edited by WILLIAM ADDISON
poor syntax on my part