The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Approaching retirement

AyJay

3 hours ago, BlackRat said:

have also encountered bitter widows whose joy was unbridled as they ditched golf clubs, fishing rods, and model railway equipment with the words…… he spent all of his spare time on these, such a waste, we could have done so much

Best to have a "what do I/ you/ we want from retirement conversation sooner rather than later, in that case!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm into my fourth retiral.   Age 53 I got a "golden handshake" early retirement from local government where I had been in overall charge of our local town hall.  I went back to my profession as a self-employed and ironically my former employers were my best clients.   Was approached by a local law practice but I declined to join them.   Age 58 along came the recession and having done next year's budget I decided to wind up my business.  At the same time the firm who had tried to recruit me two years earlier were now making redundant the three people they had successfully headhunted. So I decided to try a job which I might enjoy better, took a bus driver course and then a job with a local bus and coach operator.      I retired from there when I turned 66.    The Council transport manager had seen me driving buses and asked if I would like to go on their relief driver pool for the mobility buses, which went on to become almost a full time job.  I quit when I reached age 70 in June of this year.   I joined the local Men's Shed but have not been very frequently as I am the only one who chooses to wear a mask.  Still trying to adjust to retirement.   Filling some time buying broken old model trains on eBay, fixing them up and either keeping them or selling them on, but that can become an expensive hobby.  I must have become one of Peters Spares best customers!  The therapy which works best for me though is get out of the house and go for a walk.  Since June of this year I have been to the summits of several local hills which I had never been up before.   My wife is German.  Each of us has a daughter from a previous marriage, hers in Germany and mine in Scotland.     Sometimes we discuss the prospect of retiring to Germany.  There are pros and cons to be weighed up.  

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, AyJay said:

Then I have to ask, when there is 4ft of snow outside, will this idyllic property be isolated until the thaw and the answer is , 'Probably yes'.

I think there's a bit of a preconceived idea of what 'living in the countryside' actually means?

Where I live, we do get snow, now & again...but it's no worse than living in a town, as far as impact goes. In fact, if we get sufficient snow to make movement difficult, it becomes a 'notable event'.

An old chum, similarly lives in a small [off the beaten track-type] village, and has known more snow issues than I have [yet they live but 12 miles away]....my village have a major [B road] route passing by....He has always had what might be described as a typical agricultural 4x4 or two to use in those circumstances....but has discovered, an ordinary hatchback with steel wheels and winter tyres, does the job just as well, an is easier on the pocket...and nicer to park in the local towns too. [He had a fit when he discovered exactly how much his old Series 1 Landrover was actually worth on the open market....when he thought how many times he'd been into one town or another, and simply parked it, unlocked [pointless exercise], wherever he could. Now he's almost frightened to use it!!]

One other advantage of living 'out of town' in a more rural community is that, one seems to have a greater choice of local towns when it comes to using facilities?  I have found, if I go to one town, I can access Lidls and Tesco, doctors, etc....and if I go in the opposite direction I can access Sainsbury's and Aldi, as well as my dentist....Going in a third direction I can access bigger stores, etc....The fact that one town may be 6 miles away, another 12 miles away, really doesn't make much difference in the greater scheme of things....Possibly because, to get to these towns, I only have to pass through one or two small villages?

Maybe I'm ''lucky'' in where I am located?

ButI have always lived 'rurally' since the 1970's...and found that by doing so, I actually give myself greater choices.

Whereas, living in a town, one can become more internally focussed as far as facilities are concerned, with what exists within that town?

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, alastairq said:

One other advantage of living 'out of town' in a more rural community is that, one seems to have a greater choice of local towns when it comes to using facilities?  I have found, if I go to one town, I can access Lidls and Tesco, doctors, etc....and if I go in the opposite direction I can access Sainsbury's and Aldi, as well as my dentist....Going in a third direction I can access bigger stores, etc....The fact that one town may be 6 miles away, another 12 miles away, really doesn't make much difference in the greater scheme of things....Possibly because, to get to these towns, I only have to pass through one or two small villages?

Maybe I'm ''lucky'' in where I am located?

ButI have always lived 'rurally' since the 1970's...and found that by doing so, I actually give myself greater choices.

Whereas, living in a town, one can become more internally focussed as far as faculties are concerned, with what exists within that town?

I think the issue comes down to what you know and what you are used to - if you are used to being able to walk to all major facilities - supermarkets, shopping centre, doctors, dentist & hospital or it is only a short regular bus hop then it's going to be a massive adjustment when you out of town/city.  But if you have spent much of your life living this way then it is normal and you make adjustments as necessary.  In youth, you have time to plan, you have time to adapt, but once elderly it becomes more difficult, especially when you need additional support or you may no longer be able to drive.

My wife would love to live in the country, but she doesn't do the shopping, ferry people about to hospital, it would be me in for the shock and I am not sure I'm up for such a massive shift.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My wife and I carefully considered where we wanted to retire to. We'd both seen elderly parents get gradually cut off from the outside world. For her parents, we could do internet shopping remotely for them which worked. But my father would not have that, so when he gave up driving he was stuck. He had to be accompanied shopping. With non existent bus service, he grew increasingly isolated.

So we looked at what we wanted. Wife wanted to be by the seaside, so we could have downsized to there. But where we live is fine - plenty of buses, major A&E hospital 30 minutes walk away, shops within walking/mobility scooter distance. We don't need to rely on being able to drive. Over the first lockdown, the car didn't move for three months!

But we both enjoy volunteering on the Talyllyn. So we bought a static caravan, and now we can enjoy staying by the seaside and working!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

We're staying put!  

I would so love to have a railway room that is a 'slippers on' solution, but the funds just won't stretch to the ideal property.

Perhaps I might go and say 'hello' to my local club when I feel that it's safe to get out there.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I get my first pension next year when I will be 60.

I work a 3 1/2 day week already due to childcare - I have a 20 year old who lives with his mother & is now at University and my wife & I have two sons 11 & 13 who are autistic.

When I get to 67 they wont be that old which I am sure will keep me occupied.

My birthday is in October so assuming I'm not made redundant by then I doint see much point in retireing before April and after that am tempted to keep my hand in doing two days a week.

Well, I like a little light walking, grow my own vegetables, I am am member of a Model Railway Society & the local Model Engineers.  OK I dont 'Engineer' its mostly for middle son but I am sure I can turn up & do something with trains.

I might volunteer at a heritage railway 

Spend time with my wife 

I am cautiously optimistic

• Like 6