Triang Brush Type 2

On 13/11/2021 at 15:03, Halvarras said:

Not surprised you didn't attempt excavation of the missing cab door hand rail recesses, the near-impossibility of achieving all eight in a neat and tidy manner would have put me off the idea too! I wonder if anyone has ever attempted it.....? 

Guilty! - circa spring 1971. I basically cut vertical slots right through the bodysides either side of the doors, then back-filled with plasticard. Two strips of this were chamfered along the edge before cementing back to back. This gave a shallow 'gutter' which could be refined into an arc section with files and abrasive paper before the units were inserted in the body slots. I had on a previous occasion relocated the bogie pivots a bit further inboard, and raised in the bodyshell, to a more scale location.

A correction I couldn't envisage succeeding with was the  depth of the bodyside below the waist stripes, which Tri-ang made too shallow to achieve their standard buffer height. Despite this limitation, the model in this thread looks more convincing than the modern super-detail one from Hornby, which is way too slab-sided. The Tri-ang model, with its body open from the top, was able to be moulded with the gentle curve under of the bodyside without getting the walls too thick to mould reliably.

The Nim.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nimbus said:

Guilty! - circa spring 1971. I basically cut vertical slots right through the bodysides either side of the doors, then back-filled with plasticard. Two strips of this were chamfered along the edge before cementing back to back. This gave a shallow 'gutter' which could be refined into an arc section with files and abrasive paper before the units were inserted in the body slots. I had on a previous occasion relocated the bogie pivots a bit further inboard, and raised in the bodyshell, to a more scale location.

A correction I couldn't envisage succeeding with was the  depth of the bodyside below the waist stripes, which Tri-ang made too shallow to achieve their standard buffer height. Despite this limitation, the model in this thread looks more convincing than the modern super-detail one from Hornby, which is way too slab-sided. The Tri-ang model, with its body open from the top, was able to be moulded with the gentle curve under of the bodyside without getting the walls too thick to mould reliably.

The Nim.

Blimey, I had two back then and all I did was repaint them (5607 in blue and 5827 in green with arrows) so all credit to you for taking on the challenge - and the bogie shifting too! (I had another in the late 60s which I converted into a Brush Type 4 out of sheer desperation, which I still have........)

Like the Tri-ang model, the Airfix 31 had the lower bodyside valance centre extensions cut back to clear the bogies for trainset curves - I was aware of this shortcoming when fitting an Airfix body to a Hornby Railroad chassis but with a tight fit there was no way to reinforce fill-in pieces from behind and anticipating repeated failure of simple butt welds I ignored this. So I get your point above.

Although in the Tri-ang Class 37 thread I stated that nothing's impossible, some things probably are next to it! For example I've often considered backdating a Bachmann Warship to a disc headcode version - there's more work involved than most people realise, including the bodyside grilles having one support strut instead of two - the chances of cutting away the twin moulded struts and inserting one middle one in all 8 grilles so neatly that the work isn't obvious are so remote I just wouldn't attempt it. Fiddling with moulded grilles probably is, well, next to impossible. In my opinion anyway!

But, back to the Tri-ang Brush Type 2.......