Hornby tender wiring plugs

I was luck enough to buy a Hornby Schools at the exmoor models showc in Minehead at the weekend, a small but very good and enjoyable show it was, on the club's stand among the items  I bought a Hornby Schools,Wellington, sold as spair's  or repair,  well I have done very satisfactory repairs to it reattaching bits and repairing the cab roof, apart from the loco to tender wiring connection where one of the wires has pulled out of the plug.

can any one recommend a way of reconnecting the wire back into the plugs pin? It's tiddly and fiddly sized, am I best to get a new wireing and plug if you can ? Or hard wire the engine to tender or does any know a way of reconnecting the wire to the pin as it very fine to get the soldering iron in the plug !

Funny you should mention the schools.  My friend has recently taken one in hand to rewire and install proper wheels to replace the traction tyred ones.  You can see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/BritishModelRailwayMontreal/videos/561436918461280/

The late previous owner was rather rough with his locos and tended to pull the tender away from the loco without finesse.

The rewire job was extensive and entailed a total strip to access the motor and pickups.  Wires of the correct colour for DCC were then installed.  It is now hard wired I believe.  The Hornby plug system is quite horrid.

John

40 minutes ago, Graham456 said:

I was luck enough to buy a Hornby Schools at the exmoor models showc in Minehead at the weekend, a small but very good and enjoyable show it was, on the club's stand among the items  I bought a Hornby Schools,Wellington, sold as spair's  or repair,  well I have done very satisfactory repairs to it reattaching bits and repairing the cab roof, apart from the loco to tender wiring connection where one of the wires has pulled out of the plug.

can any one recommend a way of reconnecting the wire back into the plugs pin? It's tiddly and fiddly sized, am I best to get a new wireing and plug if you can ? Or hard wire the engine to tender or does any know a way of reconnecting the wire to the pin as it very fine to get the soldering iron in the plug !

I could do with a photo to see what the actual problem is.

• RMweb Gold

Agree with others - it's just too fiddly to repair unless you are an expert watchmaker! You need the replacement plug with wires (X6113 - see Ebay). As only one wire is loose you will be able to see exactly where each of the 4 wires go so that you can replicate that with the replacement. You may also need a bit of thin shrink-wrap for the joins inside the loco. I recently did the same repair on a Hornby King Arthur and the original plug had wires joined internally by shrink-wrap joins. Not difficult to do but fiddly!

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I could do with a photo to see what the actual problem is.

Thanks, i know a picture can be worth a thousand words But haveing only a Old I pad taking a picture is no problem but shrinking to a reasonable size is, especially with a Internet speed of 2m bit out in the sticks,

but thanks especially to Robert smith it looks like new one is the way to go at least from tonight's answer