Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

tractionman

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

OH MY G******!!.....    If that's Plan B -  WHAT THE  **** WAS PLAN A!!!!!

Jim's image I don't think is from dire Nick Cage movie Ghost Rider.

If it was I'd say Plan B (himself a mediocre actor and musician) would be to spin the wheel again.

Mr. Cage apparently doing something worthwhile three times out of ten.

(miow) C6T. 

Thanks PMP.  If you don't have the extreme reaction to cold hands that I do, I can vouch for these being both warm and comfortable - once you get used to riding in them

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCRG/carnac-waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMGNBhCyARIsANpUkzMtiIWnH8JoxFsNrNM-QN0O1349pM80HtmJHSJXar7wAW5DnL_-ztYaAs6oEALw_wcB#CLCARULCRG-MED-BFY

Edited by spikey
typo
  • Like 1

For those unable to sleep at night for wondering how the vexed issue of my cold fingers might best be resolved, I am pleased to report that a solution has been found.  I have just returned from a 7-mile test ride round the block in a biting wind and a still air temp of 2°C, and my fingers stayed nicely warm throughout thanks to a pair of "Day Wolf" heated gloves.

"Day Wolf" is a stupid name and £137 is a scandalous price for a pair of gloves, but viewed rather as the means by which I can keep riding through the winter, it's well worth it to me.

Point to note if anybody's ever thinking of buying some heated gloves - order at least two pairs to try out.  I got three different pairs, all sized as per maker's size guide, and two of them were way too big.  The biggest variable seems to be the relationship of finger/thumb length to palm circumference.

Edited by spikey
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs F and I braved the cold and drizzle yesterday to take part in the Salop Sludger a MTB/gravel ride starting out from Bishop's Castle.  The event raises funds for Midland Air Ambulance it's a point to point ride with grid references provided at each point.  Interesting mix of bikes taking part from full suss enduro MTBs to one lad who did it on a road bike with 28mm tyres and rim brakes!

20211211_090603.jpg.60b12ac03b88d16fc988ef7b521b72d7.jpgFB_IMG_1639304898501.jpg.f6baa228c271dd9466533aa5f99bf802.jpg20211211_105647.jpg.3c1a29c032150b938e0e81536f32665f.jpg20211211_111409.jpg.6edbf46f052cba1e87fb9e2f49aef46d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

Surprisingly warm, and a very humid SW wind smelling of rotting cabbage stalks out today.

The ground is remaining pretty firm too. A few of the usual quagmires are beginning to get going, but I’m safe putting-off changing tyres, which is good, because I hate doing that so much that I try to avoid it altogether!

The view from the driver’s seat wasn’t all that interesting today, I’m afraid.

CAFCD220-846E-4C1F-BDEB-A8476A91EBE2.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Shockingly I’ve done no miles at all on the bike this week and only managed 6 last week, I’m afraid I’m about to fall into that ‘can’t be bothered’ attitude so I really need to get out on it by the end of the week, I’ve got 2 jobs coming up, one of which could involve the bike but I have a trainee so I need to use the hire car

although saying that my trainee is a serious ‘Lycra brigade’ road racing cyclist and a member of a cycling club in Lichfield so he has said I’d we have another Hindlow job he will get his mountain bike out and we can do the high peak trail to Matlock at the end of it! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Nickey Line said:

Possibly over-wintering rape? There's loads of it round here... it stinks!

Quite likely to be the remains of sprouts.

Especially so given the time of year.

Not been to the local shops recently but you could in former times buy them on the stem.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Quite likely to be the remains of sprouts.

Especially so given the time of year.

Not been to the local shops recently but you could in former times buy them on the stem.

Bernard

Another brassica, another possibility. 

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

Another brassica, another possibility. 

No matter what posh name it goes by it will still stink.:D

There is a particularly obnoxious variety that grows in Alaska.

The  local bears are very fond of it.

I was told by a local that if you could smell it a bear had been chewing it less than ten minutes before.

You had to keep alert.

It is much safer in Beds ,Bucks and Herts.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2