The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

tractionman

• RMweb Premium

Managed to dodge the rain for three outdoor rides this week.  First up, last Monday the CliMachX MTB trail in the Dyfi forest (2 laps, attempting to keep up with Mrs F on her e-bike on the climbs).   If you look closely you can just about see the narrow gauge line at Corris in this photo.

IMG20240422113738.jpg.ee73ec6a9e8332120a848cd68baa4a58.jpg

Wednesday night was 20 mile loop around local lanes on the gravel bike, then Friday night a quick blast around some of the trails on Cannock Chase.

Great to get out without getting soaked, but this did mean today ended up being a bike maintenance day.  On Friday's ride, I noticed that the freehub on my hardtail was quieter than usual, I telltale sign that the pawls and springs were in need of some preventative maintenance.

IMG20240428121700.jpg.5e505ea4ec57da48b9324899b5e40633.jpg

Degreased, cleaned up and new springs fitted.

IMG20240428130747.jpg.77682ce32dbc14af7f23291552bef4b7.jpg

Quite a satisfying little job and that should keep it going a while longer.  Other than the bike that lives on our turbo, this is the last bike on our household running 11 speed - might upgrade to 12 speed in the summer.

• Like 6

Heading up to Scotland for a week with mum, and we've got room to pack my bike in the car, so gotta do a bit of fettling this week to make sure it'll be fine. Heading to the west coast, scoped it out on street view and looks to be a nice coastal path. I'll gauge the hills  when I get there to see if I want to try going inland. As a flatlander her in Peterborough, hills are not known to me.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 4

Today I crashed, quite badly and due to my own idiocy. Mucking about in the woods and there was a downhill , maybe 45 degrees for about 8 feet with a small (maybe 1 ft high "jump").

Me being an idiot decided to have a go. Front wheel dug in, I went over the handlebars and landed full body on my head. Helmet took the brunt and is cracked and dented. I've cut the bridge of my nose, got a stiff neck and really banged my head. I seem to have bruised my chest too, I really came down hard.

The kicker? I set up a camera to capture the jump, so the whole thing is on video, with a mic recording me talking.

If it weren't for my helmet, it could have been a snuff film. I was also on my own.

I'm thinking about what to do with the footage, I think I should use it as a warning.

20240430_201355.JPG.b4e88fc8d4b0cceb39fe3b0846dce228.JPG

You can see a dent in the top. There's also cracks in the foam so this helmet is compromised.

20240430_201437.JPG.fbce25949f9a67c2dca18b7a5ae4d22c.JPG

It could have been a lot worse, but wasn't thankfully.

If you're gonna try stunts, wear a helmet and make sure you've got someone with you, also know your limits. I'm not concussed and didn't black out. I've not felt sick or dizzy, just really sore.

Now to settle down and watch Oppenheimer.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Today I crashed, quite badly and due to my own idiocy.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, take it easy.

I've given myself concussion a couple of times; once on a section of blue graded trail centre and once on a red graded trail that I must have ridden 100s of times before.  Sometimes it just goes wrong, often when you least expect it - for that reason I don't ride without a helmet (and always replace a damaged helmet).

• Like 3

Got around to digging out the video footage of my crash earlier this week. Recorded a bit of talking to camera to provide a bit of context, but I do emphasise that it may be a bit hard for some to watch. I'm mostly fine now, still got a few aches but overall I'll be ok in a few more days.

https://youtu.be/rd70Lty54vQ

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Got around to digging out the video footage of my crash earlier this week. Recorded a bit of talking to camera to provide a bit of context, but I do emphasise that it may be a bit hard for some to watch. I'm mostly fine now, still got a few aches but overall I'll be ok in a few more days.

https://youtu.be/rd70Lty54vQ

Firstly, great news that you're on the mend, secondly kudos for sharing your experience.

From the video, it looks like you hit the take off in the saddle; getting out of the saddle is likely to make a huge difference and go some way to preventing an exit through the front door scenario like this as it will move the centre of gravity towards the rear of the bike.

Have a look at PFP's body position in the useful slo-mo here: 

https://www.facebook.com/share/aHGa1i2A67mg8wGA/

Note how she is standing up and behind the saddle at take off (pushing the bike away from her so effectively it is travelling slightly faster than she is when it leaves the ground).  Slightly bent knees and elbows on landing to absorb some of the impact.  She makes it look effortless; it's all about getting the timing right, which takes practice.

Take it easy and stay safe.

• Like 1

Yeah, its not discouraging me to try and push what I can do, but I think I need to be sensible and make smaller steps. Like you say I noticed how my body position did seem to put my weight forward, and of course I was still seated. I'll continue practicing little jumps off kerbs etc and build up confidence and technique.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Yeah, it’s not discouraging me to try and push what I can do, but I think I need to be sensible and make smaller steps. Like you say I noticed how my body position did seem to put my weight forward, and of course I was still seated. I'll continue practicing little jumps off kerbs etc and build up confidence and technique.

I just saw an elegant dismount

IMG_6115.webp.d691464eaf60cb1968466f07983da6f5.webp

• Funny 1

Posted (edited)

Went to local shop, picked up a new helmet, got one with the MIPS interior and have attached my gopro and light already. Old helmet is damaged so I can't trust it, bought a new one as heading up to Scotland to ride.

I could have gotten cheaper online, but the helmet is something that I need to buy in person to get the fit right. Also, crash replacement guarantee lol!

While I was there, did take a look at the bikes available to see what I can get when I have the money to upgrade my steed. Seem to be able to get a decent hard-tail for £1k (my budget). If I can get a full suspension for that or a few quid more I'd be happy enough.

20240507_135349.JPG.4580225c6016b11cd259eb387bf72270.JPGOff to Scotland this week and the bike is coming with me. Think I got a good deal.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At last, a bit of a break in the weather!

The past two weeks, I've managed to get out three times a week without getting soaked.  This week, we (that's Mrs F and me) are on holiday so we're expecting the rain to start again, but so far so good.  Today we drove down to Talybont-on-Usk for a ride in the Bannau Brycheiniog national park, which included the Brinore Tramway and The Gap descent.

IMG20240507102300.jpg.0117b4b6cbe28277d0d309f00f3321cf.jpg

IMG20240507123500.jpg.681e17c830309d4f5dc21885f6ecee93.jpg

IMG20240507123412.jpg.6344669d2423af5ee8cf16217b7644dc.jpg

IMG20240507123425.jpg.522d7d25a14862a97e67fa235b199c48.jpg

Excellent facilities at the Bike Hub in Talybont village too.IMG20240507144001.jpg.25c205b8c630ce9d6d27f859cb1c57d8.jpg

• Like 1