Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

tractionman

Only four months or so after our relocation to NW Cumbria N, I’m still getting to grips with how much sunshine bathes the coast in comparison to the fells and am still learning to juggle our outings to make the best of the weather on offer. The green scenery around the fells testament to the amount of rainfall they receive.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Whether or not running the hob for 5 minutes was any cheaper than new pads given the cost of gas I don’t know but it worked!! 

30 seconds should be plenty. We don’t have a gas hob, I’ve used a blowtorch before. 

The question should probably be how the oil got onto the pads, if you’ve not done anything to get it there. It’s possible (but unlikely) you’ve got a weeping piston seal or something. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, njee20 said:

30 seconds should be plenty. We don’t have a gas hob, I’ve used a blowtorch before. 

The question should probably be how the oil got onto the pads, if you’ve not done anything to get it there. It’s possible (but unlikely) you’ve got a weeping piston seal or something. 

to be honest I only did it for a few seconds 

I  seem to remember the previous owner saying he had accidentally got some oil on the brakes while he was lubricating the bike, even though I swapped the pads it’s most likely there was still some residue on the rotors which has transferred to the pads 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

The green scenery around the fells testament to the amount of rainfall they receive.

BeRTIe

and the wonky trees around silloth are testament to how much wind it receives! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, big jim said:

to be honest I only did it for a few seconds 

I  seem to remember the previous owner saying he had accidentally got some oil on the brakes while he was lubricating the bike, even though I swapped the pads it’s most likely there was still some residue on the rotors which has transferred to the pads 

Yep, very likely. It tends to soak into the pads easily too, so giving them a cook and cleaning the rotors should see you right. 

When i worked at the shop we had multiple people either cleaning their rotors with GT85/WD40 or actually oiling their brakes to stop them squealing. Terrifying. 

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, big jim said:

and the wonky trees around silloth are testament to how much wind it receives! 

You have been unlucky with your recent visits Jim…arriving just as the best cycling weather ends, or leaving as it starts. Living here it is easy to avoid the too windy & wet spells for cycling.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

You have been unlucky with your recent visits Jim…arriving just as the best cycling weather ends. Living here it is easy to avoid the too windy & wet spells for cycling.

BeRTIe

tell me about it, so gutted on Monday when I had to come home and the weather brightened up! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/08/2022 at 21:40, Mark Forrest said:

Spent today watching the Commonwealth Games XC racing at Cannock Chase.  Really good day out and great to see Evie Richards take the win in this afternoon’s race.

29994902-94B2-47CC-9CC2-A92CFCDA579B.jpeg.b1cd16ca338c78655fc0af5773e700b7.jpegBBCF40EA-B5B9-4A2E-87B6-8E30A5FF040B.jpeg.635439cf4c300d53a90900e63563c2ac.jpeg3987AA84-2155-4402-9A44-43BE05DA89FC.jpeg.9485d0a9e89b61fa3e7d7ed3e3bd77a6.jpegE7788021-B9AF-4144-BC7D-EDD73E79425B.jpeg.decacac81215a9659336a094128386d7.jpeg27E9433D-87E3-492B-94FB-8A205E3F1087.jpeg.4e85590ce0ff853c5e06c38ced12466c.jpeg

Absolutely. She has had a dreadful year/

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Something I've been meaning to do for a while is pop out for an after work ride when I'm working away in Herts.  Usually the temptation to take a walk from my hotel to a local pub for a couple of pints is just too tempting, but today I put the gravel bike in the car and set off for a 20 mile loop straight after work before heading to my hotel.

20220810_174921.jpg.53bef993a340310daf2b2d7d1a99e659.jpg

Not quite as hilly as I'm used to, but good the get out at the end of a long and busy day.  A bit of old railway line, a bridleway through a few fields (which, if I'm honest, I'd avoid and stick to the road next time) and lots of quiet lanes with very little traffic.

Screenshot_20220810-214929_Strava.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

a bridleway through a few fields (which, if I'm honest, I'd avoid and stick to the road next time)

What?!

We’ve had the longest bridleway bashing season in decades, and you complain about bridleways?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Not quite as hilly as I'm used to, but good the get out at the end of a long and busy day.  A bit of old railway line

Very much  part of my stomping grounds; there's hills to be found if you know where to look! Actually, we used some of those lanes on today's club run. Incidentally, that bit of old railway line was where they filmed the train scene in 'Saving Private Ryan'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking for something else on google maps and I stumbled on a path running on the old trackbed from market harborough to Northampton which I fancy giving a go on the hybrid bike (looks too rough for the racer) 

the Brampton valley Way, only 18 mile but looks interesting, runs alongside the Northampton and Lamport railway for a short section  

https://www.komoot.com/tour/882657296?ref=itd&share_token=aqXIyKSQ3F8rv3mUoFwJm7k6hZLXLqbmdalzSpuFxrTEcW3gKF

I’ve saved that as a planned route but also expanded on it, adding another 20 miles to take me on to Bletchley station, going to try and do one or the other by the end of summer if I get a chance, train to market harborough and back from Bletchley seems the best option 

https://www.komoot.com/tour/881515829?ref=itd&share_token=avGubFJ4LPB55qqcnLWkQgqOXCVam6GiK51j2hoxWNSaCKMv3i

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

It’s a good one, easy enough, but satisfying to trundle along, has tunnels, and runs parallel with the Pitsford & Brampton preserved railway.

It is pretty bumpy in places, and has big muddy puddles in wet weather, so not one for a pure road bike.

On to Bletchley your best bet is to continue mostly following NCN6. The route you’ve picked works, but is a bit grim at the southern side of Northampton and again through MK/Bletchley.

Give me a shout if you fancy companionship, need a guide through the confusing maze that is the MK path network, or fancy bit of dinner. I live within yards of NCN6 in MK.

A39B3336-F854-42B7-9C95-687DD8FB7536.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Fingers crossed she can retain her title World Champs in Les Gets; although I suspect PFP and Lecomte will be hard to beat.

Those two haven't been doing so well this year in the World Cup races, did they opt out of the North American Rounds?  Yolanda Neff was on fine form at the weekend. Seems crazy having the European and World championships on successive weekends. I see Tom Pidcock is entered in the Europeans.

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

What?!

We’ve had the longest bridleway bashing season in decades, and you complain about bridleways?

Not so much the bridleways, more my choice of bike for riding them.  Basically, I've been spoilt since upgrading a few bits and fitting faster rolling tyres to my hardtail, I find the gravel bike with its 38mm tyres and rigid fork a bit of a chore off road - not helped by the fact that a recent tendon injury in my arm doesn't cope too well with rougher stuff.  The hardtail is now only marginally slower on road and a quicker and more comfortable off road so tends to be my default for anything involving more than short sections of off road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

Very much  part of my stomping grounds; there's hills to be found if you know where to look! Actually, we used some of those lanes on today's club run. Incidentally, that bit of old railway line was where they filmed the train scene in 'Saving Private Ryan'.

I'll have to look a bit harder for those hills next time I'm down that way 😀

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Those two haven't been doing so well this year in the World Cup races, did they opt out of the North American Rounds?  Yolanda Neff was on fine form at the weekend. Seems crazy having the European and World championships on successive weekends. I see Tom Pidcock is entered in the Europeans.

Yes, great to see Jolanda doing well.  I think both Pauline and Loana have commented in interviews that they are focused on Worlds - yes both missed Snowshoe and MSA rounds of the World Cup.  Hope that Pidcock does well at Europeans (was a real shame he wasn't at the Commonwealth Games) think it's been hinted at that he'll be at Worlds too.  Not only is it Euros then Worlds, it's the final round of the World Cup in Val di Sole a week after World Champs, so a busy month ahead for them.

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Basically, I've been spoilt since upgrading a few bits and fitting faster rolling tyres to my hardtail,

Interesting stuff. I bought the secondhand 29er for my son and I to share, and have attempted to make it fit the bridleway task, because logic suggests that it ought to do so better than my main bike, but I still can’t get on with it. I find it horribly heavy at the front, and it seems to have no “go” when the opportunity is there. My son, however, likes it, even though I’d swear it’s half a size too big for him, so it’s officially wholly his now, except when it comes to maintenance!

What will happen come the winter and wet ground we shall have to see - maybe I’ll borrow the 29er back, or maybe I’ll just keep off the gloopiest sections.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, big jim said:

I was looking for something else on google maps and I stumbled on a path running on the old trackbed from market harborough to Northampton which I fancy giving a go on the hybrid bike (looks too rough for the racer) 

the Brampton valley Way, only 18 mile but looks interesting, runs alongside the Northampton and Lamport railway for a short section  

https://www.komoot.com/tour/882657296?ref=itd&share_token=aqXIyKSQ3F8rv3mUoFwJm7k6hZLXLqbmdalzSpuFxrTEcW3gKF

I’ve saved that as a planned route but also expanded on it, adding another 20 miles to take me on to Bletchley station, going to try and do one or the other by the end of summer if I get a chance, train to market harborough and back from Bletchley seems the best option 

https://www.komoot.com/tour/881515829?ref=itd&share_token=avGubFJ4LPB55qqcnLWkQgqOXCVam6GiK51j2hoxWNSaCKMv3i

Its a good ride. But take a good front light as the tunnels are very datk, or were the last time that I did it. Getting through Northampton is rather messy.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can’t be trusted to be let anywhere near a cash converters on payday! 

47AE6CE6-4003-4BAA-A02D-6EDBCC0C82CB.jpeg.ccfec38361caca630101f697fb172228.jpeg

just bought this to replace the whyte hybrid, much as I love it and I’ll be gutted ti sell it on since I’ve had the road bike I’ve felt I’ve needed more gears, I mentioned a while back about putting a twin front crank and derailleur on it which I was still thinking about but this bike came up at the right price (I’m my eyes!) 

A 2022 cube SL road, large frame 16 speed as opposed to the 8 on the whyte, 10.2 kg so a couple of kg lighter too, slightly wider schwalbe tyres, virtually Brand new, I recon it’s not been set up properly as it’s jumping between cogs in a couple of gears so need a bit of fine adjusting 

• Like 4