The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

tractionman

Less than usual for this time of year, because I divide my hobby time, which seems to amount to a chunk of Monday, and a chunk of Thursday in most weeks, between cycling and toy trains, and having promised my layout into an exhibition early next month, and having prioritised cycling for rather a long time, I have perhaps more to do to get ready than I really should!

Here a picture of a part-finished station, and one of a rural byway, to give you a flavour.

A6BA680F-0407-4E23-8B7C-06BE92307BB5.jpeg.e64a5ce418550f145d55437641a79dc4.jpeg

DBEAF287-044D-4953-9FAD-863EB8B64C4E.jpeg.ff8b7e43d667143935651666342ec4c5.jpeg

• Like 3

I gave my 11 speed road bike an outing for the frst time in a month yesterday - the weather has been pretty appalling, if its not been raining their has been strong cold wind blowing. Yesterday the rain stopped, the wind dropped and the sun came out so I took it out on a steep test ride of 80ft/mile with a 11-40 cassette on the rear wheel, its original rear that has been the spare since in error fitting it with a replacement 11-30 cassette instead of a 11-32. I had some years back needed a new front and got a pair off ebay which had a 10 speed rear. I discovered Shimanos 11 speed 11-34 cassette also fitted a 10 speed wheel so have been using that.

Decided to try a 11-40 in a hope of less use of Shanks Pony on steep climbs and flogged the hardly used 11-30 to a work colleague.

Needed a "Roadlink" fitting to drop the height of the derailleur to increase its capacity appropraitely and it all worked fine with no adustments needed and importantly no chain offs durring the ride. Oddly the bike seemed a lot faster downhill / on the flat so probably need to check the other wheel.

The rear derauilleur is a medium which is almost okay - the chain when the bike is parked up on the smallest sprockett and chainwheel is dropping towards the chainstay but thats a cross chained combination not to be chosen when riding.

The route included what Strava list as a cat 4 climb  - the climb upto the highest point of the ride but the next longer climb is I would say an eqivalent given its length.

7 may elevation.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Other than the Peleton most mornings at 5:30(ish) I had my first proper ride of the year last week.  I took the caravan to Monifeith for a few days.  Cycled from there to Dundee, hopped on a train to Arbroath and cycled from their back to Monifieth. Around 25 miles all told, with a fair wind at my back (hence the train and always riding south, south-west).

The section from Arbroath links to East haven is hard packed gravel, but the rest is paved tarmac,  all flat and runs alongside the Edinburgh to Aberdeen section of the ECML the whole way.  Most enjoyable and a couple of good spots for railway photography.

Most enjoyable.

Best

Scott.

IMG_9733.JPG

My Two wheeled mount on my four wheeled mount

IMG_9732.JPG

East Haven Beach

IMG_9730.JPG

Cycle path at East Haven Beach

IMG_9692.JPG

Monifeith

IMG_9687.JPG

East Haven Beach

IMG_9686.JPG

Arbroath from the South.

EDIJ4876.JPG

Trusty Steed

CJKG4818.JPG

Carnoustie Golf Club, Hotel and Spa

IMG_9684.JPG

Signalling Tower, Arbroath - It was built to communicate with the lighthouse on Bell Rock.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I’ve only managed 2 miles this week to the station, shockingly I’ve only done 50 or so miles this year, this time last year I was at about 500 miles

i did struggle a bit yesterday but I was in full orange work gear with a heavy rucksack on, I’ve really got to get back out there for longer rides as I’ve got a 50 mile charity ride in July

One good thing is I’ve lost my long term hire car from work, that made me lazy using it to get to and from work on jobs where I could have used the bike, hopefully now it’s not here it will motivate me to get out more 

• Like 2

I am enjoying that the mornings are getting brighter much earlier, I usually set off around 4.30am so now am only in the dark for 45 mins or so. Last weekend I went past Badminton where they were setting up for the horse trials but it only takes part on a small area of the estate, this bit was deserted 

20230429_051552.jpg.4a9f5537faff7d688f02bb375766a7c0.jpg

Edited by 37114
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Three rides last week, all on the gravel bike.

Last Monday 66 miles around local lanes, reaching as far Waterhouses, on the Leek and Manifold railway.

IMG20230501120012.jpg.42005bbb21b06a5b5b93c3e52f0c657d.jpg

On Wednesday, work took me to Welwyn Garden City - I took the bike with me and managed a quick 20 mile ride.  I stayed mostly on roads, but did explore a couple of bridleways.  Towards the end of the ride, with about 2 miles to go, I got a puncture - I think only the second one since setting my bikes up tubeless about 6 years ago that didn't seal itself almost immediately. Eventually it did seal and I was able to make it back to my hotel.

IMG20230503181702.jpg.3ec4b70e21f6191c28b0a1d127a6d62d.jpg

Yesterday, another gravel ride, repeating a ride we did on MTBs back in January out with a mate of mine who normally rides road/does triathlons but has just got himself a gravel bike.  A 33 mile loop starting from Parsley Hay, through Bakewell up to Calver then over to Miller's Dale using a nice mixture of quiet lanes, High Peak and Monsal trails and a few bridleways.

IMG20230507094947.jpg.ef87eef37776e8c7f05dcbab5ce784e8.jpg

IMG20230507125828.jpg.041c0a39deb4a420ad9173f0501b652a.jpg

Not a bad week!

• Like 8

I managed 36 miles yesterday around the Hitchin to Biggleswade area while SWMBO had some business in Hitchin.

Nice to get out in some decent weather. Averaged 14mph plus on the heavy winter bike, so quite pleased now that I am the wrong side of 80.

Bernard

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs F and I are off work this week, so went out for a ride today.  As usual, we let the weather determine where to go and ended up driving up to the Yorkshire Dales, starting out ride just south of Grinton.

IMG20230509103552.jpg.61108035b7bfde03c16cebb10792c814.jpg

After a fairly brutal climb, we dropped down to Castle Bolton.

IMG20230509105247.jpg.a81bcba5b29595fd352e2e8fe6d73894.jpg

After that, a headwind did it's best make hard work of what should have been a reasonably fast traverse before climbing again, then descending from Greets Hill to How Hush.

IMG20230509131634.jpg.2081e5daff092e4a7c90dc65a2511ca4.jpg

A nice ride and stunning views - the weather treated us kindly too (except that headwind).  Tough going at times with 3400' of elevation in a 22 mile ride, worth it though.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Llandegla yesterday.  I'm not normally a big fan of riding here, but had a really good ride.  Last time we were there (September last year) some of the more interesting sections of the red trail were closed due to forestry work, but these were all open yesterday; just one black graded section still closed due to storm damage.

IMG20230512114114.jpg.7228ac8d193e4eb774d2b162f119c99b.jpg

IMG20230512121200.jpg.8e665fd083bb4df350902857b5870dd5.jpg

IMG20230512121209.jpg.733d388fcb30233aac6cb75582fac9f2.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Started a little project today to ride the Trans Cambrian Way - a 100 mile mostly off road route from Knighton to Dovey Junction.  Personal circumstances mean we're unable to do it by riding the entire route over three consecutive days, camping or staying in B&Bs along the route.  Instead, we'll break the route down into sections and ride them as an out and back or (as we did today) incorporate it into a loop.  Not setting any time limit, we'll just do it when the mood and weather suits this type of ride.

Today a relatively gentle start; Knighton to Pool Hill on the TCW, then a mixture to bridleways and lanes back to Knighton. 

A few bits of railway interest as we rode parallel with the Heart of Wales Line for much of the ride including the climb out of Knucklas where the trail climbs alongside the viaduct.

IMG20230515094326.jpg.6d5fb0517f203bc47c552c4164e6bf4c.jpg

IMG20230515100920.jpg.9dfa8d5780113e5af548b720a29679df.jpg

IMG20230515112517.jpg.d8885df83ff6c228a78ee0421b20a0a1.jpg

IMG20230515124111.jpg.ae8b58b4ceb45bc3a2f0a58528787aa6.jpg

• Like 6

So 2 weeks ago my rear tire went BANG! Thankfully not too far to walk home, but now I need to replace both the tire and tube. I had the tire at 65psi (rated 40-65psi) as I'm a big fat git. If the tire isn't rock hard, them I might as well be riding on the rims lol.

Can anyone recommend a good quality but inexpensive 26x2.35 tire and tube for a crossover? The other tire is dated from 2013 also so might swap both out.

I’m not clued-up on tyres that wide, but something very dependable is the Continental Contact Plus, which is good for roads and benign paths. That seems to go up to 26x1.75 though.

Have you checked pressures using an n-line calculator? This one is good https://silcavelo.eu/pages/sppc-form

Rock hard isn’t usually good for comfort, and is probably unnecessary on wide tyres.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1

My thoughts were harder = less resistance, which admittedly felt right. I think the tire went pop either due to a piece of glass I didn't see or it'd perished due to the age. Makes sense to swap out both though.

The “harder equals less resistance” thing is true on a perfectly smooth surface, but on “real world” surfaces if the tyres are so hard that they pass significant vibration to the bike, the suspension if there is any, and/or the rider, lots of energy is used that way, more than is saved on the odd smooth bit. For that reason, it is worth looking at the pressure calculator, rather than pump up to the maximum tolerable pressure. 

But, yes, old tyres eventually die.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cow parsley, buttercups & sun cream cycling around The Solway plain just now.

More Dawes components on my Sonoran proving sub standard...first the pedals, now the mudguards with the flimsy plastic extensions to make one size fit all failing. Fend Off metal, adjustable mudguards fitted today...much nicer appearance and significantly more robust...

BeRTIe

IMG_4097.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I might come up to silloth for a bit next week, I’ve got work at the weekend then 10 days of rest days so fancy a few days away from it all so if your about we can go for a little ride somewhere hopefully

I actually fancy going back up the west highland line again and having a couple of rides but I’d have to see how the weather is and how the train strikes will effect me

I planned these after seeing Timmy mallet on Twitter doing some rides up that way

Crainlarach to Stirling 

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1065105794?ref=itd&share_token=alKViRO2AYyqvZj7rSKqsaJev2km7XRUcHWxJJQ42Iv3RUgvfx

Tarbet to hells pass 

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1065827276?ref=itd&share_token=aP2Ycodav5tqkcCRCpf6QdNSmeZaybKhumpp8jhBd5cPNxgPuB

• Like 1

...the West Highland midges will be planning a Big Jim munch...some rides are best Spring or Autumn.

We play pool at Mawbray village hall on Tuesday...come and join in.

Always on for some dry weather cycling...why not do the 20 mile High Laws, Goodyhills, Wolsty circuit with me?

BeRTIe

IMG_4108.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

So 2 weeks ago my rear tire went BANG! Thankfully not too far to walk home, but now I need to replace both the tire and tube. I had the tire at 65psi (rated 40-65psi) as I'm a big fat git. If the tire isn't rock hard, them I might as well be riding on the rims lol.

Can anyone recommend a good quality but inexpensive 26x2.35 tire and tube for a crossover? The other tire is dated from 2013 also so might swap both out.

What sort of surfaces are you riding on?

In my experience, you can't go much wrong with something from the likes of Schwalbe or Maxxis.  If you're looking to reduce rolling resistance you could run something narrower.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

What sort of surfaces are you riding on?

In my experience, you can't go much wrong with something from the likes of Schwalbe or Maxxis.  If you're looking to reduce rolling resistance you could run something narrower.

I’ve got schwalbe marathon plus on my commute bike, I went narrower to reduce the rolling resistance as I was finding it hard going switching from the carbon road bike with its narrow tyres and going back to the fatter tyred hybrid, as I’m out on the road bike less and am not as fit as I was 6 months ago I might we’ll go back to the fatter tyres for a bit more comfort 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Mainly roads and cycle paths but sometimes across grass really. I want to maintain some versatility though.

The Continental Contact Plus seem to be a comfortable compromise of [mainly] road work, with good grip and comfort, with low friction at 40 - 45 psi.  {Note - I'm about 11 St, so it may be worth a bit of adjustment of pressure, given your weight comment]  I also agree with the comment that pressure, too high will pass on significant vibration to the bike and have experienced the same very significant, reduction in performance [and comfort] from too high pressure.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Mainly roads and cycle paths but sometimes across grass really. I want to maintain some versatility though.

I'm running 38mm Schwalbe G-One All Round on my gravel bike for riding much the same sort of surfaces (with the occasional bit of rocky and/or muddy bridleway thrown in for good measure).  It doesn't look like they do these for 26" wheels though.

The Marathon Plus that Jim suggested is definitely worth a look. 2.35" seems wide for that sort riding so I'd consider going a little narrower.