coil j drawing help

heavymetalwagons

a couple of years ago i built a load of coil j's in 4mm and from at least two articles was informed the sides should be 6 to 6.5 mm high 

then i picked up this of ebay IMG_20211109_165029.jpg.338ba2915a43c7de82f13f7398419e24.jpgIMG_20211109_165146.jpg.5d64e383e007597f20d51f48ba678d01.jpgaaaaaaaaaaaaIMG_20211109_165221.jpg.c7c075192f855927a5058697ea385269.jpg

and as we see the drawing says the body should be 700mm high 27.5inches which would work out at 4mm scale at 9mm high !! .

at first i panicked thinking i'd built them all wrong but after thinking a bit the coil j's and coil c's ran together and in the photo's look to be almost the same height (well not 200mm /8inch difference)

plus again looking at paul's wagon photos the data panels seam to fit better on a 6mm high side and look wrong on a 9mm high side 

so i think the drawing wrong .have they measured the total height including the solebar which would still make the overall height still wrong !!

anyone got any better ideas !! please help 

many thanks all

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Paul's pictures, certainly the proportions are nothing like your drawing, so your 6mm seems better. 

If you get a decent side-on view, you could use GIMP to test it against your pics and determine it definitely.

I built some of these last year. I also found that diagram and dimension. I discounted it and scaled the height of the sides off known dimensions by downloading the full size version of one of Paul's photos from his website. I think I made mine to 7mm high.

coils-002.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

I wonder if the confusion is with the unique KJV https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoilj/e269b254a 

It is unlikely  to have been an important measurement for BR. BR diagrams are not suitable for modelling. 

Paul

Was also thinking if it was that wagon but the drawing says sjo and the experimental one is vacuum fitted. But if it was that wagon could still be of use as i liked the idea of building that one.

Was hoping you'd reply paul as you're the wagon master and if anyone could figure it out it would be you 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

I built some of these last year. I also found that diagram and dimension. I discounted it and scaled the height of the sides off known dimensions by downloading the full size version of one of Paul's photos from his website. I think I made mine to 7mm high.

coils-002.jpg

Like yours. One of the reasons i built mine was quite a simple build. But the weathering versions was the thing that stood out for me