Triang English Electric Type 3

Darius43

Forgot I had this. Bought this moons ago just for the motor so I has spares for my Two EM2's. Unfortunately it was dead so didn't yield much. Ah well it was only £3!.  whoever repainted it fitted South-eastern Flush Glaze but in doing so carved off the side window frames. Don't know what paint was used but my usual method of an IPA Bath just wouldn't get all the pint off. Think I might have some Precision paints Stripper left somewhere. Think I will strip this one and go DRS for my Littleman.

20211215_133226.jpg.c5c20f093bc24e025e921b220edc9ada.jpg

20211215_133305.jpg.db9048049690f92623555a1fa0bdfece.jpg 20211215_133226.jpg.c5c20f093bc24e025e921b220edc9ada.jpg

20211215_133305.jpg.db9048049690f92623555a1fa0bdfece.jpg

20211215_133318(1).jpg.7f0ab9a09bc958e52c512725d4a00ed3.jpg

20211215_133318.jpg.f17c9c69fab525dd57ed84827c504077.jpg

Thanks again Darius 43 for giving us some inspiration and a kick in the butt and showing what can be done with these.

Cheers Trailrage  

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Trailrage,

The SE Finecast flush glazing has the side window frame molded on as part of the vac formed glazing insert.

I used SEF flush glazing on my Type 3s and masked the frame and painted it on the SEF inserts before fitting them - having first removed the frames from the body.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Don't know what paint was used but my usual method of an IPA Bath just wouldn't get all the pint off.

Have you tried bathing in Dettol, worked a treat on one difficult old class 37 and far cheaper...!  12~24 hours should do it.  Used 3 x 500ml bottles at £3 each and a hand basin.  After use, filtered it and put it back in the bottles for next time.

Edited by NFWEM57
Additional Info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice video.  The cast bogies aren’t rare having the steps in the wrong place for the Type 3.  This was the case for all of the Triang Hornby Type 3 models with cast metal bogies.

The cast steps are also in the wrong place on the Triang Hornby Brush Type 2 models that are fitted with the same cast bogies.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Nice video.  The cast bogies aren’t rare having the steps in the wrong place for the Type 3.  This was the case for all of the Triang Hornby Type 3 models with cast metal bogies.

The cast steps are also in the wrong place on the Triang Hornby Brush Type 2 models that are fitted with the same cast bogies.

Cheers

Darius

If you look at the video when he is comparing the motor bogies (about 5m50s), the original bogie has the steps cast at the opposite end to where the hook is fixed, which is the end they normally are.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 14:02, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Hi

What i mean about the steps is that they are cast correctly for a class 31 (type2) but on this particular bogie they are cast at the opposite end to what they should be. 

Dan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 10 months later...
On 28/11/2021 at 15:23, Halvarras said:

I've found a Hornby 37 body and original chassis frame (only) on sale, just ripe for a Railroad transplant as you've done.......oh gawd, why did I even look, now I feel a sense of inevitability coming on.........just ignore it :read: maybe it will go away......!!

Oh dear. It didn't go away.......yes, it was inevitable because there's just something about Large Logo Blue Class 37s, and especially on the only locomotive Swindon Works turned out in this livery (AFAIK), in April 1984 - here it is on the 8th:

149095510_840408_37183SwindonSP1.jpg.200a10a5429d69926b4780a22e66fc2f.jpg

251658279_840408_37183SwindonSP2.jpg.4a9e8a2d1663ae53ebd4b8e6ed8abbd1.jpg

I was so taken with it at the time, plus the realization that 37183's retention of glass headcodes, frost grilles and bufferbeam valancing matched the Hornby model, that I had one repainted before year's end and running on a layout at the local exhibition. However it was sold on a few years later as I had no real use for it myself and had moved onto other things. But having inadvertently got into modelling the 1980s in recent years (blame that on a Class 37 as well.....) @Darius43's thread here renewed my interest in this loco and by now I had enough bits to hand to have another go, but do it better. As mentioned nearly a year ago (apologies for the delay but I've done a mass of other stuff as well!) I had found a blue D6830 body and chassis frame on sale to follow what Darius had done with Railroad bogies but the same seller also had this mint factory-painted body for just 50p more (you can see what I tackled first) and I had a spare decent-running Lima Class 37 chassis donor, so in early January I grabbed it and it was game on:

37183_WIP_1.jpg.1f50025798f39d17abd78423e1914f67.jpg

'Part-numbered' Hornby Class 25s from this era pop up regularly but I'd forgotten this Class 37 even existed. I saw the possibility of retaining the blue bodysides and repainting everything else to speed it up a bit, 'speed' in my case being a relative term (NB there appears to be a number of tooling variations on this centre headcode bodyshell, this one has no chassis slot in one end, roof horns, yellow panel outlines or nose side handrails - and new lamp brackets - but a pity they didn't tackle those awful marker lights). Leaving the blue bodysides untouched meant ignoring the fact that 37183 was RSH-built so should have the extra cantrail grille bracing, but I avoid messing with grilles anyway because it's so difficult to do neatly. So here's what I had to work.......I mean play with:

37183_WIP_2.jpg.d9da42c22e5e27432761406e651ffe7b.jpg

The Craftsman etched windscreens proved unsuitable and were substituted by the A1 Models version I also had in stock - they had slightly more 'meat' on them to file to shape (it looks like both etches were intended for the Lima model) - even so I found it necessary to reprofile the nose top sides above the nose grilles by scraping them down, to try to make the nose tops more rounded to get the etch to fit top to bottom edges. So after dunking the ends in Superstrip and some filling, sanding and drilling on the ends it got this far:

37183_WIP_5.jpg.8c7703488db22d9952f569546ac7c10f.jpg

I don't think forming the headboard brackets from filed-down track nails was the best idea as they're a bit too big. Oh well.... It then went on the backburner while I got on with other things, and it was late September before I grabbed it and a can of Railmatch yellow to spray the ends outside. What is it with yellow paint these days? - I still had to apply two coats of  Precision yellow by brush for complete coverage, especially in the grilles. It never used to be like this. Anyway progress was reasonably swift after that (by my standards, which differ somewhat from Darius's!), other colours were hand-painted, a coat of Railmatch rattle can satin varnish sealed it all and last Wednesday the body was triumphantly placed on the chassis and........it's riding too high🤔. Should have checked that at the above stage.......cue 3 hours' more work to lower it circa 1mm (a scale 3 inches?....well, it shows) and it's finally done. Hoo-bloomin'-ray!!

37183_1.jpg.d17ebb0c602c3afc87b7e835ce116fb6.jpg

37183_2.jpg.391e8638a7305de67601be977597b026.jpg

37183_5.jpg.f8ced3921aa09dd68f02ab6a5d13be02.jpg

37183_3.jpg.acfb0c453ad8bc67f0358ee8b823692d.jpg

The dry-print large logos are a little smaller than they should be but the larger versions on the sheet are intended for Classes 47/50/56 and too big to fit so it had to be these (TBH I'm surprised they came off a 30+ year-old sheet at all without problems!) I know the OHLE flashes are the wrong earlier pattern but these are what I have - lots of them! The snowploughs came pre-formed and I should have bent them the other way to hide the etched fold lines, but I didn't want to risk breakage (the real 37183 was missing the right-hand blade on both ends but no way was I going to copy that on the model!) The circular red fire extinguisher glasses are left-over etches from an A1 Models Class 22 conversion kit. 

One last thing - the marker lights. These were formed by holding semi-translucent red plastic rod close to a hot soldering iron until the tip of the rod melts into a pin-head shape - it's necessary to hold the rod perpendicular to the iron otherwise it forms at an angle, it can be adjusted but this must be quick or it becomes too big. The trick is to make 4 the same size and straight. They can then be inserted into drilled and countersunk holes and glued from the rear. The headlights were formed the same way but using thicker (1mm) rod and keeping it close to the iron for longer - this is the shape it goes! I did those on the Mark 1 this way in 1984 but I came up with the idea while detailing a then newly-released Hornby Class 29 four years earlier. I only do this if the marker lights need to be repositioned - most moulded ones are fine and a spot of dark red paint is considerably faster. 

I still don't need a Scottish Large Logo Class 37 but it will probably find itself doing an impersonation of 37175 on Cornish clayhoods.......on (very) long-distance running-in trials before heading 'up north', obviously......!

Apologies Darius for hijacking your otherwise dormant thread, but the first few words explain why - no doubt you could have done twelve of these in the time it's taken me to do this one!😃

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

One further comment on the real one - it became 37884, 20 years ago it went on a prolonged Spanish holiday as GIF No L34 working infrastructure trains (so not a relaxing holiday!) and since 2013 has belonged to Rail Operations Group - and during the past year or so has frequently been seen heading withdrawn EMUs bound for scrapping at Newport through.........Swindon! 38 years after its repaint in the Works there. You can't keep a good loco down!!!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Wired the BR Blue Type 3 for DCC and fitted a Hornby TTS sound chip and sugar cube speaker.

Transformed from this:-

IMG_9235.jpeg.80fe3ace61d843ce9cf2ec7597bdf7bc.jpeg

To this:-

IMG_9230.jpeg.cc895a5b3bfa7b883a7b45204c2ff619.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...

402 is a stunning rtr model ,but i think you should be very proud of 037 ,what i love about the old Hornby model is its heritage a model that was a new tooling when the real class 37 was being built,i think it is great to see old models being updated and improved to create something unique ,37183 is on my to do list i have a set of railtec transfers for 183 ,i almost rebuilt a Bachmann example into 183 but those headboard brackets put me off ,the Bachmann shell i had did not have them so i rebuilt it into 37245 a machine with skirts and  plated headcode panels but no headboard brackets!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...