How do you use pre-built platforms?

Feeling the urge to get back into this, after a good spell with a train set / model railway as a child (more years ago now than I'll admit to - let's just say that an H&M Duette controller was the height of technology at the time) and I'm planning a very simple layout. Space is, sadly, very limited, so a 5' by 3' is as big is it's going to get.

My electrical and computer skills are OK (degree in Electronics, job as a software developer) but I suspect my modelling skills will be very far behind, especially with regard to anything scratch built. I'm therefore considering buying some ready-made buildings (Hornby Skaledale, Bachmann Scenecraft etc) to give the layout some "life" and make it more than just track. And that brings me to my question.

For a station, I can buy platform sections and end ramps and stick them together. However, every building I've seen that would go on the platform is at least as big as the platform is deep, and usually far bigger. Am I missing something really obvious here? How are you supposed to combine the two? It seems to me that a platform own its own will look ridiculous, but a 64mm deep building on top of a 68mm deep platform will look just as silly.

What's the solution here (apart from scratch building?)

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back to the hobby, Broadleaves!

The easiest way is to download a platform kit from someone like Scalescenes .  They have good instructions: but you need a printer.   Best to print onto A4 label sheets with sticky backs.  Or just use Pritt stick. 

Agree with Edward about Scalescenes a huge boon to the modeller and very flexible.

https://scalescenes.com/

I did my platform in 0 gauge from the Scalescenes kit:

P1010027-001.JPG.47fefb10b792482bada5755e4852a38a.JPG

I like self adhesive labels and the edging was done with that.  Pritt sticks are also a product I use frequently. 

I'll give a plug to 3dk:

https://www.3dk.ca/oo-gauge-railscenes

John

• Like 2

Hello Broadleaves,

You may find the Metcalfe carboard plalform kits just the ticket:)

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po235-00-h0-stone-platform-k

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po216-00-h0-red-brick-platform-kit/

Even I, whose modelling skills are shall we say not good managed to make a curved platform on Danemouth.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

At many stations the land immediately behind the platform … including roads … was often at platform height. Therefore if your building is too wide to sit on the platform just incorporate land at the same height behind the platform

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Phil,

Yes, that's a very fair point and one of those things that seems obvious, but only after someone's pointed it out! So thank you for making me realise that I need to do a bit (a lot?) more thinking about how the whole layout will "flow" and how the buildings, landscape and scenery will interact. I think it just proves how long I've been away from it all...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Phil,

Yes, that's a very fair point and one of those things that seems obvious, but only after someone's pointed it out! So thank you for making me realise that I need to do a bit (a lot?) more thinking about how the whole layout will "flow" and how the buildings, landscape and scenery will interact. I think it just proves how long I've been away from it all...

Welcome! Perhaps that thought will take you to something akin to a model of a railway….