TTS sound for Hornby Stanier Coronation Scot

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

As I’m a complete luddite regarding the sounds between steam locomotives, I feel I need to ask this question.

I’ve recently purchased a Hornby R3555 Stanier Coronation Scot, 46256 “Sir William A. Stanier FRS” and I’m considering installing a Hornby TTS sound decoder in it.  I know Hornby have done a decoder for it in the past, but none seem to be available at the moment, but I have noticed that there’s a similar TTS sound decoder for a Princess Royal.

As the Coronation Scot’s were improvements over the Princess Royals, did they sound the same or were there noticeable sound differences between the two classes.

Hi jools1959, if it makes your decision any easier I run tts chips in a T9, Q6, Q1, 7f and a class 73. None of these are made by Hornby so I have gone by what sounds good/close enough for me. 

Where have you tried for the decoder ?

Best regards 

Chris

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Hi jools1959, if it makes your decision any easier I run tts chips in a T9, Q6, Q1, 7f and a class 73. None of these are made by Hornby so I have gone by what sounds good/close enough for me. 

Where have you tried for the decoder ?

Best regards 

Chris

Hi Chris, 

To be honest, I just looked on the Hornby website but I might check some other sites as well to see what they have.

Hi jools1959, Peters Spares have a good selection of TTS decoders, including TTS Princess Royal class for £41.16+pp. I don't know if the sounds will be like a Coronation.You could try YouTube & compare the TTS Princess Royal with the real thing.

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-r7147-tts-princess-royal-class-dcc-sound-decoder-oo-gauge.ir

Edited by mkrob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mkrob said:

Hi jools1959, Peters Spares have a good selection of TTS decoders, including TTS Princess Royal class for £41.16+pp. I don't know if the sounds will be like a Coronation.You could try YouTube & compare the TTS Princess Royal with the real thing.

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-r7147-tts-princess-royal-class-dcc-sound-decoder-oo-gauge.ir