Bleddfa Road

sparky

22 hours ago, Argos said:

Lovely  views. I've enjoyed following the developments via your blog so great to see the layout on RMweb also. 

Thanks Angus, I am pleased that you have enjoyed the journey so far, and have often wondered who has been following my blog.

19 hours ago, sidmouth said:

Just WoW . Couple of images I had to do a double take on , so convincing are they

Thank you Martin :-)

18 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Absolutely lovely!

Merry Xmas Geoff. 

Jay

Cheers Jay and all the best to you.

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

My emphasis.

Not sure we want to know about that…

Sorry wrong forum :o

Have a Merry Christmas everyone'

Geoff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/12/2021 at 11:38, Regularity said:

the search for verisimilitude

Respect! - just for using that superb word!

On 04/12/2021 at 11:38, Regularity said:

but rarely is scenery in 7mm scale indistinguishable from that produced for 4mm scale, where (a few exceptions aside, e.g. Pempoul, Martin Welch’s work) 7mm scenery is often a touch coarse and unconvincing.

I agree with that but I wonder why this is the case? (Geoff's work being another exception, of course).

With the larger scale, there is the opportunity to incorporate more detail.

Does this mean that 'more convincing' scenery in scales smaller than 7mm is, necessarily, more 'impressionistic' in nature, thus leading the brain to 'fill in the gaps?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There are lots of possible reasons.
One may be related to people using boulders to ballast their 4mm scale track: the pack says “00”, even if the same brand’s “N” gauge product is more suitable, I.e. the packaging determines the choice?

Another one is that the much vaunted benefit of moving up a scale, that a say 0.5mm accuracy, now represents slightly less than an inch rather than an inch and a half, becomes, “Well, half a mil was ok before, so I will use a whole millimetre.” 
A lot is made of the increased mass and “presence” of the railway vehicles, and maybe for many of the modellers in the self-styled “senior scale”, the scenery is just a colourful background for the trains?

Or maybe most modellers can’t be bothered to make the effort, yet fall over themselves to praise someone who does, or simply mistake “I won’t” for “I can’t”?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Standards of scenery are improving generally and through weight of numbers, there are going to be more decent 4mm layouts and we probably tend to forget all the poor ones. If there are only 1 or 2 7mm layouts at an exhibition they are going to be memorable, good or bad!  

But there must be something in the suggestion above that you can get away with slightly more in 00 just because detail is harder to see and the brain fills it in. An example: 7mm figures really show up if badly proportioned or shiny. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sparky said:

Morning, 

Here's a selection of the latest photos to bring things up to date ...................

1008645720_P1190225(2).JPG.063a5a11ebc8a556fddb46819dda33dc.JPG

Hereford (85C) Pannier 4600 approaches Bleddfa Road with a short train of empties for the limestone quarry that lies beyond the road bridge. This Dapol model has been renumbered with the excellent 'Railtec' 3D transfers and is currently awaiting a late crest and weathering.

P1190183.JPG.afcd32ddd5806fe14e0f9861a7a64b84.JPG

I think the days of etched plates are over for me now, for these plates are superb and ever so easy to apply.

P1190212.JPG.418b90a72e4b1dca74e760962d366588.JPG

Journeys end as 4660 pulls into Bledffa Road on a cold, bleak winters morning................

P1190269.JPG.a00e7698c8e1c0c0791cc1488c4dca4b.JPG

Work is also well underway on the former crossing keepers cottage, the stonework started life as a Slater's embossed sheet which was cut into random strips, sanded down and covered in plaster. The plaster was then sanded down to reveal the mortar courses, some of which are flush with the stones just like some buildings in these parts. I'll be letting some brickwork repairs into the walls, and covering other areas with a roughcast render, well that's the plan but whether my idea works remains to be seen?

P1190259.JPG.e897238d3f4de0f843d642bf96b86e99.JPG

Time for a spot of shunting, something that rarely interested me in my 4mm days when I used auto couplings. In those days 3 links weren't an option because I could hardly see the damn things, but working in the senior scale makes their use so much easier, and enjoyable. As for the hand in the sky, I don't give a hoot! :-)

P1190138.JPG.a77b8eb8a4148e6591b9e554c2b2c7e1.JPG

From time to time a Peckett from the quarry trundles down into the goods yard to top up her tanks, at other times she can be seen fussing around on the siding leading to the old lime kiln. Fresh from a recent overhaul she is still waiting for her cab window shields and works plates to be refitted. 

P1190139.JPG.9de42dc7c5a168b81202a17a588686b3.JPG

Geoff

Fantastic - so much atmosphere you’ve created here Geoff!

Jay

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sparky said:

I think the days of etched plates are over for me now, for these plates are superb and ever so easy to apply.

Yes, but is the colour correct? Some of them weren’t brass, and might be white/pale grey or yellow.

I think it gets a mention in the “Pannier Papers” books.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Yes, but is the colour correct? Some of them weren’t brass, and might be white/pale grey or yellow.

I think it gets a mention in the “Pannier Papers” books.

Most '8750' Class Panniers are believed to have been fitted with cast iron plates. I requested brass plates with a black background so if they are wrong then it is my fault. The 74XX Class had a mix of cast iron and brass plates, so it is a bit of a minefield. It isn't something that worries me, for once the plates have been weathered down they will look different again:-)

Geoff

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Fantastic - so much atmosphere you’ve created here Geoff!

Jay

Thank you Jay, I was worried that I might struggle to create a feeling of place and atmosphere in such a small area.

23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Truly inspiring work.

Thank you too Mr Wolf for your kind words:-)

Moving on and returning to the question of G(WR) number plates this might prove to be of interest....

http://www.trainweb.org/rcn_uk/gwcabs.html

Geoff

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been dipping into your blog and hadn't seen it was also on here. Wonderful evocative modelling. Regarding the difference with scales as the scale gets smaller it is like moving further back from the item. So say it is a modelled tree at say 100ft away you would not see the shaps of leaves and the type of tree would be less clear move to 50ft away and it would be much clearer what sort of tree it was move even closer and it would be even more clear. This is why the mind expects to see more detail in 7mm than in 4mm.

The other thing that can be confusing is the backscene. Because the backscene is mostly far away the height of hills etc. is dependant on how far it is meant to be from the modelled area and independant of scale. Again at 100ft away a building will look smaller against the far hills than one only 50ft away. The closer you get to a building the taller it seems agains tht hills.

When living in Shropshire we spent a lot of time in the Welsh borders you are capturing the feel very well.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Geoff once said to me...

I have not got the space for 7 mm scale....

Well perhaps just a 14xx......

And a pannier....

Oh I have a soft spot for a 'spotty' pannier.....

The AEC railcar arrived by accident.....

The 03 was a bargain.....

Go on, you know you are quite fond of the D95xx 'Teddy Bear'.

I suspect by the time I'm back off my short break, he'll have one.🤣

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

Oi get your facts right matey, I've got three Panniers! :-)

I admit to having considered a 'Teddy Bear' but my better half collects them and there are far too many in the house as it is😛

Geoff

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sparky said:

These lovely castings were supplied by CPL Products, whose service is second to none..........

I can recommend their characteristic window bars as well...

DSC_0038a.jpg.4860f5e0c5662cc793b485407f577fc4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...