Fitting a Bachmann 4-6-0 to Hornby chassis will it fit.

Hi Everyone

I have decided that I would like to try and fit a Bachmann loco body onto a Hornby chassis. I have the body from an old split chassis Bachmann that has died, and honestly I would rather not revive it, it never ran well,

So my question is simple, before I try and source a Chassis, will it fit? or is there a more preferable chassis I could use?

Thanks.

Are you going to give us a clue as to which loco so we might be able to help?

i know you want a 4-6-0 chassis but wheel size and spacing affect the choice 

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

It might be of some use to you to download the user's manual exploded diagram (they are available free online as PDFs from the manufacturers) which will show you how the respective bodyshells are fixed to the chassis.  We can't help you unless we know which exact locomotive it is.

Oh can I guess?   :D

BR 4MT. The revamped ex Mainline version, not the new version. 

it's the one that normally had "issues" with the chassis. I ended up with about four that were bought very cheap as spares or repairs. I made one good one up and put the rest in the pile for future projects. I already had an original Mainline version.

Good source of BR tenders as you either got a BR1B or a BR2.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/63315/bachmann_branchline_31_105_standard_class_4mt_4_6_0_75078_with_br1b_tender_double_chimney_in_br_lined_blac/stockdetail

For service sheets try Lendons as many are on there. Click the little crosses to open a menu.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/?button=button2&servicesheets=none

No idea about the Hornby chassis. 

Jason

Hi Smudge.

Is it the wobbly wheeled version of the 4mt. All I did with mine was remove the plastic inserts that distorted the wheels and flattened the wheels back in to true. Then made some balance wieghts by cutting them from the plastic inserts and glued the to the wheels and painted the wheels black black. So far no one has noticed when I get them out.

We used to fit Mainline Manor and 43XX bodies to both Bachmann chassis and (Triang) Hornby B12 and Hall class chassis re wheeled with Romford (or Hornby Dublo 4MT) wheels, the coupled wheelbase isn't quite right but not enough to stop them fitting.  The Triang chassis ones survive as useful train pulling devices, plenty of room for lead ballast and plenty of power from the X04, the Bachmann Chassis left no room for lead so were pretty feeble had their wheels fall off ages ago, one in under 30 minutes from new.  Mainline slip round and damage the valve gear, Bachmann come off and damage the valve gear.    One Mainline Manor was converted to Romford wheels insulated one side in plastic sleeves and fitted with  a Hornby "Saint" Tender drive tender, it still runs occasionally, and two Mainline 43XX were similarly converted keeping the original wheels which behave perfectly when not asked to transmit power.

The Jubilee/ Patriot / Scot body should also fit the Hornby B12/ Hall/A3/Ivatt chassis re wheeled,  but the 4MT / B1 have a long gap between centre and rear driving wheels so no heritage pre 2000 Hornby chassis will fit.  The Bachmann 4MT body may fit the Hornby chassis but surely its more sensible to just use the Hornby loco.   Or de motor the chassis and push it with a Hornby Tender drive.