Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New Tool Class 20 Problem.

meatloaf

Ive picked up a new tool 20 in blue with sound. The decoder is a zimo sound chip factory fitted. My controller is a prodigy DCC01

The problem is after a short time of use the loco stops moving. It will make all the sounds as if its moving - ie accelleration sounds and notch up sounds and braking sounds if it was stopping. All this while the loco is stood stationary. Ive checked theres no F buttons on like drive lock or anything like that. Ive also done a CV8 - 8 and its not helped at all. Sounds work, lights work but the loco just wont move. I also tried it on DC with a normal controller and same again all the lights come on engine starts brakes release and cab light goes out ten it revs up and accellerates but the loco stays put.

After unplugging the controller and leaving it for a bit i went back to it fired it up and it moved this time. Did a few dozen up and down the layout ( 9ft end to end ) no issues then suddenly bang the problems back.

Can anyone else suggest anything before i return it to my model shop? All my other locos are fine. The shop only has a small length of track to test and im concerned that if he only runs it up and down he will think its fine. He may need to be running it up and down for a while. Ive done a video that shows the problem.

Does it sound like a duff decoder?

• RMweb Premium

If you’ve done a reset with the same result then I just wonder if it’s a connection fault somewhere. Either between the pcb and the motor, or the decoder seating into the pcb. Could also be a faulty motor I suppose. Hard to tell really.

Do you have more than one handset for the Prodigy DCC01 connected to the base unit?

If so, you will need to check that one handset is the master and the other changed to become the slave. Details of how to do this are in the Gaugemaster booklet. I had a similar problem years ago on a then newish DCC01 system. Another thing to check is that the loco address only appears on one handset as having the same number in use can confuse the system as well I have found. Worth checking in case.

HTH Paul 

Only got the one handset.

Tried a few more things today. 

Changing CV8 to 8 made no difference as before. I went on bachmanns website to see if i could find the list of what the CVS were set to by default. Couldnt find any but did find on zimos site that writing 0 to CV8 does a total reset.

Doing this meant that the refiments Bachmann program to the decoder are lost - ie lighting not working correctly - no inertia settings. Inertia settings ere soon readded using CV3 and 4 but i couldnt sort the lights. 

Anyhow i after running for an hour i couldnt replicate the issue and the loco actually ran great so im confident there isnt an issue with the loco itself.

I then reset CV8 to 8 again to resotre the factory settings and soon the problem was back. So im convinced its a problem with the settings on the decoder.

I rang Bachmann to ask there advice and theyve just said if resetting CV8 to 8 hasnt made any difference then i should return it to the retailler for exchange. I did ask if anyone else had reported the same issue and they said yes a couple.

• Like 1

Had a similar problem with a Class 90. You can get dry solder joints on the chip causing intermittent working like you describe. In any case you have manufacturer's warranty on the loco and the chips themselves have 1 or 2 years from Zimo but you need proof of purchase. I don't think that will be an issue here as the model is less than a year old.