GWR Siphon C lettering

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping that someone may have more info on the branding on the Siphon Cs used for Harris bacon & sausages from Calne.  Having looked in Slinn & Clarke there is a good listing of van numbers and the associated branding, a number of which were simply branded “Return to Calne”.  However I have yet to find a photo of a Siphon C in this condition.  The best I have found is a half van on p34  in The Calne Branch by C G Maggs from which you can make out the roof board lettered
 “Harris Bacon and Wiltshire Sausages 
 From Calne” rather than the second line saying Calne and destination.  However the photo is missing the right hand side where the large enamel plate is fitted on the destination wagons.

I am trying to determine if the “Return to Calne” wording was also carried on the same style of plate as the ‘destination’ vans or as I think is more likely it was in the usual italic script in yellow lettered on the side.  So far I haven’t managed to work out where this ‘return to’ script sits on a Siphon C as it doesnt seem visible in any of the published photos in Slinn, Russell or The Calne Branch.

So I am hoping someone might know more.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I am hoping that someone may have more info on the branding on the Siphon Cs used for Harris bacon & sausages from Calne.  Having looked in Slinn & Clarke there is a good listing of van numbers and the associated branding, a number of which were simply branded “Return to Calne”.  However I have yet to find a photo of a Siphon C in this condition.  The best I have found is a half van on p34  in The Calne Branch by C G Maggs from which you can make out the roof board lettered
 “Harris Bacon and Wiltshire Sausages 
 From Calne” rather than the second line saying Calne and destination.  However the photo is missing the right hand side where the large enamel plate is fitted on the destination wagons.

I am trying to determine if the “Return to Calne” wording was also carried on the same style of plate as the ‘destination’ vans or as I think is more likely it was in the usual italic script in yellow lettered on the side.  So far I haven’t managed to work out where this ‘return to’ script sits on a Siphon C as it doesnt seem visible in any of the published photos in Slinn, Russell or The Calne Branch.

So I am hoping someone might know more.

Probably not much help, but attached is an image of my BR-era transfer sheet for SIPHONs; this was fully researched from the usual authoritive published sources.

Key-BL159.JPG.fb390bd7d297001277989b520265c298.JPG

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 1