Kettering LHS in diesel days

18B

Hi, 

some pics cropped up on fb recently of diesel locos, class’s 27, 45, and 47 stabled at Kettering in October 1968. 

timetables of the period included a headcode for light locos of XX95 to Kettering LHS, thus semi confirming there was at least something there in diesel days. would anyone happen to know the years it was in operation and whether it had any staff? And where it’s locos went please. TIA, 

Edited by 18B

• RMweb Gold

From my understanding back in the day, LHS was Locomotive Holding Sidings, a kind of step down from a stabling point, there were quite a few, Orgreaves LHS on the opposite side of the line to Rotherwood springs to mind.

They were (usually) a siding near to a facility which needed regular motive power and shuffling it about from depots was considered uneconomical. They seemed to fade away by 1970 or so.

Mike.

There were holding sidings at Kettering. There was a crossover at the south end of the station from the Up main to the Down slow and a couple of sidings ran off those to the end of platform 3/4 (the island platform!) IIRC. I can vaguely remember seeing a Brush 4 and a BRCW type 2 parked there when we went for a ride down to Bedford one Saturday in the late 60s (I was only about 8 at the time!). I'm not sure of their purpose- Kettering shed was responsible for locos for BSC Corby workings among others, but in diesel days, I believe Corby train engines stabled in Corby somewhere (though I could be wrong) Over to you Andy (Rangers).............

Oh and there's a cab ride video floating about from St Pancras to Market Harborough, where you can see stuff stabled at Kettering in the place I indicated.

HTH

Disgusting of Market Harborough