The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

DVD + DL

faulcon1

Does anyone have experience of recording onto DVD + DL. There were two types -DL and +DL. Minus was a double sided disc where you would turn the disc over just like an old LP. But +DL is dual layered but what I was wondering was when you've finished recording onto one layer can you close the session or finalise that part of the dual layered disc without effecting the second layer, or does one need to fill both layers completely before finalising or closing the session of the complete disc. 

• RMweb Premium

Have you got that right?

There is DVD +R & DVD -R both available in DL (Dual Layer) versions.

IIRC Double sided discs are independent of the recording process used

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I've just been looking at the instructions for my Panasonic recorder (which will record or play virtually any silver disc ever made!)

It does not say that you can record on the two layers seperately, it does however say that certain recording formats need to be finalised to be playable.

With +R discs both single and dual layer need to be finalised for both Video & AVCHD formats.

But with -R discs some recording formats don't need to be finalised to play

Blu Ray discs & DVD -RAM dont need finalising at all.

Edited by melmerby

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and yes RAM is great but only Panasonic was mainly doing the format and hardly anyone else was, and those who did didn't do it for long. Whereas all other formats can be played in a large variety of other manufacturers machines. My DVD recorder is an older one as modern DVD recorders don't record to DVD but to an internal hard drive only. If this is to stop copyright violations then they're too late as I tried to get a British sitcom from a British company only to be told we don't sell to Australia. So I downloaded all the episodes from YT instead and burnt it to DVD before the BBC had the channel deleted for copyright violation. Take the Fred Dibnah series of programs which never came to Australia and I downloaded those from YT because eventually the BBC will have those channels wiped out.

My mum had a Blu Ray player even though she had no Blu Ray discs but standard DVD's can be played on Blu Ray players whereas Blu Ray discs can't be played on standard DVD players. Most DVD players can be bought here for twenty five pounds and many tech people say use a memory stick rather than burning to DVD. But I have external hard drives which can play on my TV but the file size can only be 4GB or about 30 mins. So movies are out like the Titfield Thunderbolt for that's longer than 30 minutes. My hard drives are 1 to 2 TB and yes I can watch that movie in full on a desk top computer no problems but not a LCD TV via it's USB port which is why a DVD player is needed.

The reason I'm moving to DL rather than RAM is because eventually my DVD player will kick the bucket and no DVD player now plays RAM discs either in or out of the RAM cartridge.  

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the recording modes vary considerably from country to country. I have a Panasonic BWT-740 (UK spec.)*

In the UK you can record any TV program to the HDD from the built in HD tuner. You can then copy that to DVD/BD but with some constraints.

Copy protection then allows you to only copy once to disc in hi definition on the commercial channels. However the BBC's license funded channels are not affected.

The BBC, off course, also has the extensive online iPlayer archive (which you can access from modern TVs as well as PCs etc.) and frequently re-broadcasts such things as Fred Dibnah on it's commercial channels (They own the UKTV platform)

The DVD RAM discs I have are just like other discs and don't have a case.

* according to Panasonic, the latest version, DMR BTW 760 is available in Australia and still accepts DVD RAM

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, MJI said:

Hyphen is more standard when burnt but + can be easier for some to read.

Never used +DL but -DL work fine from PC to my Pioneer DVD player.

When I bought the recorder I bought a pack of BD & a pack of RAM, haven't used either :(