British Finescale Improved FineTrax N Gauge Point Kits

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Improved N Gauge point kits available soon from British Finescale, now without the need to thread chairs!

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/british-finescale-announce-improved-n-gauge-point-kits

Available January. 

I didn't think the original kits could be improved on but by removing the need to thread chairs it should makes construction even easier. 

Tom. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having now assembled one of these kits I have to take my hat off to Wayne at British Finescale. 

The improvements in the product, notably the one piece sleeper base with moulded chairs, and the pre milled, pre-soldered switch blades and frog rails are a huge time saver and make construction even easier than the old style kits. It took me only 20 minutes from start to finish to have the kit assembled and I really can't recommend them highly enough if you want finer N Gauge track. 

1095889257_pointd.jpg.190e76bb600a0f9a00ebf455c2439420.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just read the review, it sounds like Wayne has really made these attractive to those of us who don't like the idea of vigorous filing/milling.

The new sleeper base is a massive improvement too.

Tis a pity I am not laying any track at present, this looks like a proper alternative to Peco.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2022 at 18:23, Mr chapman said:

Do these newer kits still require a jig? Looking at ordering a couple of kits. 

Nope, all the components are pre milled, so the only thing the modeller needs to do is cut the rail to the correct lengths, bend in the ends of the check rails, slide the rail in to place and solder power droppers in place. Simple as! 

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Potentially daft question in-coming:

I'm making my first venture into using the Finetrax range for a new, small N Gauge terminus station project. Basically, I've bought a few locos over the last couple of years that don't fit in with my current N gauge layout or my new 2FS layout (impulse purchase, it was a good idea at the time, you know the score...), so I've turned it into an excuse to make a layout for these, and I'd like to try the Finetrax anyway because it looks great. I've used the 2FS stuff and I've really enjoyed working with it, it was the reason I decided to built a 2FS layout in the first place.

Having made my plan, I will need a 3-way point, and having printed off the template it shows two points; one with a RH lead, and one with a LH lead. However, the website only shows the LH lead base as available, but I need a RH lead one (of course...). Before I email Wayne to ask, am I correct in thinking that although it's on the template, the RH lead point isn't actually available, or am I being an idiot?

Thanks,
Benn.

• RMweb Gold

When you get to the checkout page there is a box for order comments, you could specify in there which lead you require.

Failing that I'm sure Wayne wouldn't mind you dropping him a message to check before you order, he's always been exceptionally helpful when I've placed orders. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1