The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

9 hours ago, mozzer models said:

Andrew Benson

@andrewbensonf1

·

41m

In summary, it is clear Horner did speak to Schmidt (extensively, I hear) and did say what he is quoted as saying. But it seems Red Bull now want it to go away, hence the remark about "no official comment" (whatever that means). It won't go away, though. Obviously

What really happened;

While Horner was whinging, Adrian Newey was sketching away having seen the Merc car. On his return to the motor home, Newey says "Hey Christian, I have seen the Merc car and think it is spot on, what's more I think we can adapt ours to be like theirs but be quicker". Horners reply; "Oh I have just complained about it... Hey PR person, please deny I ever said anything!  Adrian get the angle grinder to the side pods..."

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

What really happened;

While Horner was whinging, Adrian Newey was sketching away having seen the Merc car. On his return to the motor home, Newey says "Hey Christian, I have seen the Merc car and think it is spot on, what's more I think we can adapt ours to be like theirs but be quicker". Horners reply; "Oh I have just complained about it... Hey PR person, please deny I ever said anything!  Adrian get the angle grinder to the side pods..."

Brilliant. :laugh:   :good:

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

:angry::angry::angry::banghead:

Red Bull unhappy with Mercedes upgrade in Bahrain.

IF FU******G Toto turned up with an Ice Cream Van they wouldn't be happy. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60697803

Innovation is a part of F1 & if any team sees something different, they will suspect it may be illegal & check it out for themselves. They cannot let a competitor get an advantage like that.

In addition, if they are going to submit a protest, they will give their rivals the minimum opportunity to respond.

So if Red Bull do raise a complaint, expect it at the first GP rather than during testing.

Mercedes have won the last 8 constructors titles because they have been more innovative. It is only natural that their work will raise suspicions.

I doubt there is anything wrong with their (lack of) sidepods. The sidepods are not there just to meet regulations like the ride height plank used to be, they are there to house cooling equipment. If these can be moved, then why keep the empty structures?

Red Bull & Ferrari have also mentioned Mercedes new mirrors. I've not seen them up close for myself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Innovation is a part of F1 & if any team sees something different, they will suspect it may be illegal & check it out for themselves. They cannot let a competitor get an advantage like that.

In addition, if they are going to submit a protest, they will give their rivals the minimum opportunity to respond.

So if Red Bull do raise a complaint, expect it at the first GP rather than during testing.

Mercedes have won the last 8 constructors titles because they have been more innovative. It is only natural that their work will raise suspicions.

I doubt there is anything wrong with their (lack of) sidepods. The sidepods are not there just to meet regulations like the ride height plank used to be, they are there to house cooling equipment. If these can be moved, then why keep the empty structures?

Red Bull & Ferrari have also mentioned Mercedes new mirrors. I've not seen them up close for myself.

There on wings that will help downforce?

image.png.2a1009aff0d86817e0a09328612015b6.png

• Informative/Useful 2

Posted at 8:448:44

Red flag

The back end of Nicholas Latifi's Williams is on fire.

Luckily he gets out of the car sharpish before he joins a marshal with fire extinguishers to put out the flames.

Posted at 8:488:48

'Latifi looks dejected'

Andrew Benson

BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

A blow to Williams. Nicholas Latifi spins off and it’s immediately clear there is a problem with the rear brakes. The wheels are smoking long before he goes off and there is fire inside the runs as he loses control at Turn 12.

Fire pours out of the wheels in the run-off area. Latifi runs to get a fire marshal, but as he points the extinguisher at the rear of the car, there is a small explosion and the back drops to the ground as something clearly breaks in the suspension/gearbox area.

Latifi looks dejected, hands on hips and then arms folded as he surveys the damage. Will the team get out again today?

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

LOL now even Andrew Benson is shaming Winger Spice

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner was in the news conference over lunch time, and was asked for his views on the upgraded Mercedes that has appeared in Bahrain. A bit of background first, though.

On Thursday, Horner was quoted by Germany’s Auto Motor Und Sport saying the design of the side-pods and crash structures used as wings on the Mercedes was “a step too far… for us, these wings are illegal”.

Red Bull first said the quotes were “incorrect” and then that they were not “official”.

In the news conference, Horner described the Mercedes as “interesting”, “innovative” and “extreme”, adding: “Whether we think it’s legal or not, yes, it looks like it ticks all the boxes.”

He was asked what had made him change his mind. “Comments have been quoted that weren’t made,” he replied. “It is an innovative solution. The Mercedes car looks like it complies with the regulations.”

This writer spoke to the story’s author, Michael Schmidt, on Thursday. Schmidt is one of the most experienced and respected journalists in F1, a veteran of more than 30 years’ experience. Very few people in the paddock - if any - would believe he made the quotes up. He insisted that the story was accurate.

• Like 5

Clearly there is some quick backpeddeling at Red Bull. I suspect they are going to try the same concept.

When I think about it, Merc have covered their bases here. In effect, they have two cars. One is this podless version and the other is a more traditional car.

If they got told the podless car is illegal they have a back up.

• Agree 4

Well we know of at least one that believes he made it up, whinger himself!!

Looking at the photos of it it will be interesting to see what happens when Max tries his usual "barge the other driver off" and ends up going over the lower section just in front of the rea wheels, though...

Edited by Hobby
spelling
  • Funny 3

Maybe that's part of the reason behind the design? Depends on how strong that floor area is.

My instant thought was have visions of Max's front wheel heading upwards into the rear tyre of thr Merc and flipping the Red Bull in the air! Not sure if that would actually happen mind.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Looking at the photos of it it will be interesting to see what happens when Max tries his usual "barge the other driver off" and ends up going over the lower section just in front of the rea wheels, though...

Maybe that's the idea ....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Clearly there is some quick backpeddeling at Red Bull. I suspect they are going to try the same concept.

When I think about it, Merc have covered their bases here. In effect, they have two cars. One is this podless version and the other is a more traditional car.

If they got told the podless car is illegal they have a back up.

Did he/didn't he say it? Who cares?

The media are increasingly keen to put pressure on certain people in the sport to get a cheap quote, even if they have to be selective with words to twist the meaning of what was actually said.

I am sure we have all also said things in the heat of a moment that we later feel was wrong.

• Like 2

Posted at 16:0716:07

Today's times

Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) 1:33.532, 60 laps

Max Verstappen (Red Bull) +0.479, 86 laps

Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) +0.532, 70 laps

Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.609, 47 laps

Esteban Ocon (Alpine) +0.744, 111 laps

Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.834, 54 laps

Lando Norris (McLaren) +1.077, 60 laps

Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin) +2.488, 46 laps

Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +2.973, 39 laps

Yuki Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri) +3.27, 120 laps

Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +3.455, 25 laps

Mick Schumacher (Haas) +4.314, 23 laps

George Russell (Mercedes) +5.053, 67 laps

Nicholas Latifi (Williams) +6.313, 12 laps

Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo) +6.452, 48 laps

That's it for all the drivers, apart from Haas' Kevin Magnussen who will be testing until 17:00 GMT.

• Like 1

'The Mercedes a handful for Hamilton'

Chris Medland

F1 journalist in Bahrain

When Lewis Hamilton went out on softer compounds late in the afternoon in Barcelona, he duly lowered the fastest time of the day in what looked like a settled car. The same can't be said here, as Hamilton can only go fourth fastest despite using the softest tyre available, compared to the three ahead of him - Carlos Sainz, Max Verstappen and Lance Stroll - on a slightly harder compound.

Headline lap times are notoriously difficult to deduce anything from, but how a car looks on track is a much better gauge, and it's fair to say the Ferrari has looked extremely planted and consistent.

The Mercedes appeared to be much more of a handful for Hamilton, however, with porpoising still a clear issue around the lap. The fact it was sparking so much shows they are trying to run the car lower too, which can exacerbate the problem. There's work to be done for the defending constructors' champions.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

WOW, GET THIS. :o

NEW

Posted at 17:2817:28

Update - Magnussen ends day fastest

Haas were afforded an extra hour to carry on testing after freight delays saw them miss Thursday's morning session.

And they certainly used the time well as Kevin Magnussen, in his first day in a Formula 1 car for more than a year, sprung from ninth to first with an effort of 1:33.207.

That meant he ended the day on top of the times.

image.png.cf825aee0ab88533caff146d751ad96a.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3