The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

He's probably trying to draw a distinction between him and Hamilton/Mercedes who, it is said, needed to see the report as part of their continuing to take part. It's part of the narrative that said that it was unfair to fire Masi for mistakes. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Wittich simplifies Bahrain track limits rules in first event as F1 race director.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/03/17/wittich-simplifies-bahrain-track-limits-rules-in-first-event-as-f1-race-director/

I hope it gets enforced properly then all drivers will know they cannot get away with it.

One question though: what is the penalty for going wide?

• Like 2

What's your thoughts?:o

To me, having the first Race of an F1 Year under Floodlights just never seems right. It feels to me like its not a True Grand Prix, but a Show to publicise an event.

Now I know I'm probably in the minority, of modern F1 Fans, and being an OLD FART probably doesn't help, :laugh:but I feel that the Season should start at least with a proper daylight Race. 

I'll be interested to hear you Guys thoughts.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

What's your thoughts?:o

To me, having the first Race of an F1 Year under Floodlights just never seems right. It feels to me like its not a True Grand Prix, but a Show to publicise an event.

Now I know I'm probably in the minority, of modern F1 Fans, and being an OLD FART probably doesn't help, :laugh:but I feel that the Season should start at least with a proper daylight Race. 

I'll be interested to hear you Guys thoughts.

I always thought that having the Australian GP as first of the season (rather than the last as it was for a time) was appropriate and worked well.  Although I acknowledge that from a TV scheduling point of view it was a bit inconvenient for live coverage of the race in most of the northern hemisphere. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

TBH, although I record the highlights, I very rarely bother watching the floodlit Grands Prix unless they get reported as having been particularly good races.

They just don't interest me like the ones run in daylight do.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Ok, time to put last season behind us (as if!), all set to go racing?

Prediction time: it’s going to take a while for the new regulations to bed down, with some teams taking an advantage while others are disadvantaged.  I think there could be six or more drivers heading for the top step of the podium as the season progresses (hoping Lando and George are among them).  Controversy from the word go, even a possible row between Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, as Horner looks to pick fights with other teams all around the paddock.

I want and hope Lewis can right the wrongs of last season and bag that eighth championship, but as we start the season I think the table is too far tilted towards Max.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, EddieB said:

Ok, time to put last season behind us (as if!), all set to go racing?

Prediction time: it’s going to take a while for the new regulations to bed down, with some teams taking an advantage while others are disadvantaged.  I think there could be six or more drivers heading for the top step of the podium as the season progresses (hoping Lando and George are among them).  Controversy from the word go, even a possible row between Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, as Horner looks to pick fights with other teams all around the paddock.

I want and hope Lewis can right the wrongs of last season and bag that eighth championship, but as we start the season I think the table is too far tilted towards Max.

Spot on, and if Alpha Tauri start to outdo, or take valuable points away from RB or Perez they will be the but of Winger Spice. Lewis needs to be in the mix tomorrow to get some points and not let Max get to big a lead like he did last year, but for me, the dark horses will be the Boys in Red. If Ferrari get the strategy right they should be in the mix again.

I also hope Ocon can put a good gap between himself and AlFonso. Haas do appear to be as quick if not quicker than Aston Martin and Alpine so that could be interesting, but one surprise for me yesterday was Bottas in the Alfa, that might also upset Horner and Marko if he beats Perez.

Not long to wait now, armchair and remote booked for 23 weekends. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I only got back into F1 recently but already there are drivers I like , and some less so.

Do you find you follow a particular driver rather than a team ?

For me, that is often the case Rob, when Rosberg was at Merc, he was enemy No 1, :laugh:. I find Alonso offensive at times, mainly due to the internal stunts he pulled when alongside Lewis at Mclaren, and I went off Vettel many years ago as a driver, but he does have a good British sense of humour.

As  for the Teams, I want to see McLaren do well, and also Williams for obvious reasons, and I'm also really pleased that Williams didn't loose its name or identity under new the ownership.

I naturally back the Brits, and that includes Albon who I find calm and talented, plus well spoken. 

So for me, its Merc McLaren and Williams, Lewis, George, Lando and Alex. Lets have 4 Brits in the top 4, (Am I biased? YES), although only 3 is possible at the moment I think. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Spot on, and if Alpha Tauri start to outdo, or take valuable points away from RB or Perez they will be the but of Winger Spice. Lewis needs to be in the mix tomorrow to get some points and not let Max get to big a lead like he did last year, but for me, the dark horses will be the Boys in Red. If Ferrari get the strategy right they should be in the mix again.

I also hope Ocon can put a good gap between himself and AlFonso. Haas do appear to be as quick if not quicker than Aston Martin and Alpine so that could be interesting, but one surprise for me yesterday was Bottas in the Alfa, that might also upset Horner and Marko if he beats Perez.

Not long to wait now, armchair and remote booked for 23 weekends. 

I've not seen the times but I believe things will change a little once they really go for it in qualifying.

I'm glad to hear that Bottas is looking fast. He was fast at Williams, which is something many forget when they were claiming that he was a poor driver just in the Merc to make Hamilton look good.

The Merc doesn't look sorted yet. I am sure it will be in a few races' time though. I can't see how the slimmer side pods won't be an advantage; after all cooling creates drag & the side pods were like a couple of big air brakes attached to the car. How could it not be an advantage to get rid of them?

Ferrari look strong though & they should be. They have been focussing on this car for 3 years now. Leclerc impressed in his first season with Ferrari & I always felt Sainz was underrated at Toro Rosso; he was more consistent than Verstappen but without the occasional outstanding drives. Until 2021, Verstappen has lacked consistency, either having an amazing weekend or disappearing completely with nothing in between.

We may be in for a 3 way (or more) battle for the titles. I am hopeful that will be the case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I've not seen the times but I believe things will change a little once they really go for it in qualifying.

I'm glad to hear that Bottas is looking fast. He was fast at Williams, which is something many forget when they were claiming that he was a poor driver just in the Merc to make Hamilton look good.

The Merc doesn't look sorted yet. I am sure it will be in a few races' time though. I can't see how the slimmer side pods won't be an advantage; after all cooling creates drag & the side pods were like a couple of big air brakes attached to the car. How could it not be an advantage to get rid of them?

Ferrari look strong though & they should be. They have been focussing on this car for 3 years now. Leclerc impressed in his first season with Ferrari & I always felt Sainz was underrated at Toro Rosso; he was more consistent than Verstappen but without the occasional outstanding drives. Until 2021, Verstappen has lacked consistency, either having an amazing weekend or disappearing completely with nothing in between.

We may be in for a 3 way (or more) battle for the titles. I am hopeful that will be the case.

I can see Lewis, George, Max, Checho, Charles and Carlos all getting wins, and maybe even Lando, (I hope) and Danny Ric as well if McLaren can sort out the braking issues. I hope to see Bottas, Ocon and Magnasen well up in the pecking order as well.

Are we in for another thrilling season?

I hope so..

• Like 3

I know we haven't had the first Qualifying yet but, here is my early bird prediction for Sundays Race.

1st, Leclerc,

2nd, Vestappen,

3rd, Sainze,

then Russell, and Hamilton.

Anyone else want to do an early prediction?:D

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I only got back into F1 recently but already there are drivers I like , and some less so.

Do you find you follow a particular driver rather than a team ?

Like Andrew I do admit a slight bias towards the British drivers (not so much towards the teams). In terms of winning championships then it has been supporting Lewis in recent years, if nothing else than to see him beat every record set by Michael Schumacher (of dubious race tactics).

While I cannot but admire the boy’s talent, I dislike Verstappen (junior and senior) for their sense of entitlement, as egged on by their team owner and team principal, expressed in a bullying racing style and treatment of other drivers...

Which brings me to wanting just rewards for the talent of Gasly, Albon and Ocon - three good drivers and nice guys dealt badly by their teams.  Brits aside, the paddock is awash with young talent, nice guys whom I enjoy seeing do well - LeClerc, Sainz, even Schumachersprog.

I’m almost coming around to liking Vettel, 50/50 with Alonso and Bottas (but for different reasons).  Perez has become a team player and has also come through a raw deal.

All of which can be summed up by saying I enjoy watching good, fair, clean racing and exceptional drivers putting in exceptional performances - and may the best man win (but especially if he’s British or one I’ve singled out)!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I know we haven't had the first Qualifying yet but, here is my early bird prediction for Sundays Race.

1st, Leclerc,

2nd, Vestappen,

3rd, Sainze,

then Russell, and Hamilton.

Anyone else want to do an early prediction?:D

I agree they could be the top three, but in a different order: Max, Charles, Carlos.  (But happy to be proved wrong!)

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 2