Home made rivetter

Hi All. I have a couple of locos where the rivets on the valve gear have broken or come away. I want to repair them and was thinking a small home made rivetter might work. Has anyone made one for this purpose or got any suggestions for a suitable repair? 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, smokebox said:

I've read of people using small pieces of copper wire from mains house wiring for rivets.

Would you anneal the wire OR avoid annealing it?

Kev.

Are we talking Hornby or Bachmann locos? I'd assume someone like Peter's spares might actually stock the manufacturers rivets, otherwise markits or Eileen's do hollow ended valve gear rivets - just use a pin hammer and a punch to gently expand the rear of it to fix your valve gear back together.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It does have to be the exact "right" hammer - designed for the job.

Any "domestic" hammer WILL wreak havoc with anything delicate!

(There are lots and lots of different types of hammer.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

The rivets are probably pressed together off the model rather than hammered. A vice or flat pliers should do the trick. Failing that, Perers Spares sell complete motion gear sets.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Agree 1

Use a Pin hammer with a hard surface underneath the rivet, use light taps and keep testing until the rivet is holding the pieces together , not too tight or it will not move afterwards, apply a small drop of oil before running.

Do not use a Centre Punch ,as you cannot control it as it pushes the rivet edge over.

If the holes where the rivet has come out are enlarged or broken, then it scrap.

Edited by micklner

Hi all,

I had been trying to fix one side of the walschartz part of the valve gear for a Triang 2-6-2 3mt for quite a while and have to give up. Fortunately stewartingram of this parish here donated a spare set for me to use. The problem I came across was the pin that held the reversing lever was stepped. As the holes for the 2 pieces where different sizes. But I would say do not try and fix valve gear insitu. You are more likely to cause further accidental damage.

3mt valvegear.jpg

Edited by cypherman