Hornby Hush Hush Improvements

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any improvements they have planned for their Hush-Hush's? I intend to look into lamps and possibly sound if I can be convinced by a sound file that sounds different enough to the A4 to convince me it's worth it (yes I know there are none to record new sound from but would be surprised if it couldn't be remixed from other loco sound files).

Something I'm considering also is the flanged wheels or at least a way to make to cab wheels touch the rails to occasionally turn....

• 6 months later...
On 19/01/2022 at 14:55, Scott Read said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any improvements they have planned for their Hush-Hush's? I intend to look into lamps and possibly sound if I can be convinced by a sound file that sounds different enough to the A4 to convince me it's worth it (yes I know there are none to record new sound from but would be surprised if it couldn't be remixed from other loco sound files).

Something I'm considering also is the flanged wheels or at least a way to make to cab wheels touch the rails to occasionally turn....

I always assumed that the 4 flangeless wheels didn't touch the rails so that they wouldn't cause a short when swinging out traversing points and slips. At last, I have received an unbroken W1 (the new double blast pipe version) and I lowered the 4 wheels - filing the pips on the retainer- so that they touch the rails and therefore, revolve. And they don't short on points! Later today. I will be fitting Locoman's sound, so hope that all runs equally well on DCC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Edna Clouds said:

I lowered the 4 wheels - filing the pips on the retainer- so that they touch the rails and therefore, revolve.

Mine wouldn't revolve as the axles are not free running in the slots, so would need a bit of fettling