Class 87 , design flaw????

125_driver

I am a little disappointed with the new Hornby class 87 in that due to the position and design of the couplings it is impossible to propel coaching stock without almost instant derailment. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? Also, presumably if Hornby are to release a HST set with couplings mounted on the body and not the bogie then the new HSTs will have this problem too when they are released. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2022 at 15:30, 125_driver said:

I am a little disappointed with the new Hornby class 87 in that due to the position and design of the couplings it is impossible to propel coaching stock without almost instant derailment. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? Also, presumably if Hornby are to release a HST set with couplings mounted on the body and not the bogie then the new HSTs will have this problem too when they are released. 

I’ve got a few of the Horny 87’s and have found them to be ok when propelling full length trains … however I don’t propel them up gradients, also I only propel around curves 3rd radius or greater.

As Darius has said above, fixed bar type coupling can also improve reliability. I use the Hunt elite magnetic couplings within fixed rakes, however I use small tension locks at the end of each rake to facilitate automatic uncoupling.

Another thing to watch out for is coupling ‘droop’ that can lead to overriding. So it’s best to check the interface between couplings is at the same height, also the surface of each are smooth as any burr could create addition friction and lead to increased risk of derailment.

A couple of pics … the first is an older Lima coach with old large D style coupling. The Hornby 87 coupling is a decent height match and this rake is very reliable propelling.
7348C81C-78E0-4B56-B33F-8BA569655894.jpeg.17fd33938281b3ce33df3a95d03267fc.jpeg

This rake is a Hornby Virgin Mark 3 (about 15yrs old) and for some reason the coupling raises up! Meanwhile this particular 87 has a droopy coupling … hence the increase risk of the couplings overriding. So I need to spend a bit of time correcting both of these couplings … 

13B44916-2B5E-472A-9F30-DA0D7655F4C9.jpeg.f21a3e5a8e26ed6b364091b953a1c00b.jpeg

Hope this helps … good luck with your 87

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

And fitting some buffers to those Mk3s ;)

Andi

Instead of asking Sue Gray to investigate … I’m going to admit my guilt!!

The Hornby Mk3’s do have buffers, but the old Lima Mk3’s I think had the buffers knocked off during my youth … never got round to correcting! I have been tempted to retire the rake but I do like it’s realisability .

ps Cripes … closeup photo’s do reveal quite a few flaws! :blush: Need to re-do the renumbering of 34 as the backing papers have yellowed … 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Patriot87003 said:

but the old Lima Mk3’s I think had the buffers knocked off during my youth

Did they ever have them in the first place? The Lima Mk3 is HST based stock that shouldn't have buffers...

The '7s look good though! 

Andi

7 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

Instead of asking Sue Gray to investigate … I’m going to admit my guilt!!

The Hornby Mk3’s do have buffers, but the old Lima Mk3’s I think had the buffers knocked off during my youth … never got round to correcting! I have been tempted to retire the rake but I do like it’s realisability .

ps Cripes … closeup photo’s do reveal quite a few flaws! :blush: Need to re-do the renumbering of 34 as the backing papers have yellowed … 

I have a couple of Jouef Mk 3 coaches I repainted into Executive livery, and they look similar to your repaint in close-up. I wouldn't worry too much, as the usual rule is if it looks good at normal viewing distance, there is no need to change anything.

As for the yellowing transfers, it is annoying, and would mostly be unnoticeable if it wasn't for the fact that the background they are on is a stark white. The best solution is to find some transfers which don't have any carrier film, such as the HMRS pressfix or methfix types, or possibly the ones from the likes of ModelMaster which have a removable carrier.

5 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Oddly, the first and second didn't, but the catering car  (buffet/ kitchen/ restaurant?) did and also, IIRC, the TGS had them.

All the Lima Mk3 coach releases (incorrectly) had buffers - a common moulding was used for the TS, TF and TGS vehicles, and a slightly different one for the buffet car. The first releases of the TGS by Hornby were not modified and so they all have buffers too, it was only around the release of the second GWR green set (ca 2018?) that this feature was finally corrected.... so after about 35 years....!!