Train Trax and Model Railway Magic

Ian_M

A few weeks ago, Keith Blanchard's announced his retirement after 14 years of building up the Train Trax business (https://www.traintrax.co.uk).

Train Trax is exclusively dedicated to Kato Model Railway products in N Gauge. As far as possible it carries the full range of Kato Unitrack and buildings at extremely competitive discounted prices. In stock are all the popular Kato Unitrack track sets, ground level track, viaduct track and bridges, points and crossings, signals, buildings, accessories and much more including Unitram and large range of locomotives, carriages, wagons and sets from Kato USA and Japan.

I'm delighted that I am able to take over Keith's business  and continue this fantastic resource. 

Since the legal transfer, I (Ian - the new owner) have been pretty busy sorting everything out. First the stock had to be collected from Keith's base in Surrey and transferred in a very full van up the M1 to the new HQ in York. Then there was the inevitable chaos of unloading and sorting boxes which had got muddled, and squeezing it all into the storage space I'd set up. Then a few overdue deliveries of further stock from suppliers arrived which I also had to squeeze in, as well as trying my best to keep up with the steady stream of new orders going out.

A few notes about the transfer to allay any concerns:

- I'm aiming to keep up Keith's high level of service, great pricing and product range.  I'm really sorry if there are any hiccups or delays to orders while we're transitioning everything - do let me know if there are any problems.

- We had professional advice not to announce the transfer before contracts were signed. In the end the legalities were completed very soon after that. I'm sorry if it came as a surprise to many.

- All pre-order information has been transferred. When items arrive in this country I'll be sending invoices - these will come from my company's QuickBooks system but I'll also try to drop you an email. Payment can be by BACS or PayPal. Items will be shipped as soon as possible after payment is received.

- For a while Keith is still around in the background to deal with queries and issues about previous orders, and to provide a bit of technical and product support if needed. Please contact me in the first instance and I'll pass on the queries.

A note about the company:

Model Railway Magic Ltd was founded early in lockdown by me as a part-time business 'model recycling programme' buying and selling second hand model railway items. For  the moment it is just me, but that may change in the future. Do get in touch if you have items which you'd like to convert to cash. I'm intending that Model Railway Magic will continue its model recycling programme under its own brand as well as operating Train Trax full-time, and planning future ventures!

A note about new releases:

There have been a few new announcements from Kato Japan and Kato USA. I haven't had time to list them on the website just yet, but let me know if you are interested in pre-ordering any of them.

I lurk here on RMweb quite a lot so do DM me if you have any queries.

Ian M

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Tomorrow morning (8th March) I'm hoping to launch a new website for Train Trax, which will involve the site being unavailable for new orders for a couple of hours. Please place orders as soon as possible if you think you might need anything urgently!

Following the upgrade you'll see a better, more secure site that works well on mobile devices, allows more choice of payment methods and a smoother pre-order process. Importantly for me it will make maintenance much, much easier!

All accounts and order history will be transferred and of course the same range of fantastic products at fantastic prices.

Train trax fan and user here, I spent a few hundred ££ on Unitrack during lockdown and always got a good service.  Im glad it will still have a presence and I still think that Kato has a lot of potential in the UK market.  I also think that Unitrack in particular is underated, its awareness profile needs to be raised more somehow (e.g. advertising campaign etc), to a lesser extent Unitram too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 5 months later...

I haven't provided much in the way of updates here as I've been fairly busy over the last 6 months or so! I am still lurking and happy to answer queries though...

One of the things that's got fairly interesting is helping the Yorkshire Area Group of the N gauge Society with distributing kits for T-TRAK modules.  This week Train Trax is having a special week concentrating on these. Follow on facebook for more...

I currently have stock of all the different types of T-TRAK laser cut module kit. This now includes junctions, singles, doubles, triples, outside and inside corners.  Each kit is simple to assemble and produces a baseboard ready to lay track. Uni-Track and cables available as optional extras.

All available form https://traintrax.co.uk/t-trak

Use 'T-TRAK-10' coupon code for 10% off all T-TRAK kits this week - I need to clear a bit of space. Contact me if you want more than two, as further discounts may be available for bulk buys going to the same address.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm currently holding a January sale. Substantial discounts on all sorts of stuff - take a look: traintrax.co.uk/sale.

If you're interested there's two reasons why I'm doing this: primarily because such things are traditional around this time of year and also because I'm planning to move my store room to a much bigger unit (on the same site) in February. Less stock will make the move easier, and then I can spend the cash on re-stocking bigger and better than ever.

Clearance prices remain in place until the end of January, and there will be very limited re-stocking during this time across all lines. Get your orders in early! If you're looking for something in particular that shows as out of stock then please do get in touch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the next few months I'd really like to recruit someone else to assist with the next stages of the business's growth. This could be an opportunity for the right person to help drive Model Railway Magic and Train Trax into new areas.

MRM is a small, but ambitious company that sells model railway items online. Our success so far has been driven by our passion for delivering good value and excellent service.

Do you have a strong interest in Railways and/or Modelling? Are you looking for a fulfilling career with a company that aims to have some fun? Do you want to work for an organization that is committed to making a positive impact in our community?

If you'd like to know more and feel you have some useful skills, then please do get in touch. I'm very open to different ideas on how this could work, but the role would need to include hands-on tasks at the York HQ.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've started preparing for the York Model Railway Show, which is happening in just over a week over Saturday, Sunday and Monday of the Easter weekend. The Train Trax stand will be a bit bigger than I did at Leeds or Doncaster, so what would you like me to bring? If you've already started writing a shopping list then do let me know and I'll try and bring everything you want. If there's something that you'd just like to have a look at 'in the flesh' without any obligation to buy it, then again just drop me a note here or email to sales@traintrax.co.uk

York is a great show to visit - always a good variety of subjects modelled and always to an inspiring standard. In total circa 120 stands expected at the show. Catering isn't bad either once you've found it somewhere upstairs! 

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since making an update here, mainly as things have been busy! I announced a sale firstly to face book followers, and then my general email mailing list so it's certainly been a hectic few days getting a huge lot of orders packed and despatched! However the sale continues until 12noon on Monday, so I expect we'll be keeping the postie busy for a few more days.

You'll find some massive savings (more than 30% in some cases) on Japanese, North American and European trains. Browse to https://traintrax.co.uk/sale or go to each category page and look for the items marked 'Sale'. In most cases these items will not be restocked (generally the distributers we use are now out of stock).

In case you're wondering, the company end-of-year stock taking is coming up, so we need to reduce stock to make everything a bit more manageable and make room for new items!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We've been working towards this for a while, but finally I'm able to make our BIG announcement. Train Trax UK is now stocking the full range of HO gauge Kato Unitrack.

https://traintrax.co.uk/unitrack-ho-gauge

We're expecting N gauge to remain the most popular for us, but we kept getting asked for HO gauge track so we've decided to give it a go.

I'm sure you don't need to be told, but the benefits of N gauge Unitrack (Simplicity, Robustness, Reliability) all apply just as well to the HO version.

I'm referring to it as HO here, but this track works just fine with  OO gauge trains. If you're frustrated with other brands of track, why not give it a go?

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

19 hours ago, Ian_M said:

We've been working towards this for a while, but finally I'm able to make our BIG announcement. Train Trax UK is now stocking the full range of HO gauge Kato Unitrack.

https://traintrax.co.uk/unitrack-ho-gauge

We're expecting N gauge to remain the most popular for us, but we kept getting asked for HO gauge track so we've decided to give it a go.

I'm sure you don't need to be told, but the benefits of N gauge Unitrack (Simplicity, Robustness, Reliability) all apply just as well to the HO version.

I'm referring to it as HO here, but this track works just fine with  OO gauge trains. If you're frustrated with other brands of track, why not give it a go?

That’s good to know. I already have an N starter set, which I use for 009. It’s easier than the Bachmann version to set up and take down and works very well – the controller is very nice to use. From time to time I have thought about getting an H0 pack for test purposes. One question, though: does it come with a standard UK mains plug?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Kato Unitrack is superb, I  know many serious modellers hate this sort of system track but it's a very high quality product, the ballast effect looks very good and it's a very comprehensive range including excellent double track with super elevated curves and concrete roadies. Out of the track systems of it's kind I think Kato does it best. Good to know there's a good UK source.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It looks like exactly one year ago that I advertised for some help with TrainTrax. Happily that resulted in @JSModels joining me for a couple of days each week which has worked really well.

I'd now like to expand the work we're doing with our Model Railway Recycling programme, but have limited capacity to do so at the moment. So we're hunting for the right person to join our team and help us photograph, catalogue and pack second hand model railway items. It would be varied role as we'd like them to take a lead generally with our customer service (phone and email), and also assist with processing Train Trax UK orders.

Training will be available but the right candidate is likely to have some existing interest and knowledge of model railways.

Excellent IT skills and attention to detail are vital for this role. Other useful skills may include simple loco repairs and maintenance, and/or some digital marketing experience.

All this happens at our York HQ, so the correct person would need to be within travelling distance or be willing to relocate.

We could offer the job on a part-time or full-time basis to the right candidate. Salary dependent on experience but at least equivalent to the real living wage.

Please share with anyone you know who might fit the bill.

• Like 2