Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

2 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Nick, i bet that gets extended ?

I will probably be tempted but will have to resist. As all my layouts are exhibition layouts I can't do with the hassle of large layouts anymore!

2 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

we must have a catch up ?

Yes, I never some up your neck of the woods anymore but if your ever in the Bodelwyddan area pop to our depot as I stay in most of the time now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I will probably be tempted but will have to resist. As all my layouts are exhibition layouts I can't do with the hassle of large layouts anymore!

Yes, I never some up your neck of the woods anymore but if your ever in the Bodelwyddan area pop to our depot as I stay in most of the time now.

Okay Nick, will do, but I was thinking more away from work, and chatting about trains 😉

best regards

Craig 

51 minutes ago, muddys-blues said:

Okay Nick, will do, but I was thinking more away from work, and chatting about trains 😉

Are you going to the Colwyn exhibition in Craig Y Don in July?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the new Dapol brake vans getting some attention. Dapol seemed to miss the fact that B953501 had Grey ends so I have fixed it, TOPS code of CAO applied with new electrification flashes and other transfers applied. Pretty sure the rain strips on the roof are wrong I think they should be straight. I can only find a couple of photos of this van in 1975 so modellers licence has been used. Still work in progress with the weathering.

IMG_9768.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, Nick G said:

One of the new Dapol brake vans getting some attention. Dapol seemed to miss the fact that B953501 had Grey ends so I have fixed it, TOPS code of CAO applied with new electrification flashes and other transfers applied. Pretty sure the rain strips on the roof are wrong I think they should be straight. I can only find a couple of photos of this van in 1975 so modellers licence has been used. Still work in progress with the weathering.

IMG_9768.jpg

Nice job Nick, I have the same van, are you able to share a link with the photos you used please? 

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Nice job Nick, I have the same van, are you able to share a link with the photos you used please? 

Thanks, Only one photo (the same one twice!) I could find so I assumed it would have had the TOPS code CAO applied before 1980. The photo is on Paul Bartlett's excellent site.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3833371a#h3833371a

Edited by Nick G
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Thanks, Only one photo (the same one twice!) I could find so I assumed it would have had the TOPS code CAO applied before 1980. The photo is on Paul Bartlett's excellent site.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3833371a#h3833371a

This is the higher resolution version as provided to Richard at Dapol  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/eb601af63

I doubt there is a single BR brake van that had roof rain strips like the model. I just cannot get Dapol to alter them. They were a feature of some of the earlier LNER brake vans but even most of theirs had straight strips - some are visible in https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Thanks Nick, no idea how I missed that as I was looking at his galleries last night.

• RMweb Premium

I've not seen grey ends before - bit strange! At first I thought it was the light but there are a couple of much clearer photos than the one linked so no doubt. 

Are they in service or in the process of being reworked and that is either undercoat or grey that was underneath plating that has been exposed?

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I've not seen grey ends before - bit strange! At first I thought it was the light but there are a couple of much clearer photos than the one linked so no doubt. 

Are they in service or in the process of being reworked and that is either undercoat or grey that was underneath plating that has been exposed?

Maybe wrong but it denotes its an unfitted van. Some were painted all grey.

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Thanks Nick, no idea how I missed that as I was looking at his galleries last night.

Luckily I just put the van number in the search box and it found it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Maybe wrong but it denotes its an unfitted van. Some were painted all grey.

Ah the good old days before 1963 when BR had a painting policy. Railfreight red (itself a variable colour usually called bauxite) for piped and power braked wagons and grey for unfit. After 1963 a brief period when everything was to be red. And then anarchy. Looking through my 1/506 quite a lot are red with grey ends, and unfitted. But there is 1/500 which is grey and clearly full vacuum braked (rare on BR built brake vans) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan500/e2a66d451  And then of course many wagons of all sorts were only patch repainted (if lucky) so old colours were to be seen for decades after they ceased to used.

It is necessary to find a photo from a suitable prototype at a suitable time period and be guided by that. That is what Dapol have done. As Nick suggested forwarding a livery by c5 years then adding a TOPS code is very suitable. BR owned wagons did get TOPS coded over the few years following its introduction. Privately owned wagons took far longer to display TOPS codes. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3833371a#h3167021a

51 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

many wagons of all sorts were only patch repainted

Looking through, aside from the grey ends, many others have much brighter/fresh bauxite ends or metal plating (there is one with planks running horizontally as well). Were the ends much more prone to wear and the number with grey there is simply where they've been patched up with a handy can of grey? Some ends are not entirely grey which makes me wonder if its not so much a deliberate livery as a bit more "dont care".

This one suggests that did happen and a few others with random grey on the sides rather than ends but not as many:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/h3833371a#h3167021a

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

They are a minefield, plated ends, horizontal planking and two different widths of vertical planking. Also plating above the buckets which I have added to my model. Don't forget in later years the small grab rails on the sides were removed. Most had the curved rain strips on the roof replaced with straight rain strips which could angle either way. As Paul rightly said you need to find a photo of the prototype you plan to model.

Edited by Nick G

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick G said:

As Paul rightly said you need to find a photo of the prototype you plan to model.

Totally agreed although rather easier for my period, 1957! I was just curious whether the later grey ends actually had any significance or were just haphazard maintenance.

Edited by Hal Nail

Another new acquisition is an Ellis Clark Trains Presflo. I ordered it with medium weathering but I have toned it down slightly, added electrification flashes and painted the buffer shanks silver. I will probably get another couple.

Presflo-18-6-22.jpg

• Like 15

Another Dapol O gauge brake van almost finished. Ducket painted Bauxite, weathered and correct electrification flashes applied and roof repainted. Looking at pictures of these CAR vans in Bauxite & yellow I am struggling with what colour the Ashford 3-pipe arrangement should be. Looking at photos of these vans they range from Black, Bauxite and Yellow. There is a photo of this exact van on Paul Bartlett's site but it shows the other (non pipe) side!

IMG_9827.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nick G said:

I am struggling with what colour the Ashford 3-pipe arrangement should be. Looking at photos of these vans they range from Black, Bauxite and Yellow.

I'm fairly sure I've seen white as well but frame dirt is probably a safe bet...

Incidentally if you wanted to renumber any of these, Dapol's do come off easily with a bit of IPA and a cocktail stick.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nick G said:

I am struggling with what colour the Ashford 3-pipe arrangement should be. Looking at photos of these vans they range from Black, Bauxite and Yellow. There is a photo of this exact van on Paul Bartlett's site but it shows the other (non pipe) side!

IMG_9827.jpg

There is no particular colour they should be, the pipe colour there meant nothing to ops staff they were just painted whatever was to hand - on my two I've painted them on one  white and on the other black 

Edited by 101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1