West Highland Line station lamps from the 1970's and 80's

young37215

• RMweb Gold

Along the WHL there appeared a generic and distinctive station lamp comprised of what appeared as a telegraph pole styled post and a twin dustpan style lamp. Indeed when looking at pictures it could be that the telegraph poles were pre-existing and simply had power and lights added to make them dual purpose. Many of the stations on the WHL were equipped with these, no one to my knowledge produces a model that could be used to replicate them. Apologies for the pun but can anyone shed any light on the origins of the lamps and/or more detail about them. I need about 10 for my WHL layout and hope to persuade a small manufacturer that there is a market to sell more into should they make some for me. 

Examples at Arrochar and Ardlui can be seen below.

37.027 'Loch Eil' arriving at Arrochar Station. Sep'84.

Class 37 - Arrochar & Tarbet - August 1982

1980-04-12_27.105_ ardlui.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No further information forthcoming thus far so another prompt in the hope that knowledge of the origins of the lamps exists somewhere within the RMWeb fraternity. The station lamps I am interested in were located at

Garelochead

37403 n

Arrochar, 1983 view below

37 in scotland

I am not sure when they were replaced, the picture below is from 1989 and shows the light still in place.

37403 Arrochar

Ardlui

37043 Ardlui 28/10/83

Tyndrum Upper

37.043 'Loch Lomond' deps Tyndrum Upper Stn. Oct'83.

Bridge of Orchy

Class 37 Diesel Bridge of Orchy

Rannoch

37.043 'Loch Lomond' at Rannoch Stn - from train. Jul'82.

Tulloch

Hand Over Your Lupins*

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

they strike me as unusually tall posts for platform lamps

Rather than being vandal proofing, I think your point adds weight to the hypothesis that the poles were originally installed for telecoms and only at a later date were lights added as an afterthought. As you say, changing a failed light would have been fun, I would not fancy climbing one of the posts in a typical west highland breeze

I am wondering if I might get more information from one of the Scottish railway archives which seem pretty well informed