21t coal hoppers. Riveted body question

SouthernBlue80s

I am slowly compiling a rake of these, kit building and modifying RTR stuff.

I am aiming for as much variation as possible. My time frame is the early 80s.

My first five, some finished some not.

20220201_142434.jpg.3ec54a56bde12cd42ed598f9ee96d316.jpg

My question is. Would any with rivited bodies survived into the early 80s in revenue earning service?

Or would they have all been rebodied by then. Or unrebodied welded.

Thanks 

Steve 

9 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The closest to riveted bodies was the Huck bolt rebodied ones produced by Dhildon circa 1977. 

Riveted ones by then were only in NCB internal use. Norwood and Lambton coke works had some.

Thank you Mark. That was the answer I was expecting.That clears it up for me.

The only pics I found of Riveted with later dates on Paul Bartlet's site were internal user.

Thanks again.

Steve

I need to revisit the one on the left then. And the one on the right is going to be really hacked about.....picked it up for 9pounds.

20220201_142423.jpg.effecc6a78633d721486c5aa2e4a9611.jpg

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 1

I have mentioned in various threads before but the British Steel strike which commenced in January 1980 saw BR suddenly faced with a surplus of coal wagons of various types. To avoid cluttering up BR yards in the coalfields with empty wagons we on the WR received a GOSLING instruction (Hold back following until further advised) on all unfitted coal wagons.

Wagons becoming empty at coal depots in the West Country were held at various locations. Bridgwater yard held empty MCOs from the ROF. Empty HTOs from Wapping Wharf CCD in Bristol were held at Ashton Meadows sidings, and I think 80 more were held at Clifton Bridge Sidings on the Portishead branch. The former up relief line west of Taunton held HTOs from Taunton CCD, and I think the engineers sidings at Exminster were used to hold empty HTOs from Exmouth Junction CCD. Many of these wagons were never used in traffic again and eventually went for scrap.

Therefore certainly on the WR the number of HTOs MCOs and MDOs in ordinary wagon load traffic declined rapidly in 1980.

scan0059a.jpg.6b2d7587fbe84f59311d0888d5ff59ef.jpg

In the top right corner of this view of Taunton Fairwater you can see the long line of HTOs still standing on the disused up relief line. 24/8/81

scan0004a.jpg.44aefb0d62eb15f60c9b98ac061fb0de.jpg

In Bridgwater Yard you can see empty MCOs in three of the sidings, 08281 has just arrived from Taunton and has commenced shunting. 12/9/80.

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1