Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How to strip paint off Triang 3F

I’ve got an old Triang 3F with tender, it was the maroon LMS livery but someone has painted it in the past. I wanted to strip off the paint and give a a blow over in Matt black and attempt a BR black version. Chassis and motor need work but it seems to have a smoke generator fitted so I’d like to try and get it back to working order.

Anyway what be recommended to strip the paint but not damage the plastic (if even possible?)

Below is a photo of the tender to show the drippy paint, it’s at least 20 years old if not more (the paint that is) I got it second hand in the 90s

42A4F680-717D-4395-8456-61D57FAF0B24.jpeg

Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. Put in a zip lock bag, spray liberally, squeeze out the air, seal bag, come back in an hour, remove from bag and wash off in cold water with an old toothbrush. :good: 

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I agree, its a bit smelly, best done in a sealed box and in a shed

I've just done one and it didn't smell anywhere near as much as it used too.  I  filled a glass and stood the loco in it, kept it on the worktop, there was a slight smell when I disturbed it, but nothing much.