County Tank conversion in 4mm?

Hi all,

Just a thought, inspired by some of the backdating/conversions of ready-to-run GWR locos posted on here. What do people think about a similar "bitsa" approach to making a 2221 County Tank? Hornby recently modified their 38xx County to loco drive, so superficially at least it wouldn't be hard to create a tank version. The tricky bit, as I see it, is that the Tank had the No2 boiler rather than the No4 of the tender locomotive.

Any thoughts?

Will

22-61.jpg.641d9b5a6625e5cfc1302c3a472dfb47.jpg2230 was built with a Std 4 boiler, but only ran like that from Oct 1906 to Jan 1907. You'd think an Airfix/Dapol 61xx body wouldn't be a mile away, but I've overlaid a 61 drawing on a 2221 drawing for you here, and the differences do add up. I've lined up the boilers - if you line up the footplate the bunker and cab match better, but the 4-4-2 boiler is pitched just over 6in higher which would rather notice, especially as the tanks on the 4-4-2 are lower and longer. Still, for all its deficiencies the Dapol kit isn't that expensive, and one could butcher a few...  

Edited by JimC
replace lost image
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have had this chassis lying about for several years

679.jpeg.159e6ccdb85edf133dc942ce06888764.jpeg

680.jpeg.f328d8fe6d15826f6d41479397b2f860.jpeg

Initially thought it was a GNR/LNER Atlantic chassis of a Southern 4-4-2 but when I checked it was the wrong wheelbase. On checking its an early style chassis for the GWR County tank, I found some cylinders in the spares box, so my thoughts turned to kit bashing an Airfix/Dapol Prairie tank kit. Then I remembered I bought a part built Alan Gibson county tank kit and my enthusiasm waned. Still a few bits missing but if I looked hard enough I could find most  

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, JimC said:

2230 was built with a Std 4 boiler, but only ran like that from Oct 1906 to Jan 1907. You'd think an Airfix/Dapol 61xx body wouldn't be a mile away, but I've overlaid a 61 drawing on a 2221 drawing for you here, and the differences do add up. I've lined up the boilers - if you line up the footplate the bunker and cab match better, but the 4-4-2 boiler is pitched just over 6in higher which would rather notice, especially as the tanks on the 4-4-2 are lower and longer. Still, for all its deficiencies the Dapol kit isn't that expensive, and one could butcher a few...  

22-61.jpg.ddde4df836704867256adc419c2235d9.jpg

Hi Jim,

Dapol butchery was where my mind was going too, so thanks so much for taking the time to overlay the drawings, it's very insightful. 1906/7 is a bit before my modelling time period, but I suppose it would give me an excuse to build a set of Ratio/Shirescenes 4-wheel City stock for it to pull!

Will

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 08/02/2022 at 16:24, hayfield said:

I have had this chassis lying about for several years

679.jpeg.159e6ccdb85edf133dc942ce06888764.jpeg

680.jpeg.f328d8fe6d15826f6d41479397b2f860.jpeg

Initially thought it was a GNR/LNER Atlantic chassis of a Southern 4-4-2 but when I checked it was the wrong wheelbase. On checking its an early style chassis for the GWR County tank, I found some cylinders in the spares box, so my thoughts turned to kit bashing an Airfix/Dapol Prairie tank kit. Then I remembered I bought a part built Alan Gibson county tank kit and my enthusiasm waned. Still a few bits missing but if I looked hard enough I could find most  

I have reapplied the photos and found a whitemetal cylinder block, with the amount of kits I have to build there is no way I will ever contemplate doing a conversion when I have a Gibson kit to finish. I don't think its scratch built or a Jamieson product, perhaps designed for an early Romford motor, perhaps a conversion chassis for the Kitmaster Prairie ?

I think its time to let things I have like this go as it may well encourage someone else to do a bit of kit bashing. It came in a lot of other items and as I said I initially thought it was a Great Northern  Atlantic (I have a K's kit with a dodgy chassis) and its been on the "it may come in useful" shelf for far too long