Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT - or is it? An unexpected discovery!

I recently purchased a loco on EBay listed as "Kit built possibly K's" which was which I bid on as I like the heft and feel of a white metal bodied loco - and it was cheap!

On arrival it soon became clear that it wasn't white metal and looked like a Bachmann Ivatt 2MT body on a Triang/Hornby chassis with added pony trucks.

My first action was to place the body in a container of brake fluid to strip off the thick LMS red under which could faintly be seen the original BR numbering and lining,.

It soon became clear that this was no standard Bachmann body but a quite well done conversion from a Ivatt 2M 2-6-0 tender loco using a white metal cab , steps and push/pull fittings, brass detailing fittings, and  plasticard tanks and bunker. 

Which begs the question why anyone would go to the trouble of carrying out the detailed conversion when Bachmann already had the 2MT in its range? 

However I like the clever workmanship and value the uniqueness of the loco on which the builder spent so much time and skill, and will try to return it to its former glory after the presumed acquisition by an unsympathetic owner who so poorly painted it red. 

fullsizeoutput_98e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_985.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_98d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_989.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_98a.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hornby Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 altered I'm afraid. The chassis is probably the original. Quite a common alteration at the time.

1970s model that wasn't in the range for long as it wasn't very good, especially when compared to the Mainline BR 4MT 4-6-0 that was available at the same time.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=36

I'm wondering whether the extra bits are from the Crownline detailing kit. A manufacturer that made kits to alter models into other types. Long gone, but some of their kits are now available as PDK Kits.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ah that explains a lot, I'd forgotten about the Hornby Ivatt class 2, as you suggest the conversion is probably Crownline as looking more closely the bunker base and framework look to be white metal as well.

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense now.

Doug

• Like 2

Notwithstanding the previous posts - which all make sense - what you've got is a good example of "how things used to be", as it were, and it's great to see you bringing it back up to presentable condition. Especially if you got it for a good price :D

I look forward to seeing this progress :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks Mark, £18, fits my budget!

I will endeavour to post improvements when they happen though it's one of several projects currently underway.

Just received from EKM Exhibitions are a new pair of Bachmann cylinders and valve gear from the Bachmann 2MT which will replace the Hornby cylinders and valve gear.They also list a base plate for a 2MT and coupling rods again 2MT, worth chancing that they'll fit at £3 and £2 respectively. 

Thanks for your interest.

Doug

Edited by Virgil
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I have used Crownline detailing kits in the past. Especially for the old H/D 2-6-4 and found them very good. But I cannot understand why they would have made a complete kit for the Hornby 2mt when there were thousands of the older Triang 2mts about. Or perhaps you could use it to upgrade both the engines. It would be a much easier starting point to go with the Triang engine like the one in the picture below. With a bit of work you can end up with a nice engine as in the second set of pictures.

DSC_1110.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

3mt 1.jpg

3mt 2.jpg

3mt 3.jpg

3mt 4.JPG

• Funny 1

That's a BR 3MT 2-6-2T though.

Not much use if you wanted a LMS Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T. At the time there was only the K's Kit version or you could alter the Hornby model. ISTR there was a few articles in the magazines showing you how to do it.

Nowadays if you wanted one you'd just buy one of these.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/72381/31-442-Bachmann-LMS-Ivatt-2MT-Tank-1205-LMS-Black-(Revised)

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Apropos of nothing, the Bluebell are doing a similar thing, starting with a BR Standard 2 78xxx 2-6-0 (an Ivatt in almost all respects) and making it into a BR Standard 84xxx 2-6-2T (ditto - effectively an Ivatt as well).

Real life imitating models :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1