Suggestions for new RMWeb features?

• RMweb Premium

Hi RMWeb team,

Hopefully this is the right place for this? If not, please feel free to move it. 

Having been a user of the forum for a few years and having seen it develop so successfully, I wanted to ask if you can share any future plans for the platform?

The two specific features I’d like to suggest are additions to the existing set of ‘reactions’ available to posts:

#1 A ‘want’ button - I think this would be useful across the site to indicate you’re interested in a new product or that you would like to replicate/recreate another modeller’s piece of work

#2 A ‘froth’ button - if there’s one thing RMWebbers are rightly famous for, it’s our ability to get excited about a product, an announcement or indeed a mistake

I hope these suggestions are useful. 

Keep up the good work and thanks to everyone for contributing to such an interesting little corner of the ‘interweb’.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Thanks Ian,

I can see some angles for that but they may possibly get mixed with the purpose of others. Happy to discuss.

Suggestions from my end...

• Someone standing in an over-excited puddle.
  • An axe being ground.
  • Don't try this at home.
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. Good to know that there might be options for future enhancements. 

I suspect if you implemented the first of your suggestions that might get used quite a lot!

One other thing that might be easy to tweak would be to make the site search use the complete phrase a user enters rather than the words individually. You can do it by doing a search and then selecting the option that comes up. But the search isn’t always that quick to load and it’s an extra click. 

This is the option I mean:

85007291-38CC-4FC4-BFEB-7F923E14A266.jpeg.cf9713696e7e8b0598c04c03450deacc.jpeg

It returns 9 results rather than 201.

I reckon if people search for a string of words that’s because they’re looking for something quite specific but depending on what the site analytics say that might not be the case for RMWeb. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MrTea said:

One other thing that might be easy to tweak would be to make the site search use the complete phrase a user enters rather than the words individually

Most searches work in that loose form to return a wider range of results. As with Google or any other search function you can use inverted commas (as in the suggested alternative) to return tighter results as it must contain everything within the commas rather than just one part or another.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In darker moments I sometimes feel that a STFU button would be useful, but then realise that the only person it would help would be me, and it would almost certainly exacerbate the issue which caused me to click it in the first place.  "Ignore User" and "ignore topic" are so much more conducive to general happiness...

For me, the search function as it is works fine.- It conforms to Boolean logic as used generally in database searches and allows more fine-grained searching.

Richard T

6 minutes ago, RichardT said:

In darker moments I sometimes feel that a STFU button would be useful, but then realise that the only person it would help would be me, and it would almost certainly exacerbate the issue which caused me to click it in the first place.  "Ignore User" and "ignore topic" are so much more conducive to general happiness...

For me, the search function as it is works fine.- It conforms to Boolean logic as used generally in database searches and allows more fine-grained searching.

Richard T

But only visible to the mods and yourself - that way if a post gets enough STFU then they can mute the poster :lol:

Edited by woodenhead
apostrophe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Andy should make more use of the colour scheme to help those members who truggle with subtle hints

Thats mildly amusing

Thats mildly annoying

That old chestnut again !

Oh really ???

Go away for 24 hrs, you've given me a headache

"Sigh" make it 48 then

Ok lets try a perma ban then   :butcher:

:nomention:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2