Berner Oberland Bahn.

On 12/02/2022 at 02:53, MOB FAN said:

What was your vantage point for photos 4-6?
Sadly, the BOB is like all the other narrow gauge railroads, losing it’s identity with lookalike equipment. I go back to the old brown and cream days.

Thanks for the pics.

David

I'd guess pictures 4-6 were taken from near the top of the Harder Kulm, you can certainly get those views from up there.  I totally agree on the paint scheme, even worse are some of the sponsored WAB trains which look like old fashioned tin biscuit boxes covered in Coop Logos etc 

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, the BOB is like all the other narrow gauge railroads, losing it’s identity with lookalike equipment. I go back to the old brown and cream days.

Thanks for the pics.

David

complete with steam haulage...........

BOB5.JPG.4582589c53914a50dac00eb9d8372dfc.JPG

A frame captured from my VHS

Edited by melmerby

Strangely the Schynige Platte railway track just visible in the steam photo above still uses steam at the start and end of the season, the overhead electrical lines are only in place from late spring to late autumn, and they use the steam loco to put up the lines (and I assume take them down later) at the start of each season, it can also be seen during the year on special occasions, I was once lucky enough to see it bedecked with garlands of flowers taking a bride and groom up to the top, Looked stunning.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2022 at 17:08, DGO said:

Strangely the Schynige Platte railway track just visible in the steam photo above still uses steam at the start and end of the season, the overhead electrical lines are only in place from late spring to late autumn, and they use the steam loco to put up the lines (and I assume take them down later) at the start of each season, it can also be seen during the year on special occasions, I was once lucky enough to see it bedecked with garlands of flowers taking a bride and groom up to the top, Looked stunning.

Bob1.jpg.cde8133cac978c4b659f5e05b2436f3b.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed much nicer with the older stock, like this from our visit in 2005. Was it really 17 years ago?

IMG_0913.jpg.2c77feb646fdad4b8f5523fa5c89b900.jpg

And nice to see the Schynige Platte is still as it ever was! Here also from 2005.

IMG_0570.jpg.03184d537236d7a51c0cc54b4fc50f74.jpg

Many of my vacations occurred when the Schynige Platte wasn’t running, but I did manage to ride it one time. I hiked back down from the top (gravity assist). The views down the valleys were superb, and everything looked oh so tiny. I highly recommend it.