Converting DCC to analogue

Hi All

I just bought the Hornby (I think Railroad) Jinty in LMS  red running number 7414.  I think its R1144 taken from a freight set.

Having googled the  thing before I bought it second  hand I was expecting it to be analogue (or at worst  the standard 4 pin decoder  that I could  easlily  replace with the standard 4 pin blanking plate.

Having taken the  body off it seems that it is   wired to a DCC  decoder -  and not via the 4 pin connectors I had expected.  Possibly someone   else  has  done this to  convert from analogue to DCC (as  there is a lot of insulating tape wrapped  round things).

I  want to convert it to  analogue running but need a  bit of advice re the connections.

I attach  two photos of the  wiring.  It seems to me that the red and the  black wires are connected directly to the pick ups (one for each  side - one being live  and the other the  return  side) and the body / motor is directly connected to the grey and the orange wires.  (The green, yellow,  white  and purple  wires do nowhere).

If it just picked up on one  side I could  easily work out  what to  connect to  what but the  way it is I'm not at all  sure!

So  the  question is: which  wires should I connect to  convert to analogue  running?

Help!

jinty 7414.jpg

jinty 7414 2.jpg

Edited by carlwebus
Just taken apart a Hornby 0-6-0T that does have a four pin decoder - and it looks like grey to black and red to orange?

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, carlwebus said:

it looks like grey to black and red to orange?

Probably. The worst that would happen is it runs in the wrong direction, in which case swap the grey and orange wires over (red to grey & black to orange).

Thanks Guys.  That's most helpful.  Mike: it will move on DC but very sluggish. In any  event, sometime ago I asked Hornby what the phrase "DCC  fitted, analogue compatible" meant. They said "You cannot use a digital locomotive on analogue track and vice versa. The model you have mentioned is now 18 years old and as such if it has been fitted with DCC it will have been hardwired, but if this has been done it will not be compatible with analogue".

• RMweb Gold

As you’re dispensing with the decoder, simply “chop” it out leaving the original loco wiring - one wire to each wheel pick up side and two to the motor. If you can’t visibly identify the wheel pick feed wires, use a multimeter to do so. Temporarily connect each pick up wire to a motor wire. Ensuring these connections do not touch and short out, test loco for direction of travel. If direction is reversed then swap these pick up/motor connections. When satisfied, slip some shrink tubing over the wires and solder the joint, finally sliding the tube over the joint and carefully apply heat (side of soldering iron tip).

Hi all,

I did this with a Hogwarts Castle. As suggested, I just cut away all the DCC wiring and soldered the wires from the pick-ups directly to the motor. I worked perfectly. It is a bit of pot luck as to which direction it will run. But you can always unsolder and swap them over if it is that much of a problem. It is easier with a rolling road. That way you can put the engine and set the power. then manually touch the wires to the contacts. Then solder them on.

Edited by cypherman

17 hours ago, carlwebus said:

…… I asked Hornby what the phrase "DCC  fitted, analogue compatible" meant. They said "You cannot use a digital locomotive on analogue track and vice versa. The model you have mentioned is now 18 years old and as such if it has been fitted with DCC it will have been hardwired, but if this has been done it will not be compatible with analogue".

What they told you is partly nonsense (analogue on a DCC layout is a no no, but the other way around should be OK), but then they may be playing safe and assuming anyone making such an inquiry is an idiot.

• Agree 1