Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Underground monorail under North london

48 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Interesting to see that the cables phases are still marked red, blue and yellow.....

Andy G

I would hope anybody working on such cable was thoroughly familiar with old as well as new colour codes. and know how to convert between the two.

Even Joe Public doing DIY knows the score on single phase.

On 13/02/2022 at 09:02, 2750Papyrus said:

I wonder if it had been used to pull the cables through during their installation ? Eurotunnel used a similar monorail to install the cables for the 'Elec-link' interconnector.

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2022 at 09:02, 2750Papyrus said:

Under North London, there exists a private underground monorail service, some 20km long, running from Elstree to St John’s Wood in the centre of town. You can’t ride on the monorail, and it’s not an escape route for Royals or rich oligarchs, it’s actually owned by the electricity grid — and it’s their inspection railway.

Oh, all right them, I'll ask the obvious question - Which tube line does have the escape route for Royals etc?

I thought it was from Westminster station. Never got a definitive answer from the staff when I worked there, (perhaps sworn to secrecy) but there were areas I was not allowed in when doing a survey, which was unusual when we were doing that.

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I thought it was from Westminster station. Never got a definitive answer from the staff when I worked there, (perhaps sworn to secrecy) but there were areas I was not allowed in when doing a survey, which was unusual when we were doing that.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/private-entrance-from-westminster-tube-station-for-mps-6995/

• RMweb Gold

I notice he pours cold water on the idea of a tube link for the Royals saying they could be helicoptered to Northolt etc.  IIRC the rumours of a link to the Piccadilly at Hyde Park Corner-ish date back to (pre) WW2 when helicopters weren't an option.