Travel Benefits for Preservation Society Members

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

When I was teenager in the 1970s I was a member of the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society and one of the perks was unlimited free travel on the Talyllyn AND (if I remember correctly) the Festiniog as well. I can't remember what the prices were, but I suppose that the cost of membership would have been defrayed by a couple of return journeys. Now that fares are more expensive, I don't suppose the perks are quite so generous, but I wonder which societies offer the best travel benefits.

Here's a reminder of what trip on a steam railway used to cost.

Aberystwyth Station Front entrance 05-06-1971

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The LNER Coach Association has an arrangement for discounted travel on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway where they are based. I'm not sure what the discount is as I prefer to pay the normal fare anyway as they need the money.

If I was lucky enough to be able to travel on preserved railways frequently rather than once or twice a year perhaps I would take more notice of a discount :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2022 at 21:47, Bucoops said:

I prefer to pay the normal fare anyway as they need the money.

If I was lucky enough to be able to travel on preserved railways frequently rather than once or twice a year perhaps I would take more notice of a discount :)

Admirable outlook. If we want the preservation movement to prosper, then funding it is critical. As the Stationmaster has noted, those of us with careers on BR and successors sometimes have cheap facilities offered. Like you I ignore them, and pay up in full. It seems wrong when I have a few coins in my pocket, and no dependants, to get a cheaper trip than young families, with all the expenses that their life entails. 

I recall a friend, a Talyllyn volunteer, working in the ticket office and one day finding the customer to be a very senior railwayman in his 50s, asking for the privilege rate. Mean. Come Monday, my friend would be back to being AYM In Norwood Yard, and the customer would be the Divisional Movements Manager, second in seniority only to the Divisional Manager, and about 7 steps further up the ladder than my friend, with a salary to match. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I recall a friend, a Talyllyn volunteer, working in the ticket office and one day finding the customer to be a very senior railwayman in his 50s, asking for the privilege rate. Mean. Come Monday, my friend would be back to being AYM In Norwood Yard, and the customer would be the Divisional Movements Manager, second in seniority only to the Divisional Manager, and about 7 steps further up the ladder than my friend, with a salary to match. 

a very cultural thing

In the US any major event, would see tickets to the highest bidder, and they would be expected to pay, in order to “be seen”.

In Canada they hope for a cheap ticket to the same event and want to be seen and discovered.

In the UK it would be an exclusive gratis privilege to those of the right social status, or even pay them to “be seen”, if the events not attractive enough.

In Europe it  often enrolls or coerces those of the right social status to donate their time to be seen.

East of Europe, appearance is subject to “whats in the brown envelope for me”.

in Asia everyone turns up to have a gaup if anything can be seen.

In South America theres nothing to be seen, no one cares about being seen, but everyone shows up and makes a fiesta anyway.

In Australia no one turns up and theres nothing to be seen.

Finally,

North Korea, every attends but hopes not to be seen.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5