Dapol Schools model question

AndyB

I recently purchased a new N gauge Dapol Schools (Leatherhead) early crest loco.

The RHS crank shaft fell off after a few minutes running and before I'd had a really good look at the model. The retailer did a great job refitting it for me.

I've now started to run it in and notice a part on the rear LHS driving wheel which dangles down loosely and swings back and forth like a pendulum. The component is not present on the RHS so I've nothing to compare it with.

20220222_145223.jpg.2dc06469635ec6c54bfd2b87dd25566f.jpg

I took a look at product images on the web and can just about see it might actually connect somehow at roughly a 10 o'clock angle?

I then had a look at a prototype photo on the Swanage Railway and it seems to fit at a 9 o'clock,  just above the crank shaft.

My question is basically whether the component has come loose and also needs fixing? 

Apart from this it's a beautiful loco and looking forward to it joining the rest of my loco fleet.

Many thanks for any advice.

Andy

Thanks @Graham_Muz. I suspected it might be the speedo cable but glad for the confirmation.

I think that's definitely a job for the retailer,  or more likely the manufacturer to fix as its not obvious how it was originally attached when manufactured.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Thanks @Graham_Muz. I suspected it might be the speedo cable but glad for the confirmation.

I think that's definitely a job for the retailer,  or more likely the manufacturer to fix as its not obvious how it was originally attached when manufactured.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Indeed if recently purchased new then it is the responsibility of the retailer to replace. I assume it should be glued into place.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks like there is tag on top that should fit into a slot under the running board. Should be an easy fix, but best take it back. 

Schools valve gear does seem to have a habit of failing and mangling itself. You see quite a few pop up on eBay with one side all twisted up or missing entirely.

• Informative/Useful 1