Cambrian Models Southern Region Wagon Kits - Summer 2022

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to RMweb so I hope I've done this right!

I'm interested by the stock of the SR and its pre-grouping predecessors. I will probably have quite a bit of time on my hands after June this year, so I'm thinking of building some wagon kits. I've been taken by the Cambrian Models range and was considering buying one each of C66, C79, C98, C108 and C115 (at this stage, anyway) and seeing which kit(s) I prefer before getting stuck into building batches.

I mostly model post-1948 Southern, but I cannot find transfers for these kits online - although maybe I'm just being silly and they're available from an obvious source! I can only see LSWR, SR, and S&D transfers available, depending on the kit. Please could anyone clarify whether suitable BR-era transfers for the aforementioned prototypes are available? Southern-style lettering with BR numbering or standard BR transfers would both be great. Thanks in advance. 

Cambridge Custom Transfers do specific sets for the Cambrian Kits wagons. However, I have only used them as BR Southern Region versions, so am not sure if he deals with pre-Nationalisation or pre-Grouping versions. In the cases of the LSWR/SECR/LBSCR ones I have modelled, I have used HMRS transfers.

Cambrian LSWR Open Wagons and Vans - 1.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, SRman said:

Cambridge Custom Transfers do specific sets for the Cambrian Kits wagons. However, I have only used them as BR Southern Region versions, so am not sure if he deals with pre-Nationalisation or pre-Grouping versions. In the cases of the LSWR/SECR/LBSCR ones I have modelled, I have used HMRS transfers.

Cambrian LSWR Open Wagons and Vans - 1.jpg

Is it possible to buy a sheet of transfers from CCT with a few specific wagon types, or do you have to go with all the prototypes listed for that particular sheet?

7 hours ago, Merchant Navy said:

Is it possible to buy a sheet of transfers from CCT with a few specific wagon types, or do you have to go with all the prototypes listed for that particular sheet?

As far as I know, you buy the sheet with every wagon type covered in the one sheet. You have to order the regional variation of the sheet, though.

I'm thinking of building up a rake of SECR 5 and 7 plank open wagons, using a couple of items from Rapido (scheduled to arrive next month) for a side-by-side comparison to ensure the kits are accurate. I also took the plunge and created some tarpaulins for a couple of wagons I own; I might create some similar types for the kits this summer. The wagon pictured is a BR-era ex-PO 7 plank wagon.

The tarpaulin is simply made from paper with a mixture of paints sourced from Humbrol and Squires. Not sure if it's realistic though.

image.png.c371a6d2732ab0996f839d32092e8450.png

image.png.e29796d41e45c6d10ae6cc8188ef5435.png

15 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

BR wagon sheets carried lettering and numbers, more or less like this. The small yellow and white numbers are return and issue dates.

Sheet002.jpg

Cheers mate! I might consider opting for a few of these. Even from the computer screen, they look authentic. 

Something which I hadn't previously mentioned is my plan to construct some SR 12T Vans, maybe the PC591. There is something so characterful about these vans - maybe it's the roof shape or the double vents! I think that's why I love the aesthetics of the similar-looking SECR 10T van, hence why I'll be focusing on the C98 kit from Cambrian over the summer too. 

15 hours ago, Merchant Navy said:

I saw these advertised today:

BR OO Wagon Tarpaulin Kit (geoscenics.co.uk)

I am aware of these. I can't judge the accuracy of the BR version as they only show the LMS version, but that doesn't have any dates [the low number suggests it would only have the issue date, as return dates were added in the mid-1920s], and the "Return with wagon" wording was not generally present [sheets were common user from 1917].

I'm afraid that my illustration was just to show the appearance of BR sheets; you can't buy one like it, so far as I know. A few years ago I was so fed up with the useless offerings from the trade that I did my own artwork, so I can change numbers and dates as I want.

Update:

image.png.29cd7ceee1da81821fe499c934bc5eae.png

It's not 100% straight (leans to one side a little) but I'm pleased to have got the bodyshell together, especially since this is my first kit-built van. Far from finished though, and I'm looking forward to making improvements with future examples, especially with regard to the fit of the parts and by changing the type of glue used. 

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson

If interested in Southern wagons,  this link takes you to our group’s blog and its wagons. This is an eclectic mix of RTR and kit built in 4mm.

Just a taster, a Brighton van from Smallbrook on a Cambrian underframe.

spacer.png

StaySafe