O Gauge LMS & GWR Vans

Adrian Stevenson

19 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

The extensive photos on the Hattons site correctly show the unfit version with 2 shoe Morton. Hopefully not too difficult to alter the grey one to BR livery. 

Paul

What would be nice is having the parts more freely available to do the clasp versions!

46 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

What would be nice is having the parts more freely available to do the clasp versions!

Join me in asking Richard to do the LMs clasp brake which would be suitable for other bodies they already produce. It is all too easy to have models as Vac braked on pre-1958 models using the 4 shoe brake rigging when so many of these were modernisation era rebuilds of unfit wagons. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Join me in asking Richard to do the LMs clasp brake which would be suitable for other bodies they already produce. It is all too easy to have models as Vac braked on pre-1958 models using the 4 shoe brake rigging when so many of these were modernisation era rebuilds of unfit wagons. 

Paul

Will do.

It's easy enough to get other uses out of the clasp chassis such as the D1927 Medium Goods too for example.

• RMweb Premium

Does makes sense initially to be able to use one new solebar unit for all these new wagons - I wouldnt be surprised if the rest of the chassis uses what they already had from the BR 10 footers.

Now they have a couple of suitable LMS bodies, tooling clasp brakes as a follow on might be more viable.

• RMweb Premium

The livery of the SR ones was mentioned a few posts back but I hadn't realised the BR(S) version is also this brown/grey shade. I'm not sure if they are actually on sale yet tho so may not be the final versions?

@Adam1701D are you able to confirm these liveries?

Incidentally what are the 'N's at either end?

7F-069-002_20230803135822_4021573_Qty1_1.jpg.44a16275a230d2fe7db20aa80feaaf7f.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

The livery of the SR ones was mentioned a few posts back but I hadn't realised the BR(S) version is also this brown/grey shade. I'm not sure if they are actually on sale yet tho so may not be the final versions?

7F-069-002_20230803135822_4021573_Qty1_1.jpg.44a16275a230d2fe7db20aa80feaaf7f.jpg

Kernow have their own images on their website so they are available.

The N means Non -Common user and signifies vehicle isn't in the common user pool of wagons meaning once it has got to its destination it has to be returned to the SR 

Can't remember the reason why it might not be a common user. Thought it was down to it being vacuum fitted but the other van Dapol have done doesn't have the marking

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

A quick look in vol. 4 of the OPC series on SR wagons plate 77 will show you it is a straight forward representation of this wagon repainted in 1948 so with BR S but there wasn't agreement on colours or writing layouts. So it was SR brown. The N isn't explained but presumably because (as modelled) it is written To be returned to Bricklayers Arms (S)

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hope someone can help with a livery detail for LMS unfitted vans in BR early to mid 50's (before the mass fitting). The only photo I've seen of an unfitted later on is black and white anyway and doesn't have black patches. I think it might just be a renumbered one in its previous paint job.

Assumung they did get BR grey and given the M was often placed on the wrap around metal end, would the black patch extend over that as well? Or did they cram the M onto the planks and restrict the patch to them?

Am I right in thinking the later d2039 all had a three piece metal end rather than the 2 of the Dapol model? That's the only obvious difference I can spot.

ta

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Assumung they did get BR grey and given the M was often placed on the wrap around metal end, would the black patch extend over that as well? Or did they cram the M onto the planks and restrict the patch to them?

Depended on the painter I would imagine - not much consistancy in photos to hand.

This one has given himself a bit more space by using the 2nd plank up, using the end and still painting a nice rectangle. Atypical I would guess!

image.png.ee9ab6ea709dff6fef6ca6c6c434c78a.png

Another is on page 44 of The 4mm Wagon Part 2,  on the lower planks on the 2nd panel, below the BR added strapping. Page 46 of the same has number on the end section, 2nd plank up, fitted fully onto the plank with rectangular box covering the number and 12T on the plank above.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Page 46 of the same has number on the end section, 2nd plank up, fitted fully onto the plank with rectangular box covering the number and 12T on the plank above.

Thanks appreciate that. I fancied doing something with the unfitted Dapol one and then struggled to actually find a photo. There is plenty of space for Railtec numbers and the M so I'll pop them on the plank as you describe

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Is this helpful?

The black panel (which is rather rough) partly covers the wrap around metal end. It's a vertically planked version though.

MSC 16 in 1961

yes thanks. although a different wagon a few variants people have come up with show they obviously just improvised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul, odd that I missed that unfitted LMS van on your site - I've been through that section so many times but never spotted that photo! They've gone up a plank there and used the end so ended up with so much room the digits are quite spread out!

Edited by Hal Nail