O Gauge LMS & GWR Vans

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Aire Head said:

The target audience for these is probably people who don't want to kit build and either don't know or don't care about such details.

I think you are correct. however 1970's is a period that seems popular to model now and by that time different replacement axleboxes and sometimes different replacement W irons could be seen. 

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard

1 hour ago, Sitham Yard said:

I think you are correct. however 1970's is a period that seems popular to model now and by that time different replacement axleboxes and sometimes different replacement W irons could be seen. 

Andrew

Axleboxes quite probably - but W irons probably less so and those are the most glaring error. But as l said earlier, the BR W irons will be passable for wagons in the BR period and numbered as for the pre-nationalisation designs built after 1948, for a brief period. The problem is if you wish to depict them as GWR or LMS built vehicles. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Aire Head said:

The target audience for these is probably people who don't want to kit build and either don't know or don't care about such details.

The LMS vans were available from Freightman and crop up quite often on the like ls of eBay and even offer a bit of variety with different ends and sides being available.

Here is a couple of mine to show how they scrub up 

PXL_20220914_191426165.MP.jpg

PXL_20230104_210141820.jpg

They look really nice.

I know about about the Freightman kits but I haven't been able to get one on ebay (yet) - I need 4 ideally.

If only I wanted them when they were available!

Jeff

....I have a cunning plan......   or at least I think I may have.....

If the chassis unscrews from the body (as it seems to) then I can replace the underframe fairly easily with correct bits and make some BR standard wagons that are suitable for the underframe - have to have a close look at them before I buy.

Do they have an unpainted option I wonder?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Scorpio7uk said:

They look really nice.

I know about about the Freightman kits but I haven't been able to get one on ebay (yet) - I need 4 ideally.

If only I wanted them when they were available!

Jeff

GIven their age Freightman were very good, especially fine planking grooves more like Slaters than Dapols but they usually command a premium when they do come up - often well over £50 for an unmade kit. The white metal ABS underframe parts would need work to run anything like as well as Dapols tho.

J and M Hughes do various resin LMS van types.

1 minute ago, Scorpio7uk said:

If the chassis unscrews from the body (as it seems to) then I can replace the underframe fairly easily with correct bits and make some BR standard wagons that are suitable for the underframe - have to have a close look at them before I buy.

The standard Dapol underframe design is a cast block which screws to the body, with plastic side frames/axleguards which just slot in place. Brakes cylinder etc glued into holes in the metal base. There is a rocking beam built into one sidepiece to give compensation.

• Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

The standard Dapol underframe design is a cast block which screws to the body, with plastic side frames/axleguards which just slot in place. Brakes cylinder etc glued into holes in the metal base. There is a rocking beam built into one sidepiece to give compensation.

Very useful - thanks, I should be able to work with that......

Jeff

2 hours ago, Scorpio7uk said:

I haven't been able to get one on ebay

That's probably because of me sorry 😂

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

J and M Hughes do various resin LMS van types.

I have see their website but never heard anyone say anything about the kits. I'm intrigued to know what anyone thinks to them as they do some useful prototypes?

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I have see their website but never heard anyone say anything about the kits. I'm intrigued to know what anyone thinks to them as they do some useful prototypes?

Worth having a look here for various masters being made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

That's probably because of me sorry 😂

Cannot comment on his kits but I do know that it is a part time business. Was father and son but now just the son - I think his full time job is railway S & T with shifts or long hours. Because of this delivery times can be long, possibly up to six months depending on his workload. You need to plan in advance.

Andrew

On 19/01/2023 at 18:34, Aire Head said:

By omitting the diagonal strapping it does allows for them to cover a broader period.

True, and it's an easy enough fix. The other thing Dapol could do would be to slightly modify their BR Vanwide chassis, which would give them the standard LMS clasp brake chassis, which could go under a whole range of wagons.

• Agree 1

On 20/01/2023 at 18:41, 90164 said:

True, and it's an easy enough fix. The other thing Dapol could do would be to slightly modify their BR Vanwide chassis, which would give them the standard LMS clasp brake chassis, which could go under a whole range of wagons.

Yes but you’d still be left with a wagon with BR pattern W irons. That’s my point. Dapol really need to have versions with LMS/RCH style W irons too for all their proposed versions to be accurate. And for those who say it doesn’t matter - it matters to some of us - and it must also matter to Dapol, given their avowed intention as stated in their latest blurb about the Stroudley coaches, to make all future releases to the greatest level of accuracy possible.

I’d like 20-30 of these vans but they become a very expensive proposition if l have to design, produce, build and fit a conversion set to around 60-70 percent of the vehicles l would like to buy. The only other option is the very unlikely event that Dapol would sell the bodies separately for those who would like an accurate GWR or LMS built vehicle. 

David Parkins 

MMP/ABS-43two1 etc 

www.djparkins.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good News!

Had a chat with Richard Webster on the Dapol stand at Kettering yesterday - they realise the error of their ways and will be retooling the underframe so that it has the correct W-irons!

Makes life a lot easier for us who want something to be right - I didn't ask about the axleboxes though - presumably these are separate items and easy for them use ones from their 'stock' that they've already tooled?

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Scorpio7uk said:

presumably these are separate items and easy for them use ones from their 'stock' that they've already tooled?

Excellent news.

I suspect they will be tooling new solebar/w irons/axlebox units as they are one piece as shown above.

Does suggest that it is worth raising issues though because if enough people comment, things get changed.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

These are now hitting the shops. I'm not au fait with the SR and LMS variants, can anyone shed some light on any pitfalls of using them in a c1935 time period? Shouldn't the SR van be brown? 

The lettering dates 7F 069 001 to post 1936 and from memory I think 069-002 is suitable for post 1942 although could be 1936 since it doesn't have reduced size numbers

Looking at the images on Dapol's website it looks like they have changed the livery spec to both be brown from what was originally intended. Both look brown but a very dark shade. Too dark in my opinion.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The lettering dates 7F 069 001 to post 1936

According to the blurb, that's when they were built.

pics here. They have corrected the W irons as promised.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/new-o-gauge-vans-now-in-stock-going-out-to-stockists

Edited by Hal Nail

15 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Out of interest what's the brake arrangement on the LMS liveried examples? Is it 2 shoe Morten?

The extensive photos on the Hattons site correctly show the unfit version with 2 shoe Morton. Hopefully not too difficult to alter the grey one to BR livery. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1