Dia 062 Siphon G question

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

A bit of an obscure query, I am researching Great Western Siphons and have come across a reference to a diagram 062 siphon G which carried a large board which said:

Tote Delivery system demonstration, or something like that.

As far as I can see this would have been in early BR days.

Has anyone any further information on this, I can so far find nothing.

I will be extremely grateful for any assistance or pointers.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Presumably you are referencing a picture in Russell's "Great Western Coaches 1903 - 1948" which depicts W1317W with a board carrying two BR coach crests either side of a "?? Tote System Vehicle" title.

The Tote system was an American idea which allowed delivery of powdered loads direct from manufacturers to end users in leased dedicated containers. British Railways adopted the idea with the license for manufacturing the containers given to  Pressoturn Ltd of Leamington Spa who, from 1959, built a series of "T" Type Containers which differed only in cubic capacities.

A  number of Dia 1/462 12T Pipe wagons were modified with internal springs to hold ten containers, a picture of which (along with further details) can be seen at:

http://emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb184.html

Incidentally the Russell image shows the sign board with an indistinct word before the "Tote System" wording which could possibly be "Pressoturn" - if so I wonder if the picture was taken at Leamington Spa?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

That is brilliant, and yes that is the image I am considering in the shape of one of Russell's prints that was in the late David Hyde's collection. I wasn't aware that it was in Russell's book as I don't have them in my collection:o

This is all in relation to preparing a new edition of the HMRS Jack Slinn Siphons book, written by John Lewis. I am sorting out the pictures for inclusion at the moment and it will be published this year. I'm minded to put this picture in as I think it is interesting, I will take another look at my scan and see if I can decipher the first word.

Thank you again for your reply.

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good news Simon on doing the siphon book especially as Accurascale are doing a cracking model of the G. You need to mention your book on the relevant thread to generate interest and potential sales.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Rob, that is a good idea!

I am hanging back a bit as this project has been "in the pipeline" for quite a while now and I want to be sure that I have got it properly underway before publicising it. All that said it isn't any kind of secret either, so feel free to mention as you see fit. It will be a Wild Swan book, produced with the active cooperation of the HMRS, but extent and price etc are still to be determined.

Having spent the last two weeks or so really going through it I feel I know the subject a little better, John Lewis has done a great job with the text, as you would expect.

I am picture editing and by lunchtime today have got the end of the Siphon J chapter.

If anyone has any brilliant previously unseen pictures then that would still be of interest, a customer recently sent me one of a B4 tank shunting a siphon off a train at Winchester City station(!)

Best Wishes

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/03/2022 at 19:36, SP Steve said:

Hi Simon,

Presumably you are referencing a picture in Russell's "Great Western Coaches 1903 - 1948" which depicts W1317W with a board carrying two BR coach crests either side of a "?? Tote System Vehicle" title.

The Tote system was an American idea which allowed delivery of powdered loads direct from manufacturers to end users in leased dedicated containers. British Railways adopted the idea with the license for manufacturing the containers given to  Pressoturn Ltd of Leamington Spa who, from 1959, built a series of "T" Type Containers which differed only in cubic capacities.

A  number of Dia 1/462 12T Pipe wagons were modified with internal springs to hold ten containers, a picture of which (along with further details) can be seen at:

http://emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb184.html

Incidentally the Russell image shows the sign board with an indistinct word before the "Tote System" wording which could possibly be "Pressoturn" - if so I wonder if the picture was taken at Leamington Spa?

I have checked my scan of an the print I have from David Hyde's collection, and the first word is without doubt "Demonstration".

As regards location, looking at the excellent Warwickshire Railways website I can't see it as being Leamington, but then I don't know the station that well!

Work continues in the book, I may well flag it up elsewhere soon...

In the meantime thank you again for the very helpful information that you provided.

Simon

• Like 1