Scissors crossings on branch lines?

Sun VI

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Certainly heavy rail, and whilst not bucolic certainly a branch-line.

And only one type of (unique) stock too. 2-car cl.504 EMUs working from a 1200V dc side-contact 3rd rail.

• Agree 1

On 15/03/2022 at 13:01, Steven B said:

Bury Interchange, before Metrolink:

50726285997_6b00191d2a_n.jpg

Bury 504 by David Flitcroft, on Flickr

Certainly heavy rail, and whilst not bucolic certainly a branch-line.

It opened in 1980, replacing Bury Bolton Street (now home to the ELR). Converted to Metrolink (with the same basic track-layout) in 1992.

Steven B.

An excellent photo there, thanks Steven.

On 15/03/2022 at 11:44, Rowsley17D said:

There was one on the LNWR Buxton-Ashbourne branch at Parsley Hay where the C&HPR branched off the "main" single line. In the distance of this photo

image.png.2d2d02866fbc264d5f6eae02a47b8561.png

There was also one at Buxton Midland station when the LMS replaced the Midland's interlaced scissors. Photo of the Midland's scissors.

image.png.0f3d76bc7d3694bd2794aeb1deb9382a.png

That lower photograph is a revelation - it must be one of the shortest scissor crossovers constructed.  What a fantastic piece of track work - any volunteers to model it?  It's on the 1922 25" OS map, Derbyshire XV.13, thank you very much.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sun VI said:

That lower photograph is a revelation - it must be one of the shortest scissor crossovers constructed.  What a fantastic piece of track work - any volunteers to model it?  It's on the 1922 25" OS map, Derbyshire XV.13, thank you very much.

Your welcome.

There's an interesting discussion of this formation from page 34 of my layout thread.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Sun VI said:

Probably no shorter than any other as the one crossover has been moved down the track, meaning it is shorter on one side but conversely longer on the other.

EDIT having looked at that map the the track going mid left to bottom right crosses the RH track on a diamond. (could be a slip?)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Probably no shorter than any other as the one crossover has been moved down the track, meaning it is shorter on one side but conversely longer on the other.

EDIT having looked at that map the the track going mid left to bottom right crosses the RH track on a diamond. (could be a slip?)

Yes, there was a slip just to add to the complication of trying to make the point-work in model form. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 09/03/2022 at 11:45, Michael Hodgson said:

Fairly rare I would have thought, as their downside is that the trackwork is more complex and therefore more expensive to install and maintain.

Would you count Bank and Waterloo (Waterloo & City) as branch line termini?

Afternoon Michael,

I couldn't begin to count the number of times that I've been to, or through, Waterloo / Waterloo East, but I've never been on the Waterloo & City Line, and knew nothing about it. So reading-up about it on Wikipedia was both interesting and surprising (seems like I don't get out much).  I did find this comment regarding the track formation at the City end, as installed when the line opened in 1898:

'At the new City station there were two platforms and either could be used by an arriving train, reversing in the platform. The track connections at the approach were a double slip, not a scissors, so a train could not leave while another was arriving.'

Can you provide any further information?

I agree with your comment: 'Scissors tend to be used where space is at a premium whereas branch lines tend to be in the middle of nowhere with lots of room.'  This is why I'm so fascinated to find examples of scissors crossovers being used in unexpected places.  At Great Shefford, which started this all off for me, there wasn't even a signal box.  

Thanks for your interest.

• RMweb Premium

The latest incarnation of a branch line terminus, with a scissors crossover, can be found in east London. The Barking Riverside Extension. This is a photo (reproduced with permission) of the initial installation of the crossover in December 2021. The commissioning of the line is due to commence in April I believe.

1421646840_BRECrossover(Dec2021).jpg.6e86d27a6a00f35b1b089e864550aca7.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

That's poor geometry in my opinion. Someone forgot their Templot.

Similar comments were made at the time, Horrible!, Who signed that off?, Is it an optical illusion?, etc., etc. Apparently it worked fine in CAD and passed all the design algorithms. I'm assured it looks a lot better now.

Abingdon had at least one, possibly two scissors and a double slip:

Abingdon.jpg.ffd6b09330c057f880b976f5ca5ef0bd.jpg

Whomever drew this plan has made rather a fudge of it... the double slip is just above the engine shed, and the scissors is in front of the engine shed, although it may have been an outside single slip in reality - I've never seen a photo of this area.  Signalling diagram suggests a single slip of some kind.

1945483028_AbingdonSignal.jpg.3bea19834cc06e748b56752639586a67.jpg

Marvellous trackplan for a terminus - very modelable.  Pity tis GWR where all the engines look the same.

<hat, coat, etc>

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't see any scissors on that plan.

I've got a better official one dated 1910 in a book and definitely no scissors.

There are two siding crossings and neither are in the running line.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Are the trackworks seen on Railcam Barking cameras anything to do with this project?

I've not viewed Barking Railcam so cannot say for certain, but if it helps the Up and Down Barking Riverside branch diverge/converge with the Up and Down Tilbury between 8MP and 9MP - somewhere around Renwick Road.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

I've not viewed Barking Railcam so cannot say for certain, but if it helps the Up and Down Barking Riverside branch diverge/converge with the Up and Down Tilbury between 8MP and 9MP - somewhere around Renwick Road.

There used to be just three tracks on an originally four track formation a while back with only the outer tracks having OHE.

Recently a fourth track has been added* (in the middle) and 3 tracks now have OHE.

*I dont think it has been commisioned yet.

You Tube feed:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Whomever drew this plan has made rather a fudge of it.

My attempt in AnyRail is a fudge as well. As much as I could try, I couldn't quite match the original geometry, the best i can do has three crossings.

image.png.58ecd759defdb45791e16642c8770720.pngsmb://pinas17.local/public/ralway/Screenshot%202022-03-20%20221333.jpg

• 1 month later...