Mk2a coaches in inter City livery??

spud

Hi everyone! 

Im currently building a collection of 7mm mk2a's all built from Triang big big train coaches.

So far ive done 4 SO's and a single BFK. I remember the colourful late 80's and would love to build another BFK, but in intercity livery ( easier to paint than blue and grey!!) 

My question is, how many mk2a's were painted in intercity? And were there any SO's too?? 

IMG_20220308_101635.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean executive? There was blue grey with extra intercity branding which I assume isn't what you mean.

I don't think many mk2as got executive: Heljan certainly aren't doing any.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

I think you're right-Regional Railways, ScotRail & NSE are the only non-blue & grey liveries I can think of, at least before privatisation.

And being slightly pedantic transpennine,  slightly different to regional railways 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a strange aspect of modelling that if something never happened we don't do it but if there was just one example of something, we are quite happy with that regardless of where it happened and how often!

I set strict rules on time period to keep my liveries prototypical. It is currently 1955 to 1986 but I may have to expand that!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

The Mk2/2a aren't too bad in Intercity - the white band is just under the window, so there's not much dark grey between the white stripe and window.

It was on the Mk1s that the livery was compromised, the deeper windows meaning a sort of sawtooth edge.

Ironically enough, there were many more Mk1 which got Intercity than non-a/c Mk2!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, keefer said:

ISTR mention (and photo?) in the Harris Mk2 book of the IC-livery BFKs being used for Motorail trains along with Mk1 FKs.

Like this:

Image_20220314_0002.jpg.7c351248d07f510718185bd834fa1f48.jpg

Ian

• Like 2