The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Happiness

woodenhead

A senior member of my family possessed this record back in the 1960s, they played it a lot. Even as an adolescent, I never found it an interesting, or easy to listen to pap pop record.

This has probably ensured that I have a lifelong aversion to anyone proselytizing on the subject of happiness, whether accompanied by music or not. 

• RMweb Premium

Can't watch the video from work but the title doesn't fill me with confidence in its content. I regard happiness as the only thing which really makes sense as a goal, everything else serves no rational purpose if it doesn't contribute towards that - and anything that works against it is stupid, no matter how many "rational" reasons are given. Note that I include general satisfaction with happiness, and also a great deal of self-awareness is necessary to avoid the sort of basic mistake that says "if only I had more money / time / whatever then I'd be happy." Obviously true if you're barely able to get by, but at the other end of the scale you have people who seem to think they'd be happy if only they could afford that superyacht with space for two helicopters instead of the one they've got.

"Antifragile" sounds like "learn to put up with the rubbish and just accept it", and whilst the reality of life means a degree of that is necessary in order to get by it shouldn't be a goal in its own right.

Although since I've not seen the video this might all be of no relevance at all.