Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Z21 connection problem

AlanBur

Hi.

I've set up my Z22 controller with the router and started it.

When I try to connect to it, I can see the Z21_4000 network in my pad but it won't connect.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Is it asking for a password when you try to connect ?  You should find an 8 Digit pin number on the bottom of the router, this is the password you need to enter, unless the Z21 ? Is second hand and for some reason the router has been reconfigured. You should also have a network cable running from the Z21 to a lan port on the router ?

In one way, no internet is correct. When I connect from my mobile phone to the z21 router, I get a no internet message once connected because its a local network and the router itself is not connected to my house wifi. I disconnected my house wifi internet connection in order to connect to the z21 router. However the z21 app is working.

My laptop, which has the z21 Maintenanace app installed, is connected to the router by cable but remains connected to the house wifi and uses the internet. This is quite a common configuration I believe.

So the question is, what is the app doing, can you address anything on the layout using the app?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

In one way, no internet is correct. When I connect from my mobile phone to the z21 router, I get a no internet message once connected because its a local network and the router itself is not connected to my house wifi. I disconnected my house wifi internet connection in order to connect to the z21 router. However the z21 app is working.

My laptop, which has the z21 Maintenanace app installed, is connected to the router by cable but remains connected to the house wifi and uses the internet. This is quite a common configuration I believe.

So the question is, what is the app doing, can you address anything on the layout using the app?

Yes I Agree with this. You may find that although you get a message telling you no internet your tablet IS actually connected and you should be able to see a small green connected symbol at the top of the App ? Also if you connect a network cable between the Z21 router and your house router, ( if its within range) you should find  you also get internet access on your tablet even if its connected to the Z21 wifi.

My settup is :- An old router connected via powerline network adapters to my house router which gives me wifi and cabled internet access in my workshop where the layout is, and then an ethernet cable between the old router and the Z21 router which gives IT'S wifi and any connected devices access to the internet. Yup THREE routers but it means I don't have to re configure the Z21 Router. If you wanted to though you could just use powerline adapters to get an internet connection from your house router direct into the Z21 router and cut out the middle one ?

I still can't get connected to my Z22. It says "no internet" and I can't operate anything on my layout. I got two green lights on my router and the centre orange light is flashing.

My house WiFi is on a different floor so impossible to make any physical connection.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 17:33, AlanBur said:

Hi Matt.

Thanks for your input, but the problem is when I try to access the Z21_4000 network l get the message "No internet". I've checked everything and done a reset. What can be the problem?

Alan

That is correct - the tablet/phone is not connected to the internet - it is connected to the Z21 Router.

You should check that you have the correct address set in the app on phone/tablet for the z21 - this will be 192.168.0.111 if you are using the default addressing.

You do not need to connect to either the internet, nor the house wifi - indeed very few people try to do this as it can create issues when you don't know what you are doing :(

• RMweb Premium

Depending on your PC you can something like this:

network.jpg.dc261125a6dfebdab3576270c090b0c5.jpg

My PC has two LAN sockets.

The broadband router is connected to "Ethernet" which as you can see shows as connected to the Internet.

The Z21 router is connected to "Ethernet 2" which currently is working, but correctly shows "No Internet" because it has no connection to the Internet.

• 1 year later...

Hi Due to work I haven’t been able to use my Z21 for some time. Today I was able to test some new Christmas locos and was able to connect my phone - IPhone 11 - and it worked fine. However, my Ipad would not connect.

It was showing as connected to the router in the Settings area for WiFi but in the Z21 app there was no blue line and a a pop up error saying “Network Error”.  I went to the Z21 app setting to reconnect but same message appeared.

Given that the phone is working and I’m able to use the app successfully on said phone it’s clearly something to do with the IPad. Does anyone recognise this issue or have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Edited by Haymarket47
Sense

7 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

reconnect he iPad to the router (I assume it is the router supplied with the Z21)

Hi Iain and thanks for your reply.

Yes, it’s the original router.  In the WiFi settings area on the Ipad it is showing that the Ipad is connected to the router (albeit that it says there is no internet connection which is of course expected).  I have disconnected and reconnected this on several occasions and the IPad seems to find the router without issue each time. It’s when I open the Z 21 app it seems to think there is no connection. I tried going into the Z21 app settings area and hitting the reconnect button to ensure that the correct address was set but it always gives the “no internet connection” error. 

I’m unsure as to why the App thinks it is not connected to the WiFi?

31 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Check you have the correct address for the Z21 in the app - it should be 192.168.0.111

image.jpg.9f4b33e850d6fc95fe20246f625af5be.jpgThis is the address. Router has not been altered from original settings.

Edited by Haymarket47
Add some text for clarification

I assume that the phone is using the same settings, if not then you need to use the same address as shown in the phone.

if the phones is the same then I would suggest deleting the app, restarting the iPad and then reinstalling the app. You may also want to consider resetting the router back to defaults, 

I am only guessing though as I have never seen or heard of an issue like this before.

1 hour ago, flockandroll said:

If it's any help, something similar seemed to happen to me. Completely shutting down my phone, then turning it on again fixed it. Sorry if you have already tried this.

Thank you @flockandroll but that didn’t solve the issue.

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

I assume that the phone is using the same settings, if not then you need to use the same address as shown in the phone.

if the phones is the same then I would suggest deleting the app, restarting the iPad and then reinstalling the app. You may also want to consider resetting the router back to defaults, 

I am only guessing though as I have never seen or heard of an issue like this before.

The only difference I can see is shown on the WiFi settings on the phone as follows. On the phone this setting end in 102 whilst on the IPad it ends as 101? My knowledge of wireless tech doesn’t make me any of the wiser as to whether or not this is correct or significant?

Sorry!

Thanks @WIMorrison. I deleted the app and reinstalled- it is now connecting. I wonder if it was to do with a previous security update on the IPad? 

Now have to figure out how to get the layouts back in that I emailed to myself🤣.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Haymarket47
Deleted images
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I have had this issue on my iphone but I could never pin down a sequence of events that caused the issue. Some days I'd walk to the train shed and the phone app would connect, on other days it wouldn't.

I ended up powering the phone down, and that would fix things.

These days I don't see the issue and I assume that's because I always update my Z21 when new firmware comes out and that Roco have fixed some bugs.

Regards,

John 

• Thanks 1