Actual Pre Grouping Trains worth modelling

I came across this photo on a well know auction. 

T62_U4_T34-6_T27_R2_S3_S9_S6_T38.jpg.93c510cbc00ff3b4cda21cb6343a632f.jpg

There's no copyright on the back.

For all of you who have been lurking at the back of the class and haven't been paying attention there are 9 different designs of coach here including a one off at the front.  The location is Pickles Bridge, Weymouth, circa 1910.  Diagrams are T62, U4, T34 or T36, T27, R2, S3, S9, S6, T38

For anyone interested in the loco I can tell you its got 6 wheels and a bright shiny thing on top and that the seagulls have been decorating the tank.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rather small... By way of contrast a matching rake of 6 close coupled Metro 4-wheelers (can't figure out the diagrams) hauled by one of the lovely River class locos (also with six wheels and a big shiny thing on the boiler) in the Bristol area early 1900s.

MetroCoachesS.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

So folk do you have any photos of interest pregrouping trains that really ought to be modelled?

Many. How long have you got?

Everything from the 2pm "Corridor" West Coast express of the 1890s:

image.png.285efab0560543b08ae611ece8b00d4d.png

[Getty Images / SSPL Image ref. 90780633, embedding permitted.]

to the mid-Victorian suburban train:

lnwrsc90.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image lnwrsc90.]

If it's variety of Great Western stock you're after, how about this view of Leamington, c. 1903, which emphasises that whatever one's modelling period, one needs to include a balance of appropriate stock from the preceeding two or three decades:

gwrls850.jpg

[Embedded link to Warwickshire Railways image gwrls850.]

To support the photographic record, Marshalling Instruction books survive for various routes and dates; I'm aware of ones relating to the LNWR and the Midland, held at those Societies' Study Centres; it's often possible to identify specific carriage diagrams in the make-up of the trains. These surviving documents are mostly from the 20th rather than 19th century.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

In Kew Archive under Rail 938, there is a list of through coaches by year.  This also has the train coaches as well and is quite fascinating as some northern expresses have more through coaches than train coaches.  I still have to get to Kew to look at 938 1 which cover 1892 to 1898.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

In Kew Archive under Rail 938, there is a list of through coaches by year.  This also has the train coaches as well and is quite fascinating as some northern expresses have more through coaches than train coaches.  I still have to get to Kew to look at 938 1 which cover 1892 to 1898.

RAIL 938 :"Great Western Railway: through coach programmes bank holidays and summer division notices"

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1962295.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1