Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

They are not forgotten.

There are memorials which are not "official", example a railwayman died by electrocution on the juice rail near Blackheath Station, his workmates  created and erected their own memorial at the spot where he died.   Some depots have memorials of another kind ,  a large outdoor aquarium at Romford depot, the aquarium dedicated to a railwayman

• Like 3

On 06/04/2022 at 17:38, BoD said:

Before RMweb went offline I found myself in a part of Newcastle station I had not been in before and  came across this.

Heck2.jpg.985600af2717a55d955993771822c0eb.jpg

Heck1.jpg.46bee924f8966f134760ee7046cb54a5.jpg

Quite touching and it is nice to know that they indeed are not forgotten.

I am also aware of the monument on the hill above Penmanshiel.  Are there others?

The location, on Platform 12, is adjacent to the doors leading in to our Signing-on Point

Flower tributes are left on every anniversary. 

There's also a memorial garden, commemorating all the victims, at the site, at the south-east side of the road bridge overlooking the field where the GNER train came to rest. Access at bottom of road ramp up to the bridge

Edited by Ken.W
Correcting auto-in-correct
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Great Heck, like Hixon more than 50 years ago, sticks in the craw by being entirely due to the incompetence of people from outside the railway fence. No doubt other fatal accidents have the same dark distinction. 

My former boss, Don Heath OBE, was on the up service which suffered casualties and was knocked unconscious, although he was fortunate in making a full recovery, I think. An engineer, career railwayman and keen preservationist - with a driver's ticket - he had been Director, Projects, BRB, as well as being Project Director for ECML Electrification, so there was some irony in his misfortune, even if he was relatively lucky.  

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

There is a memorial at Colwich to Eric Goode, the driver who perished in the collision of 19/09/86.

The church at Colwich - Sherry was a worshipper there, used to play for services - was opened up as a rescue centre on the day, and later hosted memorial services. So many locals turned up with kettles for tea to comfort survivors it blew the church power supply! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Great Heck, like Hixon more than 50 years ago, sticks in the craw by being entirely due to the incompetence of people from outside the railway fence. No doubt other fatal accidents have the same dark distinction. 

My former boss, Don Heath OBE, was on the up service which suffered casualties and was knocked unconscious, although he was fortunate in making a full recovery, I think. An engineer, career railwayman and keen preservationist - with a driver's ticket - he had been Director, Projects, BRB, as well as being Project Director for ECML Electrification, so there was some irony in his misfortune, even if he was relatively lucky.  

There but for the Grace etc.

Every time I pass that crash site I think of that incident; I doubt many others on any train even know.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 06/04/2022 at 17:38, BoD said:

I am also aware of the monument on the hill above Penmanshiel.  Are there others?

There’s a memorial on platform 4 at Dundee station to the victims of the 1979 Invergowrie accident and one was unveiled last year at Stonehaven station dedicated to those killed in the 2020 Carmont accident. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I recall seeing a plaque at Cheltenham station commemorating the Ladbrook Grove crash: the HST involved in the collision was the 06:03 from Cheltenham, although the majority of the fatalities were in the Paddington-Bedwyn service with which it collided.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I recall seeing a plaque at Cheltenham station commemorating the Ladbrook Grove crash: the HST involved in the collision was the 06:03 from Cheltenham, although the majority of the fatalities were in the Paddington-Bedwyn service with which it collided.

My usual train (from Reading) to work - and I missed it that morning having been delayed in traffic getting into Reading.   I used to travel normally with three chaps who all joined the train at Cheltenham and thus were able to keep a seat for me at  Reading at a table for four in the leading coach.  I was naturally rather concerned about them and it took a while to find out what had happened as that coach was burnt out in the fire which followed the collision but fortunately, and unusually, none of them were on the train that morning either.  

There were passengers from Reading in that coach who were injured and there might have been a fatality but no sort of memorial ever appeared at Reading although i belieb ve some of those survivors regularly attend the annual service at the memorial at Ladbroke Grove itself although that is not on railway property. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

My usual train (from Reading) to work - and I missed it that morning having been delayed in traffic getting into Reading.   I used to travel normally with three chaps who all joined the train at Cheltenham and thus were able to keep a seat for me at  Reading at a table for four in the leading coach.  I was naturally rather concerned about them and it took a while to find out what had happened as that coach was burnt out in the fire which followed the collision but fortunately, and unusually, none of them were on the train that morning either.  

Was there a specific reason for none of the 3 being on that train - i.e. connecting bus late. Or was it a case of they were all on leave or something.

On 11/04/2022 at 06:11, Andy Kirkham said:

And there's a plaque on Larbert station commemorating the Quininshill disaster

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic2351.html

There’s a cairn:

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/media/20891/the-quintinshill-rail-disaster-4b.jpg?width=501&height=376

and plaque:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/61585

near the actual site of the disaster.

There’s also a memorial to three unknown children whose bodies were found in the wreckage and who are buried in Glasgow:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-13919102

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 12:31, kevinlms said:

Was there a specific reason for none of the 3 being on that train - i.e. connecting bus late. Or was it a case of they were all on leave or something.

I think it was pure happenstance - one was on a fortnight's leave but for the other two, like me, it was just a case of happenstance on the day as much as anything else.

• RMweb Gold

St Leonard's Church, Chapel-le-Dale, North Yorkshire where I occasionally lead services. Memorial to those who died building the Settle-Carlisle line. It's a replacement as the original is in the NRM. Always pay my respects.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a memorial in Charfield (Glos) churchyard to the 1928 disaster and, echoing Quintinshill, there are the "Two unknown" - supposed to be children.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/112325449/charfield-train_crash-memorial

There appears to be many myths around the "Two Unknown" however, the carpenter who was commissioned by the L.M.S to provide the coffins was interviewed during the 1960's and he had a clear recollection of this incident. Apparently the L.M.S , to save the feelings of the unfortunate victims relatives, provided standard size coffins even though in many cases very little was recovered. The intense fire having burnt out of control for many hours. While two small boxes were also provided for remains that could not be attributed any individual. The ticket collector on the train is reported stating that he saw two children in school uniform on the fated train, however, no children were ever reported missing after the accident. Although some local people say following the accident until the very early 1950's an elderly lady dressed in black made an annual visit to pray at the communal graveside.

Also, in Salisbury cathedral, there is a plaque to the victims of the 1906 crash.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1