RMweb

A substitute for ‘modroc’ required

So mid-project, I discover that I’m on my last roll of modroc and I have a big area of insulation foam still to cover. 
The nearest available source is Hobbycraft, but with the price of fuel I cannot justify a drive just for that. Also I have no desire to add to the wealth of any internet shopping billionaires, space faring or otherwise. So, what have I got that I could improvise with? 
I could raid the first aid kit for a crepe bandage and coat it in Filler (pollyfilla). Has anyone tried this?

Gaugemaster still list GM100 Mod-Roc @ £6.25 & GM119 Plaster of Paris @ £5.50.

If you google the product codes & descriptions you will find plenty of on-line small independants*** with stocks & often less than GM prices.

*** I'm sure will will find one or two who do not come into the "internet shopping billionaire" bracket. 👍

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for Sculptamold .. I would say water soaked bandage/plaster off Ama**n is the cheapest and easiest but that probably falls into your internet category!

Rich 

Our club uses discarded carton egg boxes dissolved in warm water and then mixed with plaster (Polyfilla-type YMMV) and trowelled into place over jute sacking that has been hot-glued into place - lightweight and solid.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

All sorted now. I visited Hobbycraft and came back with 6 rolls, a scalpel and another pack of das clay.   Plus a big bag of loose earl grey and another of French earl grey from T2. Plus an Easter egg from hotel chocolate. Got to keep The Wife happy.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2022 at 14:36, Philou said:

Our club uses discarded carton egg boxes dissolved in warm water and then mixed with plaster (Polyfilla-type YMMV) and trowelled into place over jute sacking that has been hot-glued into place - lightweight and solid.

A long discussed topic but I don't think I've heard this recipe before. Do you have any in progress pictures? I'm intrigued to see if it works/looks how I imagine.

@SR71  Ooooh, I haven't any photos, but I'm due over to the club sooner rather than later and I'll ask if they can make me up a mix and I'll take some shots. I can probably take photos of the jute/hessian sacking and WiP as there's always a module or two under construction.

I tried the eggbox mix at home but I had no success as I dissolved in cold water and it didn't soften enough. A plunger-type electric mixer half-hinched - ahem - borrowed from the kitchen is useful too.

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1

I'm still working through a large box of genuine ModRoc obtained via an educational supply company for a fraction of the then retail price. Mrs CKPR-to-be is an infant school teacher and all I had to do to get her to order the ModRoc was to use some of it to make a lunar landscape for her class... 

Struggling to find Sculptamold at a reasonable price, so ordered some of this. While it's a smaller bag, it works out similar to what I paid for Sculptamold last time. Watching Luke Towans scenics videos on YouTube, he uses a similar product called Sculp-It, but that only appears to be available in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

@SR71 I went to the club on Saturday, but unfortunately there were no modules under construction (those that were had gone beyond the landscaping stage), but I have been promised that they will make up a bucket of goop next time I'm there. Next Saturday will probably quite opportune as it will be an all day modelling day - landscaping included.

I did re-ask what the recipe was just to check - they do use carton egg-boxes that are softened in hot water and then a plunger whisk is used to make a slurry. (I shall get the proportions next time). Over here they use a product called MAP which is then added to the slurry to make a softish mix. Its equivalent what is used in the UK for 'dob and dab' when dry-lining a wall, which is a gypsum based bonding compound that probably has a retardant in it so that the drying process is slowed - it is NOT thistle finishing plaster nor browning plaster. The mix can be spread with a putty knife/spatula/trowel over stretched jute/hessian sacking (being an agricultural area it's plentiful around here). It can also be used to sculpt rock faces - I haven't tried but it could well be used in foil moulds too!

Anyway, here a few photos that I took showing general landscaping and sculpting:

P1010839.JPG.4ef84d3909f63e6765a96a4c69b0081c.JPG

P1010840.JPG.5329c1fb938ee5956c1fccc0c33e474f.JPG

P1010842.JPG.1d043e40128e70c8833e0e1cb0aa56fd.JPG

P1010844.JPG.3383eae3b4518334b08ac304cf8f4910.JPG

P1010845.JPG.53ee8459607d768ddfb15e2c2a1f5b5f.JPG

Hope it's of use,

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1